molonlabe12

Dec 27, 2014
Columbus ga
Detector(s) used
At pro
Garret carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doing research and went down a rabbit hole. Seen an article from 1830s or 1840s of a land for sale ad in and old paper. States that it had 100acre gold deposit that pays 1 dollar a day to the hand. Funny thing is no gold was ever mined here. No other articles or anything on the subject for this city anywhere. Should I go out and pan the local river? Prospect the neighborhood creeks which once might have been that 100 acres? 1 dollar a day per hand in 1840 worth of gold might be worth it in today's pricing.

Upvote 3
Absolutely, What could it hurt!? At least you'll have an adventure out panning.
:dontknow: Best of luck :icon_thumleft:

Doing research and went down a rabbit hole. Seen an article from 1830s or 1840s of a land for sale ad in and old paper. States that it had 100acre gold deposit that pays 1 dollar a day to the hand. Funny thing is no gold was ever mined here. No other articles or anything on the subject for this city anywhere. Should I go out and pan the local river? Prospect the neighborhood creeks which once might have been that 100 acres? 1 dollar a day per hand in 1840 worth of gold might be worth it in today's pricing.
You better have permission. Folks up around that area don't take lightly to people trespassing on their land and taking gold from their streams on their land. Trust me on this one. And it is not easy to get permissions from private land owners.

1 dollar a day per hand in 1840 worth of gold might be worth it in today's pricing.
A Type 1 Liberty head one dollar gold coin contained 0.0483 ounces of gold. At today's spot price, that would be worth about $117. For an eight hour day, that's a bit under $15 an hour.

A Type 1 Liberty head one dollar gold coin contained 0.0483 ounces of gold. At today's spot price, that would be worth about $117. For an eight hour day, that's a bit under $15 an hour.
This should only translate true if one was using the same tools and technology to extract the gold as they would have then. If you use more advanced equipment and know how, then one would expect to recover more gold per day. :dontknow:

When I get a chance I'm going poke around and do some test panning and see if it holds true.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back