found this stuff today dont know what the bottom thing is?

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• t10.jpg
    t10.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 612
  • th4.jpg
    th4.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 615
  • th3.jpg
    th3.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 609
  • th2.jpg
    th2.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 604
  • th1.jpg
    th1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 593
  • t10.jpg
    t10.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 608
It is hard to tell from the pictures but the pliers looking thing may be a saw set. For setting teeth on hand saws. The bottom pic may be a splitter for splitting frozen hex nuts. Is there any way to get larger pictures?

Upvote 0
buckaroo said:
It is hard to tell from the pictures but the pliers looking thing may be a saw set. For setting teeth on hand saws. The bottom pic may be a splitter for splitting frozen hex nuts. Is there any way to get larger pictures?
a little bigger

Attachments

• m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 593
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 556
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 552
  • m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 553
Upvote 0
The spike looks like a cutter bar guard from a mowing machine or harvester, c. 1930’s-50’s. Here's a patent drawing for a similar example:

CBG.jpg

Upvote 0
Found this on Tractor Supply's website. The description says its a rock guard for a harvester or some other type of farm implement.

Maybe this will help.

Attachments

• Rock Guard.jpg
    Rock Guard.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 466
Upvote 0
acedigger said:
Found this on Tractor Supply's website. The description says its a rock guard for a harvester or some other type of farm implement.

Maybe this will help.
Yup rock gaurd for a sickle bar cutter

Upvote 0
acedigger said:

Maybe this will help.

Thanks so I take it that its a fairly new tool I mean its nothing that was used in the 30's or 40's thanks for all your help

Upvote 0
Oh yes sickle bar cutter were the first hay or stalk cutters to be used by machinery even during horse drawn times (horse drawn sickle bar) so it could be turn of the century or it could be modern, they are used today, but new eguipment uses the rotary cutter to cut stalks. you would have to get some #'s off it to date it. I just sold my sickle bar hay cutter and it was made in the 70's but I know where some folks still use a horse drawn one likely from the early 1900's

Upvote 0
those are rock gaurds from a sickle bar on a combine, the thing that looks like a pliers is tool used to crimp round head rivets that hold the cutting blade on the sickle bar, the last one is the tool that is used to force the remains of the old rivet out of the sickle bar so that it can be replaced. have a great day

Upvote 0
Maybe the resemblance is purely coincidental...

th3.jpg morrill4s.jpg
matthewh05's Morrill pliers-type
"pliers" item saw-set, c. 1880's-90's

Upvote 0
PBK said:
Maybe the resemblance is purely coincidental...

matthewh05's Morrill pliers-type
"pliers" item saw-set, c. 1880's-90's
So do you reckon that they were made in the late 1800's I have found some numbers on them if that would help date them, thanks

Upvote 0
Post 'em, and let's see what some of our forum researchers can come up with! ;)

If they're patent numbers, we should definitely be able to obtain dates for those.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back