going to buy a new metal detector ! but want to here what you all have to say

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello every one:hello: ...I don't want to spend more then 300 $ .... I like to hunt for coins ..I would like to hit dimes @ 7/8" ...I like to hunt for relics in the woods next to the old foundations ...

sometimes i go to the beach ...I have a beep and dig..I would like to try something with a VDI.... if Tesoro had a MD with a VDI for 300 $ I wold buy it ....but they do not :icon_scratch: ....so im NOT going with a Tesoro ...and I know vdi will lie :laughing7:

from what I can tell the best bang for my buck would be a Bounty Hunter Platinum...
it has ground balance unlike most MD's in the 300$ price range...
Bounty Hunter Platinum Metal Detector | Shop | Features | Reviews | MetalDetector.com

next up is this Teknetics Delta 4000 or fisher F2 ..looks good but no ground balance .. but it will have better resale value then the Bounty Hunter Platinum even though its made buy the same company fisher as well...:icon_scratch: Teknetics Delta 4000 Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors
Fisher F2 DD Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

this is a new MD ppl seam to like it Teknetics EuroTek Pro Metal Detector
with 11" DD Teknetics EuroTek Pro Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

and last on my list is the famous ACE 350 it seams to go deep but it has a 2 year warranty and seams to fail from what i see on the net .... no VDI # and a awful bell sound :BangHead:....but it looks cool ??? and ppl seam to like it
Garrett Ace 350 Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

so tell me what you all think lol:hello:

Just pick one... eenie meenie money moe style. Seriously, it's not going to make any difference. Really!

None of the ones you have listed are any better or any worse than the other. Oh people will chime in with what they have and you'll get all different answers on which is better and why, but it's faster and no more less accurate to throw a dart!

thanks fella ...have yo u ever used any of them ? I would like to here from some ppl that have used 1 or more of them .. just out of curiosity .. I know I know ...this drum has bin beaten to death :laughing7:

fella so you have used all or1/ 2 of them and you think there the same ...that's interesting ... I see you have used the whits Coin master Pro would that be in the same league and whats the deepest coin you have dug with it ?

Oh brother...First it was have I used any of em, now it's all or at least half before my assessment is valid. Ok I got it!

Is it so hard to fathom that similar priced machines would have similar performance? You're looking for Porsche performance on a Pinto budget. Good luck!

Whats better the Ford Mustang, Chevy Camaro or Dodge Challenger?

As for my Coinmaster Pro, yeah it's as equally worthless as any Ace or BH I've ever used. I wouldn't recommend it and I'm glad I sold it. Thanks for reminding me...I'll remove it from my profile.

I know you're looking for a standout amongst your list...it simply doesn't exist. I still like the eenie meeenie miney moe solution!.

Last edited:
No I don't think you get it at all....You must have taken my comment out of context. I was just asking a question. I'm just trying to get some good info... you thought I was being some kind of smart ass....... well sorry for that... I'm not that great at writing... I'm trying to gather as much information as I can if someone owns one of these machines and would like to chime in that's what I'm looking for maybe there's a part on the machine that constantly breaks I want to know all these little things....you seem to be bothered by posts like this.... instead of being bothered why don't you just pass them up as if they do not exist...

you seem to be bothered by posts like this.... instead of being bothered why don't you just pass them up as if they do not exist...

Ah yes! The preverbal "pass it up if bothers you" response. I'll one up you with my own "try using the search function" response.

Good luck in your search regardless! Hope you find what you're looking for!

I own the ace 350 and its a good machine I've found silver, relics and plenty of trash with it. Yea the bell tones are annoying but if you work it and figure it out its a great machine for the price. I use headphones around my hat or neck and turn volume up and it's not overly noisy that way. I have never used the other machines you mentioned so can only give opinion on ace. As far as durability it hasn't let me down. I'm surprised at the depth I'm getting too. It is hard to work in trashy areas but I usually dig a lot to get rid of trash. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Moving on...So, I really think the F4 is a lot of detector for the money, as is the Minelab Xterra 305 (both $399). I realize this is a bit above your price point, but these are still great machines considering they have adjustable ground balance, they are worth the extra money. If you aren't worried about ground balance capability, then the F2 with the 11" dd coil for $299 is hard to beat. It will smoke an Ace 250! You can get a nice used machine for a great price these days (Thanks Diggers and the rest of the detecting show's)! I really like my Minelab Xterra 505 that I purchased used with 2 coils, for $360 ($550 new). If you really want a Tesoro and are looking for alot of silver coins, get the LOWEST frequency detector they make in the price range you are looking at. The Tesoro's are sensitive & fairly deep, but be prepared to dog a lot of trash, especially while learning it. let us know what you decide or if you have any other questions. HH, Scott

No I don't think you get it at all....You must have taken my comment out of context. I was just asking a question. I'm just trying to get some good info... you thought I was being some kind of smart ass....... well sorry for that... I'm not that great at writing... I'm trying to gather as much information as I can if someone owns one of these machines and would like to chime in that's what I'm looking for maybe there's a part on the machine that constantly breaks I want to know all these little things....you seem to be bothered by posts like this.... instead of being bothered why don't you just pass them up as if they do not exist...

Hey silversurfer, I can't really help you with your specific question but I can tell you that after using an ace 250 for 5 weeks or so, I ordered an AT pro. I found stuff with the ace but it left me wanting more. While the 350 is an upgrade from the 250, I would urge you to spend a little more. I'd been considering an Etrac but for me, I just wasn't ready to drop that much cash. The AT pro was my second choice and Bart at big boys hobbies said for the money, it's the best choice. I mentioned my Tnet membership and he gave me a great price. Also I meet a guy in my local park who had one so I got to try it out. Should be here Friday. Can't wait. If there's no room to move with your $300 limit then so be it. Whatever you decide I hope you are pleased. HH

Good luck in your search regardless! Hope you find what you're looking for![/QUOTE]

thanks fella ...try to have a nice day :headbang:

Hey silversurfer, I can't really help you with your specific question but I can tell you that after using an ace 250 for 5 weeks or so, I ordered an AT pro. I found stuff with the ace but it left me wanting more. While the 350 is an upgrade from the 250, I would urge you to spend a little more. I'd been considering an Etrac but for me, I just wasn't ready to drop that much cash. The AT pro was my second choice and Bart at big boys hobbies said for the money, it's the best choice. I mentioned my Tnet membership and he gave me a great price. Also I meet a guy in my local park who had one so I got to try it out. Should be here Friday. Can't wait. If there's no room to move with your $300 limit then so be it. Whatever you decide I hope you are pleased. HH

thanks mercury1 ...The AT pro... hmmm ...damn i will need 300 more i will give it some thought ...it will take me so long to save for that but you may be right ... fella pissed in my cheerios :sadsmiley:but he is kind of saying the same thing lol

Moving on...So, I really think the F4 is a lot of detector for the money, as is the Minelab Xterra 305 (both $399). I realize this is a bit above your price point, but these are still great machines considering they have adjustable ground balance, they are worth the extra money. If you aren't worried about ground balance capability, then the F2 with the 11" dd coil for $299 is hard to beat. It will smoke an Ace 250! You can get a nice used machine for a great price these days (Thanks Diggers and the rest of the detecting show's)! I really like my Minelab Xterra 505 that I purchased used with 2 coils, for $360 ($550 new). If you really want a Tesoro and are looking for alot of silver coins, get the LOWEST frequency detector they make in the price range you are looking at. The Tesoro's are sensitive & fairly deep, but be prepared to dog a lot of trash, especially while learning it. let us know what you decide or if you have any other questions. HH, Scott

cool info thanks i did not know low frequency detectors are better on silver ...that's what i like hunting for ...and yes i thing ground balance is a good thing to have especially on the beach .. i have bin e mailing this guy about a used fisher f5 for 250$ he just will not get back to me ....

cool info thanks i did not know low frequency detectors are better on silver ...that's what i like hunting for ...and yes i thing ground balance is a good thing to have especially on the beach .. i have bin e mailing this guy about a used fisher f5 for 250$ he just will not get back to me ....
That's why I like my Xterra, as I can change frequencies, depending on coil choice. A frequency in the 6-9 kHz range is great for silver and all-around use though. Higher frequencies are generally better on gold. That's really a great deal for a used F5. Make sure it is the newer one that has the screw on coil connection as opposed to the push-on connector. The screw-on versions have less problems with EMI. Oh, and speaking of EMI, the Teknetics (Greek series) are known to be chattery, & very sensitive to EMI, so that may be something to consider also.

thanks mercury1 ...The AT pro... hmmm ...damn i will need 300 more i will give it some thought ...it will take me so long to save for that but you may be right ... fella pissed in my cheerios :sadsmiley:but he is kind of saying the same thing lol

I know they list for around $600 but Bart hooked me up. I was surprised by his price with Tnet discount.

I just bought the whites coin master GT I used it a bit yesterday found a few coins seems like a good machine it was 399 and has the same features as the AT Pro.

cool info thanks i did not know low frequency detectors are better on silver ...that's what i like hunting for ...
George Payne did research years ago which indicated that silver U.S. dimes respond best to a frequency of 2.7kHz, and that most U.S. coins show up best when utilizing a frequency of 10kHz or below. Also that gold responds best to frequencies of 20kHz or higher.

Additionally, lower frequency will penetrate the ground deeper than higher frequency. It's not a HUGE difference, but it can matter where a couple of inches may mean the difference between success and failure.

Oh brother...First it was have I used any of em, now it's all or at least half before my assessment is valid. Ok I got it!

Why the attitude? Obviously, he wanted more info than just "Yep" you have used them.....

If you dont want to share dont respond!

I do agree this topic is talked about over and over again on here...

I agree that the AT PRO may be a better machine for you. I really don't know about a machine with a VDI for $300 that is going to get dimes at 8" and work at the beach as well. I think your best bet is to get one of the machines you mentioned and find as much as you can then sell your finds and then upgrade to a better machine. Most people have paid for their machines with their finds. I paid for my first machine (in 1979) the first day I took it out. I also have paid for my DFX, MXT PRO and TDI within a few short months after purchasing them. Two years ago I sold some of my silver that I found for over $600. You said you didn't like the Tesoro but it is in your price range and an excellent machine. When I first started detecting they did not have machines with VDI's. You had to learn the tones. (technique I still use today even with a VDI machine) Just a thought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back