Found my first IHP!!!

Digg'n

Mar 5, 2016
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out last night into the front yard for the heck of it and dug my first indian head! Only about 2.5" down. And my oldest coin so far.

After some cleaning it's either a 1866 or 1865. I put it under my usb microscope and it looks like a 1866 but I'm still not 100%

Before cleaning
0ad8d42592ac2732149daf38ce8d4073.jpg
8f755f5b273e6e13ebdce4dbc8a75f21.jpg

After
ff8958e01e6857e21acf8e6fb270e3d2.jpg
e076f70606362fa77ef324c2ff252542.jpg

Can it be cleaned anymore than this? I used the boiling peroxide method about 8 times.

Upvote 18
HAHAHA I just googled "International Harvester Pickup". Of all the pics that popped up (pun intended), for some reason, that one stood out! HAHAHA

Mike

If I were you and since this is a "first" IHP, I would quit trying to clean it while you can still tell it is one. Some, just do not lend themselves to being cleaned. There will undoubtedly be more but this is the ONLY first one!

Congrats!

Congrats. You never forget your first.

Some coins are only gonna clean up so much; especially copper. I usually soak them in either olive or mineral oil for a few days, weeks or even months. That will loosen up any crud that's left behind. Then you can scrub them with a SOFT bristle toothbrush and some Dawn under warm water. After that; a Vaseline rub will bring out whatever detail is left and you're done. Not all finds clean up equally. Oh, and ALWAYS check and see if you have a key date BEFORE doing any cleaning. Cleaning can completely destroy the value of a rare coin even if it "looks better" after cleaning it.

I have a few Indians in way worse shape than yours is so don't feel bad if it doesn't turn out as well as you would like. It's all part of the hobby. Plus, keep digging and more will appear sooner or later.

You've still located and brought back a coin that's been buried for over 125 years and would have otherwise just eventually rotted away completely and been lost to history. In my book that makes it a great find.

Yep, I'm gunna let it soak in olive oil for awhile and see if I can pick off some more gunk. But if that don't work I'm gunna leave it alone. Can't expect something that old to clean up perfect.

Congrats on your first Indian. I love finding Indians. I find them in all sorts of condition and I may be a little tougher than others cleaning them. All depends on the coin. I use the hot peroxide sometimes. I also use Scotchbrite pads and really go at them if they have a lot of stuck on crud. Your piece looks like a lot of stuck on crud. I also use these cleaning pencils they sell in Europe for cleaning ancient bronzes. They work great and finish off with 000 steel wool. Here's one that came out well with these.

1870 indian 11-16-15 obv.jpg

Last edited:
Nice find Digg'n . Glad to see you're getting out!
Well, gettin out in the yard anyway. Haven't had time to get out anywhere else yet. We need to get out sometime soon.

Congrats on your first IH!!! I'll always remember the thrill of finding my first IH,Barber dimes are probably lurking nearby ;-)

Awesome. I have yet to find one myself. California is just too darn new darn it!

Awesome. I have yet to find one myself. California is just too darn new darn it!

What follows is not me being a smarta$$, but just making certain you understand just how good you've got it here in Cali:

? ? Too new? California was a state (1850), 9 years before the first IHP (1859)! You live in California! You can find coins from The Spanish Empire. Think they can dig silver and gold coins from Spain in Iowa? You live about THIRTY (30) MILES from where most of the gold currently in the US came from! You can drive to the ocean (and go South), and you can find old shipwrecks (three that I know of). You are in the middle of one of the finest places on Earth to metal detect!

Now, if you think that all that gold was dug out a hundred years ago, may I direct you to this article:

SEVEN POUND CALIFORNIA GOLD NUGGET

It was found by a METAL DETECTORIST PROSPECTOR about 40 or so miles North of your house (Butte County, I believe in Plumas Natl Forest). He got about $400,000 for that nug.

gold.jpg

You've got it good here in Cali.

Best of Luck - Mike

I would love to be in Cali for all the reasons gollum mentioned. Especially the gold prospecting

Ok so I'm a little puzzled. I went back and checked the hole I found the Indian at and got a high tone a tiny bit choppy on the edges like a bottle cap. Sure thing pulled an older cap 9 inches down below where I found the Indian.

How does a semi old bottle cap get below an 1860s coin???

I also just pulled out a 1986 dime 5in down in another part of the yard.

Only thing I can think of is fill dirt when the foundation was replaced on my house.

So I guess I got lucky finding that coin?

Sounds logical.
Mine IH was at a school down 3" the same as the zincs & Lincolns. This school replaced an older one on the same spot from 1950's, so dirt relocation sounds about right.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back