perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I returned to my gold rush '49er camp over the weekend. My girlfriend found an 1847 large American cent (see in the photos below), a small, cast-iron crotal bell (currently soaking to attempt an ID), and a small round ball.

I was having my worst day ever there. I was using my stock AT Pro coil (8.5" x 11'), which is a big mistake in a jungle environment and wasn't getting any decent, repeatable signals. Mostly "iffy" signals with numbers that were "jumping around." After my better half found her items, I was getting desperate. Finally, I found a decent signal that still jumped around from the 30s to the 70s but was a little more consistent on the high end. I dug it and about 8 inches down, the yellow piece of metal pictured below popped out. I thought it was going to be silver by the number and I wasn't sure what it was. I put it in my pocket for inspection later. Later, after cleaning it up, my buddies are convinced it is gold. It weighs .29 oz and passed some preliminary gold tests (magnet, scraping a plate, etc.).

Can anyone tell me if it's real gold by the photos (or suggest another test I can try at home?)? I plan to take it to a jeweler this week. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0205.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Thanks, Reed. So I guess in the end, all that matters is that it's a gold nugget! And hopefully there will be more where it came from.

In the end you have proven yourself a true gold miner and now it's time to start telling tall stories to everyone you know about the giant nugget you found and put your family in some pics with it :evil6:

IMG_0205p.jpg

I also nominated you for a Banner as this is a great find :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In the end you have proven yourself a true gold miner and now it's time to start telling tall stories to everyone you know about the giant nugget you found and put your family in some pics with it :evil6:

View attachment 1372186

I also nominated you for a Banner as this is a great find :)

You've made my great, great grandfather very proud to be in that photo with my first nugget, Reed! :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back