Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

DSC02076.JPG

Hi ya all Newbie here & found this specimen on a gravel bar and saw the Glint of gold? , rock hammer and chisel & Split her open and not sure if the is gold?, quite a bit of different colored mica around the rock, I can see what looks like Limonite?.
I have Broken of small pieces of the rock & crushed to pan it ……I see iron mica and the Truth is I am NO gold panner so can't separate all the small stuff. Any thoughts re what these minerals are? from knowledgable geo's would be Greatly appreciated. Xmas Cheers

Haha ok. That's good you dig more targets. Sound is all in the detector you are using. It's like your girlfriend that only likes it that one way. Sound can change with depth an placement in the hole/ground. The overlode sound is not a good sound to Jude what it could be. Raise the coil until the sound goes to a nice even sound. And then what does it say. Is it a nice dull emmmmm or errrechhhhh what does the iron tracker do grunt or nothing An the %probability of a gold target. This will all tell you more about the rock itself.
ERRRECHHHHH, no grunting (that's what she said), 0% on Iron.

Heavy Metal?

I received an E-Mail about an unidentified mineral. Can you help. Here goes.

"So a worker from the plant brought over a chunk of a rock he found. This thing is solid metal. It's very dense, very heavy, unscratchable and non-magnetic. I talked to the miner guy and he's stumped too. It smells like a nickel so I thought it might be a solid hunk of nickel ore."

Unidentafied Mineral2.jpg

Unidentified Mineral 5s.jpg

Attachments

• Unidentified Mineral2.jpg
    Unidentified Mineral2.jpg
    608.3 KB · Views: 171
Found this in elmore where i normally collect serpentine

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420884299.078032.jpg
Hey guys if you have any rocks you want identified,, or are having a problem with the composition, Post it with questions, and a brief summary of where you got it..I'm down to help!

And I love to play Stump the Chump!:coffee2:

was told it may be serpentine but I have my doubts.

I received an E-Mail about an unidentified mineral. Can you help. Here goes.

"So a worker from the plant brought over a chunk of a rock he found. This thing is solid metal. It's very dense, very heavy, unscratchable and non-magnetic. I talked to the miner guy and he's stumped too. It smells like a nickel so I thought it might be a solid hunk of nickel ore."

View attachment 1103826

View attachment 1103831

Based on your description and the pictures, I believe this is Pentlandite which is the principle ore of Nickel. It is not magnetic unless it is heated and is reasonably hard. Try a scratch test on a piece of unglazed tile or the bottom of a coffee mug. It should show somewhere from light bronze-brown to greenish-black. It looks somewhat like the type from Sudbury Ontario. The dark portions of the specimen you have are likely some type of mafic rock or greenstone that makes up the matrix which the Pentlandite is infused into. Here is an example of that type of infusion. http://www.mindat.org/photos/0911819001263282516.jpg. See if you can scratch the surface of the shiny portion with a copper penny and then try with a steel blade. If you can scratch it with the blade but not the penny, I am almost positive it is Pentlandite.

View attachment 1096154

Hi ya all Newbie here & found this specimen on a gravel bar and saw the Glint of gold? , rock hammer and chisel & Split her open and not sure if the is gold?, quite a bit of different colored mica around the rock, I can see what looks like Limonite?.
I have Broken of small pieces of the rock & crushed to pan it ……I see iron mica and the Truth is I am NO gold panner so can't separate all the small stuff. Any thoughts re what these minerals are? from knowledgable geo's would be Greatly appreciated. Xmas Cheers

The rock you have there has the potential for gold. The only way to know for sure is to get it fire assayed to determine the gold content. This particular rock seems to have a lot of pyrite and other sulfides infused into a white quartz matrix. There is heavy oxidation of the pyrite which accounts for all the rust staining and The right hand portion of this picture contains either a sheet of pyrite or gold. The way to tell is to see if it shatters when you pull it apart. Gold is very malleable, heavy and it will bend\flex or can even be cut. Pyrite is very brittle and will snap and crack. In some of your pictures I can see an iridescent sheen over the "gold" section and this is usually a sign of pyrite or sulfides that are oxidizing. However in most cases pyrite contains some gold so it is still worth investigating. I would pull that piece off and see if you have a flake of gold coated with pyrite and iron oxides.

The darker veins you mention seem to have an iridescent tarnish to them also. It could be other iron compounds such as Hematite or Goethite.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421577662.514623.jpgfound this where I normally hunt for serpentine in north east Vermont. Looks much different fr the serpentine I'm finding. Any idea what this may be

Last edited:
Hello, what is your opinion on this stone? I can see copper anything else?get-attachment (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Please send reply as mail and public.

20150122_120755.jpg20150122_120755.jpg
Found this in Wayne County utah can anyone figure out what it is?!

Found in cove fort, utah
20150122_120903.jpg
Maybe turquoise? Anyone?

Last edited:
Quartz with sufides?

Grey quartz with minute inclutions within . Sufides?

Attachments

• steel grey quartz 001.JPG
    steel grey quartz 001.JPG
    494.4 KB · Views: 107
  • steel grey quartz 004.JPG
    steel grey quartz 004.JPG
    381.9 KB · Views: 81
  • steel grey quartz 011.JPG
    steel grey quartz 011.JPG
    314.2 KB · Views: 102
Grey quartz with minute inclutions within . Sufides?

What is the general location of this quartz? It looks like there is minor pyrite and maybe chalcopyrite in that matrix of quartz. I have seen a lot of this type of rock out there. I would assay that sample, particularly if you have some darker portions of that quartz that look metallic. You may have gold tellurides in that sample. What was the host location for that quartz?

I hope that stuff runs for ya. ;)

Grey Quartz

I found the quartz as float near a large iron formation. The host rock is a mica shist. There was a lot of iron stained white quartz in the vacinity. I think I will send to assayer to see if high grade. These oxidised rocks were found in the iron formation about a 100 yrds away.

Attachments

• rocks 4-29-14 002.JPG
    rocks 4-29-14 002.JPG
    598.6 KB · Views: 118
  • rocks 4-29-14 005.JPG
    rocks 4-29-14 005.JPG
    520.6 KB · Views: 117
  • rocks 4-29-14 003.JPG
    rocks 4-29-14 003.JPG
    568.6 KB · Views: 112
I found the quartz as float near a large iron formation. The host rock is a mica shist. There was a lot of iron stained white quartz in the vacinity. I think I will send to assayer to see if high grade. These oxidised rocks were found in the iron formation about a 100 yrds away.

ca.miner nailed your iron oxides with that call, looks like goethite and limonite to me. Find the source of that grey quartz if you can. :) I have some really dark grey quartz on a prospect that runs pretty nice with nagyagite and other gold tellurides. There is minor pyrite and chalcopyrite that is included into the matrix very similarly to your sample there.

Happy Hunting!

How about this one. Found it on my farm in Ga.View attachment 1110140View attachment 1110141

Since no one is answering, I will take a stab at it. That is likely quartzite(tan looking) matrix with either magnetite or biotite in the matrix. See if the black portion is magnetic or try scratching the black portion on something porcelain that is not glazed, like the bottom of a coffee cup or the underside of tile. If it is magnetic and streaks black, it is magnetite. It could also be anthracite coal or graphite as well, if it feels soft or greasy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back