Good well rounded detector

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all. my mom is looking into getting into some prospecting and stuff. she wants to get a metal detector and go out and hunt with me. But not just for gold. she lives in GA and wants to be able to find gold pickers and jewelry, coins to old war buttons. just whatever is there. now obviously if she gets a high dollar 1 it'll do the job. but anyway we where thinking the AT PRO.
so I wanna hear what you guys think and what your suggestions are. Obviously if she went the ATX it wouldn't matter but she's new to this and wants something to start out with and learn what she's doing. I think the at pro or the AT GOLD would be a great starter unit. anyways I leave the floor to you

Upvote 0
I second all the votes for the Xterra 705. Versatile, you can change coils and change frequency, works great for new Hunter or experienced Hunter, is super easy to pinpoint and very important, it is LIGHT. Great all around detector so long as you aren't intending to water hunt.

The AT Gold is a way better detector than the AT Pro. Neither is good in the wet salt water sand. No single frequency detector works in the wet saltwater sand. The Gold Bug Pro or Tesoro Super Lobo would be great to start with.
http://www.losttreasure.com/content/tesoro-lobo-supertraq

Last edited:
Whites Coinmaster GT. All the useful goodies, plus water resistance and auto ground balance. Well under $400.

If its a "starter" detector, why drop a ton of money on it? Best to get something simple, but effective, and affordable. A cheap or hard to use one will discourage her. So, wise to start out with an effective detector that will not make you wish you had spent more for a better one, but not so outrageously expensive you have buyers remorse or take a financial beating when you sell it off for a new one.
I also like water resistance and auto balancing.

Best starter detector in MY humble opinion is the Tesoro Vaquero. I don't own one, but I did. I regret selling it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back