Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I made my yearly recycling run and FOUND a nice rebate!

HPIM4229.JPG

Bid a fond farewell to the junk bin, after looking through it for one final time:

HPIM4227.JPGHPIM4228.JPG

I had saved some of the lead I dug during the year, but probably only half of it. At 40 cents a pound, that was still ten bucks. :)

HPIM4225.JPG

I want to underscore several things.

First off, recycling pays.

Second, I have seen diggers who immediately toss everything that isn't immediately recognizable as a keeper. Bad practice! Keeping a junk bin around for a year helps us to at least have a chance at recovering something valuable---and more importantly, it forces us to clean up all the junk and investigate it! My oldest coin--1722!!--came from brass destined for the junk bin. Of course, in the process of cleaning it up and investigating I found it.

Third, even the small items add up in weight. Think pack rivets are inconsequential? I am assuming they are brass, though they sure read high I haven't scraped one yet to see if it is copper. I have been saving them for two years now, and I probably have 6-8 pounds! GIANT peanut butter jar, filled to the brim. So from now on, even the little lead scraps that arent flint wrappers or musketballs are going in the lead bin.

So...what did I do with the cash? Spent it on MDing gear, of course. ;) Brand new handmade MDing hat, mesh top and wide brim (sorry CRUSADER. Getting ready to retire the floppy hat. :D). Also got a new pair of MDing sunglasses to replace my broken pair and a new pair of muck boots (my last muck boots were bought in the mid 1990s, and they are shot! :laughing7:).

Happy Hunting to All,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 19
Just want to be the first to say job well done...money in your pocket instead of the trash....Sweet!

WTG Buck it's great to read all of that and it does pay off, I scratch the noodle at folks wining about the costs of things but they the metals away into the trash. There's a bit tweaking you can do to the brass to make more the next time around.

Good job.
I just got mine in the other day.
Now I have $300 more!

This really is a past time that pays (not saying most of us will be able to make a living at it ) the real payday for most of us I would guess , is
the thrill of the hunt ,and the fun that every outing may bring .

wow im doing this thanks

Way to go on the year's bonus and a great way to teach others to keep all of the trash metal they find! If all MD'ers did as you, there would be less trash for others to sift through as well as for ourselves, the next time we hit the same spot. Heck, a few years of recycling trash like that along with a few bonus trash years, one could afford to invest in a newer model metal detector.

Frank

Exactly right. Six or seven years of saving would mean a detector upgrade. I'll agree with pepperj and say that I have never understood how folks complain about the cost of batteries, but don't want to use rechargeables just because they require a little advance planning, and they will take a big piece of brass they dig and toss it in the trash (even though it is a heavy pipe fitting that would've paid for their batteries that day.) :D I guess it's all really a matter of perspective. I never knew that recycling places took lead. Now I'm going to save it all, because it is so heavy it really adds up. Just curious to see how much I can save. I like to use mine for detecting-related purchases, that way I can say that everything was bought with recycling funds. :)

Way to go on the year's bonus and a great way to teach others to keep all of the trash metal they find! If all MD'ers did as you, there would be less trash for others to sift through as well as for ourselves, the next time we hit the same spot. Heck, a few years of recycling trash like that along with a few bonus trash years, one could afford to invest in a newer model metal detector.

Frank

Gas $ for the mighty Treasuremobile. HH, Q.

Treasuremobile is still kicking. I am going to drive it 'till it either breaks or becomes eligible for vintage plates. :D

And many complain about the trash they dig, now they will see that even the trash is a treasure after saving it awhile!!!

Good Job, you deserve a new Hat!!!

Should pay for a round or two Will....mines a Bud :laughing7:

SS

I resemble that remark Buck. My very first colonial coin - a Virginia halfpenny - was found weeks later in my trash bin. Guess it was critical that I saved all the stuff I couldn't ID back when I first started detecting as eventually I'd figure out if it was trash or treasure. Unfortunately my current practice is after I go through all my finds with a fine tooth comb after each hunt I've been dumping all the trash. I'm not really worried now about throwing out a keeper, but your recycling idea is a good one that I'm gonna have to start doing. Not only are you saving our resources, but a little extra cash in the pocket is never a bad thing. Nice post!

I save my Lead, I just haven't found the room for the rest, but if I retire, I will haul home everything.

I started saving brass and copper about 2 years ago. Just started saving lead within the last 6 months or so. Had a big score on lead a couple weeks ago - pulled about 40 pounds of melted lead out of a spot in the woods along a highway here. No idea what it was doing there. There may be more but I think I got the larger pieces. My local scrap yard was only paying .30/lb for the lead a couple weeks ago. Still haven't cashed any of it in. I think I only have about 13 punds of brass and 13 pounds of copper

I am anxious to see what mine brings when I finally get off my butt and sell. congrats on the junk check.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back