Found My Best Condition Large Cent Ever! 1816 Matron Head!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a brisk 33 degrees today, but that didn't stop me from looking for more porcelain signs in the woods. Didn't find any, but I did find my first coin at this spot and it's a winner! It's an 1816 matron head LC in amazing condition. Probably the best looking LC I've ever dug.

Rang up as an 88 and was 6 inches down. I knew it had to be something good, since I was deep in the woods and detecting along a stone wall. Really happy when I dug it up, but I was annoyed that it started to flake right away. Took it home and let it dry out for awhile. When I picked it up later on, half of the reverse just fell away. I could see that it still had great detail, so I got out the toothpick. Carefully chipped away the crusty layer and ended up with an awesome looking coin!

Here's a few pics of the coin in situ and after I toothpicked it. The reverse is in excellent condition, but the obverse is extra sharp.

DSC07945.JPGDSC07946.JPGDSC07954.JPGDSC07953.JPG

Upvote 39
That's one beautiful cent, Tim!

That's a nice one right there. Every now and again you get lucky with the condition. Congrats!

Love the old coppers! :occasion14:

I found one today, but it's a usual toasty one! :BangHead:

I don't know how you guys clean these up like this. Maybe I try to go too quick with the process

Usually when a LC is flaking, you're up the creek. Not sure why this one turned out so well. Must have been dropped a just few years after it was minted. I never find LC's as thick as this one.

It's always hit or miss when it comes to cleaning up LC's any way.

Thanks for all the great replies. I knew you would appreciate the condition of this coin!

P.S. I found another great condition coin at the same spot today! I'll try to post it in a few minutes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back