Found My Best Condition Large Cent Ever! 1816 Matron Head!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a brisk 33 degrees today, but that didn't stop me from looking for more porcelain signs in the woods. Didn't find any, but I did find my first coin at this spot and it's a winner! It's an 1816 matron head LC in amazing condition. Probably the best looking LC I've ever dug.

Rang up as an 88 and was 6 inches down. I knew it had to be something good, since I was deep in the woods and detecting along a stone wall. Really happy when I dug it up, but I was annoyed that it started to flake right away. Took it home and let it dry out for awhile. When I picked it up later on, half of the reverse just fell away. I could see that it still had great detail, so I got out the toothpick. Carefully chipped away the crusty layer and ended up with an awesome looking coin!

Here's a few pics of the coin in situ and after I toothpicked it. The reverse is in excellent condition, but the obverse is extra sharp.

DSC07945.JPGDSC07946.JPGDSC07954.JPGDSC07953.JPG

Upvote 39
Congrats! It turned out to still having great detail.

Awesome find FreeBird!! Fantastic condition..

-- Jeff --

Sweet coin. Glad you found it in such great shape.

Beautiful find, Tim.
HH
dts

Thanks, guys! It's a very thick coin, which is usually a good sign. But I hate it when they flake right away because that usually kills the details (especially the date). Didn't happen this time, though. Found it at the top of hill, so maybe that might explain the great condition. Nothing worse than finding a LC in a valley or where it's wet. You know it's going to be toast when you find one under those conditions.

Going to be in the 40's today, so I'll hit that spot with a fine tooth comb. Gotta be some 1800's silver in there somewhere!

Lucky you and you did manage a great clean up. Revel in the joy of it!

I don't know how you guys clean these up like this. Maybe I try to go too quick with the process.

Congrats on the awesome LC. Finds like that keep us going and make it easier to swing the coil for a few more hours.

That is STELLAR looking!!!! Considering those years usually don't fair too well. CONGRATZ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back