Golden police button - 1800s?

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this button yesterday in an area where the town spread a bunch of fill a few years back. I believe it is a police button made in Cheshire, Connecticut. Based on the plain font on the back, I am guessing it dates from the 1890s to early 1900s. It cleaned up real nice, and has lots of gilt remaining. If anyone has any information about the maker (perhaps the Cheshire Manufacturing Company?) or age, I would love to hear it. Thanks and good luck out there.

IMG_7971.jpeg
IMG_7972.jpegIMG_7983.jpegIMG_7984.jpeg

Upvote 17
I dug this button yesterday in an area where the town spread a bunch of fill a few years back. I believe it is a police button made in Cheshire, Connecticut. Based on the plain font, I am guessing it dates from the 1890s to early 1900s. It cleaned up real nice, and has lots of gilt remaining. If anyone has any information about the maker (perhaps the Cheshire Manufacturing Company?) or age, I would love to hear it. Thanks and good luck out there.

View attachment 2172945View attachment 2172946View attachment 2172947View attachment 2172948
Great looking button 👌
Congratulations

Good button. The Cheshire Manufacturing Company of 493 West Main Street, Cheshire Village, New Haven, Connecticut made buttons (mainly uniform), combs and other small metal items between 1850 and 1901. They then became the Ball & Socket Manufacturing Company.
Thanks for the info, Red-Coat. I wasn’t sure if this was the backmark for that particular company or not. It seems like it should be, but I have seen back marks for Cheshire Manufacturing Company buttons that use the full name, so I wasn’t sure about this one given the shortened name. Thanks again..

Good button. The Cheshire Manufacturing Company of 493 West Main Street, Cheshire Village, New Haven, Connecticut made buttons (mainly uniform), combs and other small metal items between 1850 and 1901. They then became the Ball & Socket Manufacturing Company.
From buttons to ball & sockets (or is it balls & sockets? 🤔) Sounds like the premise for a Depression era screwball (& no socket) comedy! 🤣

Thanks for the info, Red-Coat. I wasn’t sure if this was the backmark for that particular company or not. It seems like it should be, but I have seen back marks for Cheshire Manufacturing Company buttons that use the full name, so I wasn’t sure about this one given the shortened name. Thanks again..
I think the "CT" (for Connecticut) is the clue.
There could be 2 Cheshire Manufacturing Companies, even that both make buttons, but both in the same town in CT? 🤨

Very nice find! 😁

It’s a really nice button
Congratulations on your achievement

From buttons to ball & sockets (or is it balls & sockets? 🤔) Sounds like the premise for a Depression era screwball (& no socket) comedy! 🤣

They merged with the Ball and Socket Fastener Co. of New Hampshire in 1901 to become the Ball and Socket Manufacturing Company. Ball and socket fasteners were what we more commonly refer to today as ‘snap closures.’

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back