Attachments

• IMG_4549.jpeg
    IMG_4549.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_4548.jpeg
    IMG_4548.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 10
This Cobbs blade was found in Shelby County Indiana 05/11/1999. Made of Harrison County Flint, the rind area is clearly visible and has much mineralization. This blade is complete, the darker area in the first photo is due to shading. When found this blade was lying flat on the east facing rise.

A favorite material, this flint is found less and less by me, now that moldboard plowing is out of favor.

1721742825445.png

1721742946948.png

This laurel chert cobbs blade, one of my favorites, was found 01/02/2000 in southeast southern Indiana. The blade has extremely fine pressure flaking all around the edge, giving it an almost serrated look. I was driving from a site to another site when I spied a small knoll all by itself. I spoke to the elderly farm woman who gave me permission to walk through the cow pasture to the knoll. The knoll was no larger than a "normal" kitchen (small) and this was the only relic found there. It was lying flat, completely exposed

1721815697930.png

1721815775093.png

I found this large 5.25 inch cobbs April 1991 in southeastern Indiana. Darrell and I were hunting a field and I was cutting across the trough between two hill crest when I spotted the base of this sticking out about 2 inches of the ground, straight up. I called him over and he pulled the blade out, it making a slurping pop as it came out of the wet mud. I think this is made of heat-treated Burlington chert.

I brought it home and Darrell and I were sitting around the table talking and looking at the days finds. I noticed a crack in the edge of the blade, put my finger nail on it and the chip popped out. See location below. Dang.

1725205790725.png

I found this large 5.25 inch cobbs April 1991 in southeastern Indiana. Darrell and I were hunting a field and I was cutting across the trough between two hill crest when I spotted the base of this sticking out about 2 inches of the ground, straight up. I called him over and he pulled the blade out, it making a slurping pop as it came out of the wet mud. I think this is made of heat-treated Burlington chert.

I brought it home and Darrell and I were sitting around the table talking and looking at the days finds. I noticed a crack in the edge of the blade, put my finger nail on it and the chip popped out. See location below. Dang.

View attachment 2166525
Nice addition

I like all the fly specks on that one. Those are very difficult to fake. Especially that many of them. Itā€™s amazing what kind of mineral deposits you can see on an authentic artifact with a stereo microscope. Thatā€™s really all it takes to be your own authenticator.

I like all the fly specks on that one. Those are very difficult to fake. Especially that many of them. Itā€™s amazing what kind of mineral deposits you can see on an authentic artifact with a stereo microscope. Thatā€™s really all it takes to be your own authenticator.
I agree. Interesting material but a nice blade considering.

Interesting. If they are in creeks underwater I have to ask will they still get the mineral deposits on them? Both of mine were water finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back