Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the land of the Bluenose.....there are those who purchase machines and forever hide them in a closet. Never feeling the joy of swinging the white orb. Weekend warriors who only go out when a buddy sticks a cattle prod in their backside while they are watching the NFL on the tube. The die hards who go out every chance they get providing the weather is suitable and the "honey dew" list is complete. Last but not least are the "Crazies" who go whenever, where ever having no regard for the climate!
The friendly giant, Navy Davy arrived before the designated time and we motored off to Smiley's Provincial Park for a dig on a rather overcast and cold day.
P5080002.jpg

We entered the park observing the signs which were the least of our worries as hunting season is afoot!
P5080001.jpg

Of course then again we were not paying heed to any signs neither!
P5080004.jpg

For the first 20 minutes not a coin was found as the place appeared to be as bare as Old Mother Hubbard's kitchen with only a yellow washer for the washer toss game found but as we moved back in the park our luck changed as the pennies started jumping under our coils.
P5080003.jpg

For the next couple of hours we dug this and that with not much of note found save for a 1932 penny as the skies opened slowly at first then with a vengeance poured down on our parade. Navy Davy immediately bagged his Ace 250 with a "designer" clear plastic bag while my Freedom 3 Plus was bagged unceremoniously with a wrinkled, dirty and not too esthetically pleasing green garbage bag. With that done we proceeded to get soaked to the bone and slowly moved back to the car where Navy Davy had a mobile Tim's set up (thermos full of great hot coffee) which we drank our fill and headed out to the next spot arriving in Hantsport in a torrent of rain...now mixed with snow! Undaunted we dug with our clothing becoming heavier and heavier and our swings slower and slower. Got so bad that on the 10 yard penalty box on the socceer field I couldn't see the net. Enough was enough and we called it a day and drove home while planning today's outting....if it happens. Navy Davy managed a dozen coins for the day. Didn't know what I had at first as you can or cannot see.
P5080007.jpg

Here they are cleaned up a tad and included a dinkie, kid s ring, washers, finepix logo and 65 coins @$3.54
P5080013.jpg

Here is a shot taken when I was dropped off at home. There is now about three inches of that nasty four letter word laying about.
P5080005.jpg

What kind of detectorists do we have in Nova Scotia you ask?

Upvote 0
woody50 said:
shaun7 said:
wow woody, them trees could take your eye out!
Yes eyes could get a punch or two. My biggest problem was that on most of the hills where we climbed there were trees with the thorns. That was not so bad, but the sides of the hills are steep (the Romans choose that, steep hills to keep the attackers away, and by the way, the Romans planted all the trees and bushes with the thorns, for the same purpose. Now 2000 years later the trees and bushes are still growing!) and with a shovel in one hand, metal detector in the other and you sort of lose grip with you shoes, and slip, the only thing that can stop you is a thorn tree. Well it happened enough with me, had the sores to show for it.

Sometimes you were so busy with digging and finding things that you forgot about the thorns, but they got to you then when you reached out....

ouch! my eyes are watering :o

Man those thorns look scary

From the land of the Bluenose....only hunt I think that would be worse then hunting in those thorny trees is here during deer season and out wearing camo!

archaeon said:
it's hard to stop for signals though...hmmm...you get rearended if you hear a good target! and they'll get hurt rammin into my disco 2! and passing cars give false signals! :icon_sunny:
problems, problems,problems.......

EVERYONE FINDS A WAY. YOU TOOK A HARD ROUTE.BEST OF LUCK. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back