Gaze upon the Silver Fox and feel good

TreasureTales said:
Silver Fox said:
TreasureTales said:
Hmmm, if I'm reading between the lines properly, :icon_study: a good relationship depends on 3 things: A good sense of humor for the man and a nice pair of knockers for the woman. Is that what you're saying? :icon_scratch:
No, but a nice pair of knockers never hurts! :tongue3: Actually, besides humor and the knockers, you need to respect the other person and not have a superior attitude as far as sexes. We may not be built the same but we both have brains which can be developed beyond mondo. There's no better partner than one who is your equal developed-brain-wise. My wife is brilliant so we balance each other. :icon_king: :icon_queen:

ROFLOL. Your modesty is underwhelming. ;D ;D :wink: :icon_jokercolor:
Always glad to crack you up! ;D

Silver Fox, the parks I've hunted here never really gave up much either. While waiting on the weather to warm up earlier this spring, I made a significant discovery in research for my area. In the next county East, called Noble county...was looking at the town of Wilcotville in Google maps. It is just a small town with a population under a thousand, on the Noble/Lagrange county line...might actually be in Lagrange county. The Blacklegs gang according to US Treasure Atlas had a hideout South of town in the swamps near there.

Anyway, found a small park just SW of Wilcotville while looking at the close up maps I printed out. Seemed to be an ordinary park, but tried searching the Internet for Noble county to make sure it wasn't one of those historical preserves. I have a county park near me on the river, but is called a river preserve. All the old cellar holes, canals where a riverboat once operated are all preserved. I didn't find anything to indicate that, so am assuming the park SW of Wilcotville is open to detecting.

My search brought up Noble county info including historical. Here is the local historical account for the Blacklegs gang.

In the early history of Indiana, there was a famous band of horse thieves and counterfeiters who had headquarters in this county. They were called "Blacklegs." this gang was notorious all over the United States, and every township was infested with them, but the safest place was in the northeastern part around Rome City at a spot called "The Tamarack." Here is where they made their bogus money. In 1852, the State Legislature enacted a law authorizing the formation of companies of "Regulators" to put a stop to their operation. Several companies were formed in Noble County who soon overthrew the "Blacklegs."

I wasn't trying to uncover some new info, but seems to be alright...the gang headquarters was between Rome City and Wilcotville. Rome City is South of Wilcotville. Plus look at this...must be from an old newspaper they quoted.

One mile north of Rome City, on the site of the abandoned town of Northport, is a Catholic sanatorium known nationally for its treatments and baths. The scenic resort, Sylvan Lake, was formed in 1837 as a reserve reservoir for the canal to connect Northport with the Wabash and Erie. One of the interesting points is the old dam site on the banks of this old canal, which was never completed. In the town of Avilla is a Convent, established in 1876.

Seems like a good area to consider since towns are tiny...rural setting not many people around to get in your way. I'll bet the Blacklegs gang used the park to relax or hold small talks there...who knows what might be found.

Red_desert, the one thing about living in Manhattan (NYC), an island, is that the grass is greener on the other side; your side! You know, of course, that I'm surrounded by asphalt and I think quite often about locations such as yours yielding historical treasure to be found with a metal detector. Also, being island-locked, I rarely get out of town and any time I want to do so many things have to come into play such as renting a car for one day or more if we decide to stay in any particular area overnight.

When I lived in Los Angeles it was different and I was able to enjoy the hobby everyday 'cause I lived next to a park, I could walk around the neighborhood and do the grassy strips on the sidewalk, I could ask permission to do people's lawns. And then, of course, I could jump in my car and go anywhere.

I've tried to convince my wife to give up city living and get a place in the country but she won't hear of it. So everytime you go metal detecting, have some fun on me 'cause it ain't happening in this town.

I didn't have the link handy, we are supposed to provide links to sites we quote...
http://www.myindianagenealogy.com/in_county/no.htm

Yeah Silver Fox, getting out can be hard sometimes, even in the country. For me the problem is poison ivy. I just can't get near the stuff...would take me a whole season to get it under control. That is one reason I enjoy the Southwest so much... is warm, dry, and poison ivy free. Being stuck in an asphalt jungle like NYC, seems could be really tough to find detecting places.

I did some more searching and guess what? I found an old book that is for sale which is from the Ft Wayne Public Library written about the Blacklegs in Noble county.
http://www.antiqbook.com/boox/ind/29329.shtml

POTTERF, REX M. Rascals, Blacklegs, Counterfeiters and Evil Doers of Noble County
Fort Wayne Public Library; Very Good+. 1968. Paperback. ISBN: 0912057211. Minor edge wear. No interior markings. The information for this booklet was derived from Goodspeed's History of Noble County and Mott's History of Regulators of Northern Indiana. It s a story replete with the trappings of criminality in a primitive community. Signed by Potterf on Oct. 21, 1968; 8vo 8" - 9" tall; 16 pages; Signed by Author.

Isn't it amazing how research material can show up unexpectedly? I don't plan on buying the book, but someone who studies outlaw treasure ought to take advantage of the opportunity.

Red_desert said:
I've always benefitted from research whether treasure hunting or for personal satisfaction.

I found a silver half dollar because I found an older map of Los Angeles showing a picnic area that no longer was used as such but it was still there. It was the only coin I found in the disturbed soil, you could never tell it had been a picnic area. :icon_study:

I've read some stories in Treasure magazines about old picnic areas where the old tree stumps remained yet...good place for finding old coins. Old trees seem to produce in towns along sidewalks, ever notice that? Starting to feel nice and warm out here today.

Red_desert said:
I've read some stories in Treasure magazines about old picnic areas where the old tree stumps remained yet...good place for finding old coins. Old trees seem to produce in towns along sidewalks, ever notice that? Starting to feel nice and warm out here today.
With trees you gotta see the roots on the surface. But if they're covered then you have that extra depth to deal with. We've had severe storms here in NYC and as soon as they were over I'd head to Central Park and look for uprooted trees and on a couple I got down into the craters to look for them ol' coins. Never found any but it was fun trying.

I detect around stumps 'cause you never know if kids or adults climbed the tree when it was healthy and dangled upside down from the branches. So while I do detect around the stump and roots, I circle the area where the branches might have extended out to.

Tomorrow being a holiday and the temperature "scheduled" to be 80 I might go to Coney Island (beach) and hope for a gold ring.

I like beaches, easy to dig...don't have too many close by though, a few small ones. I find a lot of nickels around beaches because people set discrimination to reject them.

Red_desert said:
I like beaches, easy to dig...don't have too many close by though, a few small ones. I find a lot of nickels around beaches because people set discrimination to reject them.
Take a look at my Coney Island photos, today, Memorial Day.

Silver Fox said:
Red_desert said:
Take a look at my Coney Island photos, today, Memorial Day.

Ok, I don't see where they are yet...but will when I see the photos. It has been a nice day out here...beautiful weather, like it so much!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back