Gold prices

...and always will be!

I figure if I have some in cash, some in gold and some in stock...then whichever way they manipulate things I am still ok :-P

Which is better? - a jar full of nuggets? or a roll of 5-dollar gold coins? Has anyone here actually been through hyperinflation like Argentina or Germany
or Cyprus, with banks closing?

Nuggets are great...but coins have a known weight and fineness. I've talked to many people who felt they missed the boat on gold investments...this looks like an opportunity, not a collapse. There is still a "1" in front of the 4 (not 3) numbers that are the "price" of gold in US Dollars, public awareness of the Gold and silver markets has increased tenfold over the last 5 years: The demand for fractional gold and platinum eagles is thru the roof, US junk silver is drying up...store of wealth and a medium of exchange are the lessons that precious metals have given. The situation in Cyprus IS STILL in progress...if all the governments of the EU sell off all their Gold, it will be the new owners that will have hard assets that can be used to rebuild an economy that has been "managed" into bankruptcy.

You won't see the Germans sell off their gold, they are way, way too fiscally conservative for that (due to their own hyperinflation experience in the 20s-30's after WWI).

I also have no patience with the idea that the US Dollar will collapse any time soon. The world buys oil and gold in dollars. It is the safe haven investment vehicle for the world. I could go on...but maybe you get the point of how I see it.

Love to hear thoughtful arguments for other views of course!

Herb makes a good point. For awhile there,I thought I was the only one who remembered $32 an ounce. Even if it went back to that, I'd still look for it because now that I've found it...well it's just so d:unhappysmiley::censored: pretty!:2barsgold:

I remember $35....quite well...$5 Liberty dated 1901 XF cost me $35...quite a premium in those days. My Grandfather remembered $12/oz payout clean fines on his first Seward Peninsula Claim.......

I think I'd prefer the nuggets over the coins. Still looking for my first true picker after 3 years... sigh

With all the manipulation going on who knows, but I will go out on a limb and say gold will bounce back hard and fast when it comes. There is a lot of buying going on
from the articles im reading. Swiss to buy a 1000 tons, was one of them. Wish I had a ton myself!

johnnysau

Panda, no one knows for sure. Read the link in my earlier post to understand recent movements.

The computer is the worst thing that Wall Street got their hands on. Because of the speculators everyone sees the falls and gains within milliseconds. In the old days it took time and by the time anyone notice the market had corrected itself.

The computer is the worst thing that Wall Street got their hands on. Because of the speculators everyone sees the falls and gains within milliseconds. In the old days it took time and by the time anyone notice the market had corrected itself.

Great point Viper, too true!

As Kevin pointed out, the world still runs on greenbacks. There will be no collapse or hyperinflation. Maybe just a slow descent.

For me, it's a long term hold. I'm saving all my gold as a retirement instrument. I've mined every bit I have so no government record exists of my holdings. I truly believe the dollar is at immense risk of total collapse. When that happens the citizens will be forced to barter and trade labor for the things they need just as in the old days. Gold will be considered one of the few "currencies" and it's possible that u will be able to trade a couple flakes for a meal. It's for that reason I'll continue to hold onto every little bit that I can find.

Maybe my tinfoil hat is too tight, but these are very troubling times, and the obamalamadingdong hasn't got a clue as to how to fix it. Even if he did, I doubt he has the desire to oversee economic recovery. The more he destroys the economy, the more dependency he creates on social safety programs. And those dependents directly translate into democratic voters. That's how Romney lost....

Politics aside, Heavy you've got a good strategy. As long as there is growth in the world, IE China & India, there will be increased pressure/demand for PMs.

Again, there will be no great collapse, but a gradual decline of which we have been seeing for some time now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back