Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the land of the Bluenose.....there are those who purchase machines and forever hide them in a closet. Never feeling the joy of swinging the white orb. Weekend warriors who only go out when a buddy sticks a cattle prod in their backside while they are watching the NFL on the tube. The die hards who go out every chance they get providing the weather is suitable and the "honey dew" list is complete. Last but not least are the "Crazies" who go whenever, where ever having no regard for the climate!
The friendly giant, Navy Davy arrived before the designated time and we motored off to Smiley's Provincial Park for a dig on a rather overcast and cold day.
P5080002.jpg

We entered the park observing the signs which were the least of our worries as hunting season is afoot!
P5080001.jpg

Of course then again we were not paying heed to any signs neither!
P5080004.jpg

For the first 20 minutes not a coin was found as the place appeared to be as bare as Old Mother Hubbard's kitchen with only a yellow washer for the washer toss game found but as we moved back in the park our luck changed as the pennies started jumping under our coils.
P5080003.jpg

For the next couple of hours we dug this and that with not much of note found save for a 1932 penny as the skies opened slowly at first then with a vengeance poured down on our parade. Navy Davy immediately bagged his Ace 250 with a "designer" clear plastic bag while my Freedom 3 Plus was bagged unceremoniously with a wrinkled, dirty and not too esthetically pleasing green garbage bag. With that done we proceeded to get soaked to the bone and slowly moved back to the car where Navy Davy had a mobile Tim's set up (thermos full of great hot coffee) which we drank our fill and headed out to the next spot arriving in Hantsport in a torrent of rain...now mixed with snow! Undaunted we dug with our clothing becoming heavier and heavier and our swings slower and slower. Got so bad that on the 10 yard penalty box on the socceer field I couldn't see the net. Enough was enough and we called it a day and drove home while planning today's outting....if it happens. Navy Davy managed a dozen coins for the day. Didn't know what I had at first as you can or cannot see.
P5080007.jpg

Here they are cleaned up a tad and included a dinkie, kid s ring, washers, finepix logo and 65 coins @$3.54
P5080013.jpg

Here is a shot taken when I was dropped off at home. There is now about three inches of that nasty four letter word laying about.
P5080005.jpg

What kind of detectorists do we have in Nova Scotia you ask?

Upvote 0
Well Leslie, you are not the only one who detects in the snow, but when you are on vacation and only have a limited number of days to search you search every day, irregardless!

Attachments

• DSC05020b_resize.JPG
    DSC05020b_resize.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 684
  • DSC05025a_resize.JPG
    DSC05025a_resize.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 678
  • DSC04956f_resize.JPG
    DSC04956f_resize.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 661
Hey leslie,,,
Great post and not a bad haul at all with all the nasty weather...
Hope it lighten's up on ya some for today's hunt...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

i like the wet suit idear. but if i went tecting with that on the land id get locked up for being crazy. dfx willy.

angelus said:
I vote for a bit crazy.
And there's no such word as irregardless :)
Well aren't we all crazy Angelus? Metal detecting is a crazy sport for sure, and most of us are characters, I know I am. We like to do different things than the normal people do.....(and the second part of this is to say about 99% of our wives think that we are 100% crazy for digging for junk)...

But I beg to disagree with you, "And there's no such word as irregardless :)"
I use it quite a bit (old person I guess)
Here is the output for irregardless from Dictionary.com

irregardless - 4 dictionary results

1) ir-re-gard-less Pronunciation [ir-i-gahrd-lis]
–adverb Nonstandard. regardless.
Origin:
1910–15; ir- 2 (prob. after irrespective) + regardless

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

2) ir-re-gard-less Pronunciation [ir-i-gahrd-lis]
–adverb Nonstandard. regardless.
Origin:
1910–15; ir- 2 (prob. after irrespective) + regardless
[Probably blend of irrespective and regardless.]
Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style,
when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States
in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of
irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less
suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant
affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

3) irregardless
an erroneous word that, etymologically, means the exact opposite of what it is used to express, attested in
non-standard writing from 1912, probably a blend of irrespective and regardless. Perhaps inspired by the
double negative used as an emphatic.

4) irregardless
adverb
regardless; a combination of irrespective and regardless sometimes used humorously

woody50 said:
Well Leslie, you are not the only one who detects in the snow, but when you are on vacation and only have a limited number of days to search you search every day, irregardless!

hey woody, i think my misses would have me sectioned if i went out in that :D

couldn't help but notice, youve changed your picture thing! :thumbsup: what is it?

shaun7 said:
woody50 said:
hey woody, i think my misses would have me sectioned if i went out in that :D
couldn't help but notice, you've changed your picture thing! :thumbsup: what is it?
I was in an east European country, and my wife didn't know much about my searching there, not about the steep mountains; climbing up the steep sides with a backpack from about 25 kilo's (detector, shovel, drink - beer, water and gin, clothes, etc.) and slipping down on wet wooden branches which were laying on the ground and covered with a thick leave layer, so wooooops and slide down 15 meters!; Again later the same when it snowed you didn't see anything then on the ground; not about the poisonous snakes crawling under every big stone; not about the snow at all! ; not about the police who stopped us because I was driving my van with foreign license plates...and wanted to know what we were doing (10 euros shut them up); Not about all the big thorns on everything there, trees, shrubs and the like and so thick sometimes you had to go around them (see photos); and not about many other things... So IF she had known....

PS Shaun, if you want to remain my friend, don't tell her!!!

Anyway the new avatar is a photo of one of my better finds, its actually a small cover for a small box (guess what was inside the box). Found it a few years ago, and its in perfect condition. On the cover is an erotic scene, a woman and man doing something on a bed, and an other man waiting his turn. Yea, they had that sort of things back then, and much more. It is from the end of the 14th begin of the 15th century and made of lead/tin. Until yesterday it was the only one I had ever seen, but I found another on the net. You can see it also at

http://www.medievalbadges.org/

Then click on English text.... then Promotion and then under the page, click on Domburg. Sorry that the text is in Dutch, but if you want to know I will translate.

And yes Leslie, I'm crazy too.....(maybe even more so!).

Attachments

• DSC03469.JPG
    DSC03469.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 569
  • P4030064_resize.JPG
    P4030064_resize.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 555
  • P4030065_resize.JPG
    P4030065_resize.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 567
  • P4030067_resize.JPG
    P4030067_resize.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 554
wow woody, them trees could take your eye out!

what was in the box???? my guess is medievil condom ;D

leslie, i don't think you could get much more hardcore/crazy than woody :D :D

crazy as hells belles, I've gone out in freezing cold and 90's. as long as I'm digging worthwhile objects I couldn't care less. I've got flannel lined jeans and a thinsulate hooded coat. until the heavy freeze sets in you just break the crust. my motto is winds from the southwest are the best. in hot weather just get in the lake and keep on swinging.

happy hunting to all.

i drive my truck crazy eyed, with my coil swingin out the drivers side window :tongue3: :icon_pirat: :tard:

archaeon said:
i drive my truck crazy eyed, with my coil swingin out the drivers side window :tongue3: :icon_pirat: :tard:

thats just dangerous, you could have someones eye out ;D

shaun7 said:
what was in the box???? my guess is medievil condom ;D
leslie, i don't think you could get much more hardcore/crazy than woody :D :D
You are right on all counts!

it's hard to stop for signals though...hmmm...you get rearended if you hear a good target! and they'll get hurt rammin into my disco 2! and passing cars give false signals! :icon_sunny:

shaun7 said:
Yes eyes could get a punch or two. My biggest problem was that on most of the hills where we climbed there were trees with the thorns. That was not so bad, but the sides of the hills are steep (the Romans choose that, steep hills to keep the attackers away, and by the way, the Romans planted all the trees and bushes with the thorns, for the same purpose. Now 2000 years later the trees and bushes are still growing!) and with a shovel in one hand, metal detector in the other and you sort of lose grip with you shoes, and slip, the only thing that can stop you is a thorn tree. Well it happened enough with me, had the sores to show for it.

Sometimes you were so busy with digging and finding things that you forgot about the thorns, but they got to you then when you reached out....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back