Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I made my yearly recycling run and FOUND a nice rebate!

HPIM4229.JPG

Bid a fond farewell to the junk bin, after looking through it for one final time:

HPIM4227.JPGHPIM4228.JPG

I had saved some of the lead I dug during the year, but probably only half of it. At 40 cents a pound, that was still ten bucks. :)

HPIM4225.JPG

I want to underscore several things.

First off, recycling pays.

Second, I have seen diggers who immediately toss everything that isn't immediately recognizable as a keeper. Bad practice! Keeping a junk bin around for a year helps us to at least have a chance at recovering something valuable---and more importantly, it forces us to clean up all the junk and investigate it! My oldest coin--1722!!--came from brass destined for the junk bin. Of course, in the process of cleaning it up and investigating I found it.

Third, even the small items add up in weight. Think pack rivets are inconsequential? I am assuming they are brass, though they sure read high I haven't scraped one yet to see if it is copper. I have been saving them for two years now, and I probably have 6-8 pounds! GIANT peanut butter jar, filled to the brim. So from now on, even the little lead scraps that arent flint wrappers or musketballs are going in the lead bin.

So...what did I do with the cash? Spent it on MDing gear, of course. ;) Brand new handmade MDing hat, mesh top and wide brim (sorry CRUSADER. Getting ready to retire the floppy hat. :D). Also got a new pair of MDing sunglasses to replace my broken pair and a new pair of muck boots (my last muck boots were bought in the mid 1990s, and they are shot! :laughing7:).

Happy Hunting to All,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 19
Then, you can recycle it-LOL. I wonder if I can recycle Dman? HH, Q.

It depends on whether he makes it back from Texas alive, or whether they decide to throw him in jail or worse for telling that damned joke too many times. :D

That's a lot of junk metal. Nobody ever sees all the junk metal we dig. I've got a good size 5 gallon bucket sitting in the garage too. Glad you were able to turn it into cash! :thumbsup:

That's a lot of junk metal. Nobody ever sees all the junk metal we dig. I've got a good size 5 gallon bucket sitting in the garage too. Glad you were able to turn it into cash! :thumbsup:

Always good to save it. A little extra cash never hurt. With the abundance of crappy TV shows about detecting, folks must think we strike it rich every hunt. I detected 20 years before I dug something worth more than a couple hundred bucks. If I divided up the value of everything I ever dug, and looked at the cost of gasoline, the three cars I went through as a result of digging expeditions, and the cost of detectors and batteries, lunches, and time away from work--it'd be hardly anything per hour. MAYBE a dollar an hour, and certainly not minimum wage. BUT--I don't care. Nobody goes out to catch a fish and complains about the cost of the bait. :D

Never hurts to recycle. I figure I'm going to investigate and clean the dirt off it all anyhow. The only thing I don't bother with is can slaw. Doesn't weigh much, and takes more water and time to clean than it's worth.

Cheers,

Buck

I'm glad you started this thread. It motivated me to take my pile to the scrap yard. I'll post my receipt so others can see current prices for my area of TX. Of course, not everything I took today was from detecting but it's my detected junk that starts the piles! I keep a bucket in the laundry room where I empty my pouch after hunts. When the bucket is full I take it to the barn and sort the metals into separate piles. The "Light #2" listing is mixed metal and junk iron. I see they kinda screwed me this trip, since that second entry for light #2 was actually dirty copper. Oh well...it's practically free money. Lead is looking pretty good at .50 a pound. I need to do some lake hunting and bring home a pouch full of sinkers.

receipt.jpg

I want to start saving my junk now...how do you guys go about sorting each type of metal? I have no idea how to identify anything besides the obvious lead and aluminum.

how do you guys go about sorting each type of metal? I have no idea how to identify anything besides the obvious lead and aluminum.

Brass and copper are an easy one too. However, I've always had a problem with red brass vs yellow brass so I just throw all brass in together. I learned quite a bit from watching the yard guys re-sort my stuff. Luckily the place I go to is good about helping you get the most money by further sorting. I keep a big file and magnet handy in the area where I sort. I file the dirty stuff to see whats underneath and use a magnet to rule out tin that looks like aluminum. This price list also helps me figure out what goes in each pile.

Scrap Metal Prices :: American Recycling Inc. - Fort Worth, Texas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back