Government takeover of treasure sites

Governments/ruling parties/stronger factions, have been taking over land, especially the best land, since the beginning of time. I doubt rumors of buried treasure prompted any of this, however, things like mineral deposits/rights, historical sites, and tourist dollars probably did. What is really sad in all of this is that the whole process of search and discovery on these properties has been pretty much legally limited to just a select few. That's the real tragedy.

The government hasn't been following their own laws, for years.

One of the major things that the government is supposed to look for is areas that are mineralized. Areas that are mineralized are NOT supposed to be withdrawn. If you look around, almost every wilderness in this country has minerals.

"He who owns the gold makes the rules"

And we have millions of people who buy the environmentalist's garbage.

I used to think John Birch was nuts.

Beth

They are doing the same thing to the waters around Florida. Wherever there is a valuable shipwreck the state is designating the area an "aquatic preserve." The state already claims ownership of all the waters around Florida.

Frankn said:
If I remember correctly, the only right the gov. has on land ownership is The D.C. area in washington and military bases. This whole National Park thing was started by Roosevelt for believe it or not, his hunting lodge.
The Parks are turning into Area 51s for the exclusive use of the sierra club. They are closing roads on public lands, so the older citizens are being boxed out. Frank

Actually, they didn't; here's the link to the "official goberment site" http://www.america.gov/st/peopleplace-english/2008/July/20080715171510cmretrop0.6113855.html

Note it all went to hell completely in 1964 ............. The same year silver was taken away from us for use as currency! Coincidence?

I highly doubt it.

Sky Pilot

SkyPilot,

I think you are pretty darned close - though I would back that up just a few more years. (someone had to work it all out before they started making changes).

Sometime, when we weren't looking, in the late 50's, early 60's - something happened in the dark places of the country. And we, have never
been the same way since.

B

Good info Pilot. :thumbsup:

Mrs. Oroblanco, In my opinion it all started downhill with Franklin D.R. :icon_scratch:

In Connecticut, state parks are off limit to metal detectors except beaches. State and federal forests are off limit too. It is a shame.

@ MrsOrolanco: Thanks B, I'm sure you're right about it starting earlier as you and Brother GrayCloud pointed out. It was definitely insidious. :thumbsup:

@ GrayCloud: Thanks Bro. GrayCloud! :thumbsup:

Sky Pilot

GrayCloud,

Why FDR? The "New Deal"? (and all that emcompassed). The closing of banks until the FDIC was put in place? The "crash", or Social Security, or what?

I'm not sure he had time to do anymore than what he did - but, I will have to admit that, this time period may have been a beginning to the end.

It certainly made government a whole lot bigger than it ever had been - though he was still re-elected by a landslide. (people liked having a place to go back to work to).

But, it may have very well set up a dependence on government that we never got out of. (and government never got smaller).

Beth

FDR was responsible for the first BIG shift from State Control to Federal Control, thus a change from a Republic to a democracy. He pushed for federal government control over states, citizens and land. He invoked federal powers that were not granted in the Constitution. :icon_scratch:

GrayCloud said:
FDR was responsible for the first BIG shift from State Control to Federal Control, thus a change from a Republic to a democracy. He pushed for federal government control over states, citizens and land. He invoked federal powers that were not granted in the Constitution. :icon_scratch:

:thumbsup: And there we have it!

when the Government took over the land around Alamogordo (1945) and the mines on Victorio Peak, they took trucks in and loaded them up with gold ingots weighing 70 - 90 lbs a piece, roughly weighing around 17 tons and they also found the skeletons of 4 dead priests (Jesuits perhaps), with their robes on.

Red John,

You ought to post that info in the "Doc Noss" threads.

GrayCloud,

I didn't mean to rant - my apologies - I'm just sick and tired of being on the "slip and slide" we call our country's politics.

Neither party - for many years - floats my boat. It doesn't matter what anyone says - or what they voted for in the past - they all seem to
eventually line up for more power.

If you actually read the laws that are on the books - the government is supposed to be "stewards" of the public land (I will give in to the fact
that we need certain areas - like military bases, etc.), but, other than that..................................................

Beth

GrayCloud said:

Sounds like Abe Lincoln to me..........

Bum Luck said:
GrayCloud said:
Sounds like Abe Lincoln to me..........

Oh, for sure! Lincoln was indeed the first in a long line of "leaders" to openly use the Constitution of the United States as a doormat, toilet paper etc...

But the land grab came later, in my opinion.

Sky Pilot

Well, I hate to point this out, but the Northwest Ordinance of 1787 was one of the first 'land grabs' then; authors Ben Franklin, Thos Jefferson, and other malcontents and communists.

If you're to the right of that, well, I'd like to hear about it.

Frankn said:
In 1947 Secretary of the Interior James A. Krug ruled that treasure found on Federal property under the jurisdiction of the Dept. of the Interior would belong to the finder provided that the finder [secured permission] from the proper agency to dig for the treasure.

Source please? This might be appropriate in lots of areas............ :)

ooh, ooh, oooh - I can answer that one -but you may not like it.

From the BLM site:

Mineral Material Sales

How to Obtain Sand, Gravel and other Mineral Materials from BLM Administered Federal Lands
The Department of the Interior's, Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is a multiple-use land management agency responsible for administering 270 million acres of public land located in the Western United States, including Alaska. The BLM manages many resource programs such as minerals, forestry, wilderness, recreation, fish and wildlife, wild horses and burros, archaeology, and rangeland.

This article provides general information on the mineral materials program. Mineral materials include common varieties of sand, stone, gravel, pumice, pumicite, clay, rock, and petrified wood. The major Federal law governing mineral materials is the Materials Act of 1947 (July 31, 1947), as amended (30 U.S. Code 601 et seq.). This law authorizes the BLM to sell mineral materials at fair market value and to grant free use permits for mineral materials to Government agencies. It also allows the BLM to issue free use permits for a limited amount of material to nonprofit organizations.

The code:

The Secretary, under such rules and regulations as he may
prescribe, may dispose of mineral materials (including but not
limited to common varieties of the following: sand, stone, gravel,
pumice, pumicite, cinders, and clay) and vegetative materials
(including but not limited to yucca, manzanita, mesquite, cactus,
and timber or other forest products) on public lands of the United
States, including, for the purposes of this subchapter, land
described in subchapter V of chapter 28 of title 43, if the
disposal of such mineral or vegetative materials (1) is not
otherwise expressly authorized by law, including, but not limited
to, subchapter I of chapter 8A of title 43, and the United States
mining laws, and (2) is not expressly prohibited by laws of the
United States, and (3) would not be detrimental to the public
interest. Such materials may be disposed of only in accordance with
the provisions of this subchapter and upon the payment of adequate
compensation therefor, to be determined by the Secretary: Provided,
however, That, to the extent not otherwise authorized by law, the
Secretary is authorized in his discretion to permit any Federal,
State, or Territorial agency, unit or subdivision, including
municipalities, or any association or corporation not organized for
profit, to take and remove, without charge, materials and resources
subject to this subchapter, for use other than for commercial or
industrial purposes or resale. Where the lands have been withdrawn
in aid of a function of a Federal department or agency other than
the department headed by the Secretary or of a State, Territory,
county, municipality, water district or other local governmental
subdivision or agency, the Secretary may make disposals under this
subchapter only with the consent of such other Federal department
or agency or of such State, Territory, or local governmental unit.
Nothing in this subchapter shall be construed to apply to lands in
any national park, or national monument or to any Indian lands, or
lands set aside or held for the use or benefit of Indians,
including lands over which jurisdiction has been transferred to the
Department of the Interior by Executive order for the use of
Indians. As used in this subchapter, the word "Secretary" means the
Secretary of the Interior except that it means the Secretary of
Agriculture where the lands involved are administered by him for
national forest purposes or for the purposes of title III of the
Bankhead-Jones Farm Tenant Act [7 U.S.C. 1010 et seq.] or where
withdrawn for the purpose of any other function of the Department
of Agriculture.