Found OLD GOLD Today!!!!!

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My first gold in over a year, and this kind of gold was tops on my want list! I had wanted a gold ring where the karat marking is raised, which generally indicates it's an older ring - in other words, I wanted old gold!

A friend told me about an old cellar hole near his house and that I should check it out. I went over today and he showed me where it was. But between the bugs, trees, ticks, sticker bushes and large iron, I was done after 15 minutes. Did manage a wheat cent somehow.

He told me I could detect the house across the street, which I have done in the past. Figured it was worth another shot even though I barely found a clad dime previously. After 5 minutes I got a pull tab signal. Not thinking anything out of the ordinary, I dug a plug. It wasn't in there, so I took a couple more shovel fulls and something gold-colored pops out of the hole. What the heck??? It can't be. It was! Talk about an adrenaline rush. Despite the desire to clean it then and there, I left the dirt inside until I could get home. The end result - 3.7 grams of old 14k gold! My guess is it dates sometime between 1890-1920.

HH all

Attachments

• May 8, 2011 Gold Band dirt resized.jpg
    May 8, 2011 Gold Band dirt resized.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 2,497
  • May 8, 2011 Gold Band (2) dirt resized.jpg
    May 8, 2011 Gold Band (2) dirt resized.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 2,506
  • May 8, 2011 Band Cleaned resized.jpg
    May 8, 2011 Band Cleaned resized.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 2,496
  • May 8, 2011 Band Cleaned (2) resized.jpg
    May 8, 2011 Band Cleaned (2) resized.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 2,496
  • May 8, 2011 Band Cleaned (4) resized.jpg
    May 8, 2011 Band Cleaned (4) resized.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 2,508
Upvote 0
Great post, great pics and a great find. It's been awhile since I had that rush..damn you got me all worked up to feel it again!. It's been 7 years since I found an old gold ring in the soil. She's a beauty! Congrats!

WOW! great find! I'm so adding old gold to my list of stuff I need to find! :) you did good!

BURLIVES said:
Great post, great pics and a great find. It's been awhile since I had that rush..damn you got me all worked up to feel it again!. It's been 7 years since I found an old gold ring in the soil. She's a beauty! Congrats!

Thanks! I still keep thinking about that harmless sounding signal ended up removing #1 from my top 10 wish list. Keep digging all signals everyone! You never know what will come up until you dig it. It's almost like a dream!

Beautiful Ring ...congrats !

Cogradulations on that nice piece of Gold ! :headbang: A nice addition to a really great season ! :icon_sunny: Mainerelic

Sweet old gold!! 8)

Steve

They were first required to mark them with Accurate karat markings in 1907, but it could date before then. I have dug marked 19th c. rings. That's a lovely piece of nice, old gold there.

Cheers,

Buck

Amazing ring find there testing123! :o
I wish we all could find one that nice! :icon_thumright:

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back