Gold or Pyrite ? Found in Beach

testlab

Nov 1, 2015
NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, Prospectors

Well to start off, the other day my wife and I went prospecting in the beach after a storm. I found a rock that look like a meteor but what caught my eyes was that it had gold like shine to it. You can take a look at it before I cracked it yesterday on another post I did.

Any way today I decided to investigate more and scratch the surface/ veins of the rock to get what it looks like gold and it just didn't stop coming out of each grove I picked. So I decided to crack it with a small hammer and I got this, the inside is all full of it. It sure looks like it but what are the odds in NY you know. Here are some pictures.

Thank you for all your help!

KIMG0161.jpgKIMG0162.jpgKIMG0163.jpgKIMG0164.jpgKIMG0165.jpgKIMG0166.jpg

No he's not right when you are testing visible gold, but he is right when it comes to testing gold ore. He might not know how to spot fools gold like a seasoned prospector does, note that you can't test gold ore with a streak test.

I told you what you need to know to test it out.
You can also test it by putting some of that small stuff in a pan with a some sand and a few lead shot the pan it out. Then you will see the fools gold washout before the lead shot. I can tell you that gold is twice as dense as lead, or the same as being nearly twice as heavy. It is so dense that when on the surface it will migrate down to bedrock or until something stops it.

If you had visiable gold it would not crack or crumble, it would react like lead shavings and bend and fold, you can write with high karat gold, just like a pencle or a piece of lead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK, thanks, now what do you mean by "a few lead shot the pan it out? I'm sorry I'm new in this field.

Thank you

No he's not right when you are testing visible gold, but he is right when it comes to testing gold ore. He might not know how to spot fools gold like a seasoned prospector does, note that you can't test gold ore with a streak test.

I told you what you need to know to test it out.
You can also test it by putting some of that small stuff in a pan with a some sand and a few lead shot the pan it out. Then you will see the fools gold washout before the lead shot. I can tell you that gold is twice as dense as lead, or the same as being nearly twice as heavy. It is so dense that when on the surface it will migrate down to bedrock or until something stops it.

If you had visiable gold it would not crack or crumble, it would react like lead shavings and bend and fold, you can write with high karat gold, just like a pencle or a piece of lead.

Upvote 0
I have several prospecting videos posted on YouTube, here's one:

Upvote 0
Awesome Thanks for the help ANT! Ohhwow you must have so much fun! I would love to visit there! All I have is beaches and dirty smelly creeks! lol WOW good job!

Upvote 0
Hello, Everyone

Well I thought it was a rock but after a good closer look and a little buff/scratch it is not, Its all metal like material but not magnetic???? Whats up with this??? I tried my small pen mag which is a strong magnet and picks up pyrite/small meteorite without any problems and I used my heavy duty mag that can lift a heavy monkey wrench. Any Clues? My wife is all over me lol to find out. Regardless this week I will be receiving a melting gold kit and all sorts of testers not only for this metal rock but my wife has a lot of silver and a bit of gold jewelry scrap she saved over the years I did already went to 2 shops and both said they cant test ore/flakes/powder unless it is melted.

Thank you

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back