Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since my vehicle has been in the garage to have the transmission repaired, I have been catching up on some things I should have gotten done over the winter, lol. One of these was cleaning, rolling and depositing clad. I have been separating the zincolns in good shape from the mangled, toasted ones. I started keeping the 1982 and prior copper cents and take the zincolns in loose to be counted and deposited. When I took some examples of the bad ones in, the teller told me they can't take them and I should probably just throw them away! I asked her shouldn't the US Mint be aware of counts so they can replace them? She wasn't too sure and gave me the phone number for engraving and printing. I emailed them and asked the correct procedure and, like I thought, they gave me the link to the Mint. Their site says you must mail coins that are mutilated to the Philadelphia location for reimbursement. My first thought is this: isn't the cost of packaging and mailing going to be more than face value of the returned coins? I don't understand why banks shouldn't be the middleman for US citizens and the federal Mint. I am thinking it would be better to just start rolling the zincolns and including some of the toasted ones in with the good ones. What do you guys do with yours? I may as well just start seeding tot lots and my buddies' hunting spots, lol.
http://www.usmint.gov/email/MUTILATEDCOIN.pdf

Last edited:
I have responded similarly to other threads like yours, roll them up and deposit them. My bank has never flinched.

I spend them a few at a time. As you say - postage to mail cent is probably 3¢ after the first two dozen at 46¢

It also takes me $1 in gas to get to the nearest CoinStar. I suppose I could roll them and take them to my bank, but if their counter doesn't later accept them when run through they'd deduct the fails from my account.

if you not an artist....u kinda screwed.Now consider this....the rest of the free world has no idea what we are talking about.A bent or toasted zincoln never enters their world.I say this..smash em straight..take em all to the coinstar...refeed em a few times and take what you get.Those coinstar dudes WILL get credit for em

cheers

Throw them at zinc lobbyists. This is largely their fault.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back