found last winter

Conito@55

Jun 1, 2024
I found it last winter. It was stored for 7 months, yesterday I cleaned it with electrolysis. and this was my surprise
Screenshot_20240627_051644_Gallery.jpg
20240626_193137.jpg
20240626_193158.jpg

Upvote 28
Wow, that turned out great! If I may ask a question. How were you able to wait 7 months to clean it? I don't know if I could wait 7 minutes to see what it was!

Wow, that turned out great! If I may ask a question. How were you able to wait 7 months to clean it? I don't know if I could wait 7 minutes to see what it was!
I've got things that decades old, and not cleaned yet.

So I tip the hat to the quick turnaround on the cleaning. šŸ¤£

Awesome token, congrats šŸ‘

Love it. Too bad there's often no dates on tokens.

"IT'S HELL TO BE POOR" was a slogan common to many tokens, possibly going as far back as Hard Times tokens (ca. 1833-1843), though this token appears to be from the early 20th C.

Lots of embossed metal sign advertising for Baxter's, but haven't found anything on the tokens.

Love it. Too bad there's often no dates on tokens.

"IT'S HELL TO BE POOR" was a slogan common to many tokens, possibly going as far back as Hard Times tokens (ca. 1833-1843), though this token appears to be from the early 20th C.

Lots of embossed metal sign advertising for Baxter's, but haven't found anything on the tokens.
I found this token in a ghost town. It started in 1900, it is possible it is from that time

A very nice Token - congrats !

It's very easy to make a homemade Electrolysis Bath - for around $2.00 or $3.00.
I've cleaned hundreds of pieces with mine and have gotten very good results.
I use a plastic coffee can - a used telephone or game charger - two alligator clips and a steel washer.
There are Youtube video's you can watch on how to build and use one.

A very nice Token - congrats !

It's very easy to make a homemade Electrolysis Bath - for around $2.00 or $3.00.
I've cleaned hundreds of pieces with mine and have gotten very good results.
I use a plastic coffee can - a used telephone or game charger - two alligator clips and a steel washer.
There are Youtube video's you can watch on how to build and use one.
That's what I did yesterday. Now I have an electrolysis machine. Thanks for the information

Cool token, and great job on the cleaning.

Underneath the ā€œITā€™S HELL TO BE POORā€ slogan, it says ā€œTHE GREENDUCK CO.ā€ in tiny letters, which was the token manufacturer (in Chicago). They were established in 1906, so thatā€™s the earliest date for the token. Itā€™s from their early history since, later, they split their company name into two words as ā€œGREEN DUCKā€.

The Baxter Cigar Company was based in Denver and owned by R. Y. Baxter, who retired from cigar manufacturing in 1911.

Cool token, and great job on the cleaning.

Underneath the ā€œITā€™S HELL TO BE POORā€ slogan, it says ā€œTHE GREENDUCK CO.ā€ in tiny letters, which was the token manufacturer (in Chicago). They were established in 1906, so thatā€™s the earliest date for the token. Itā€™s from their early history since, later, they split their company name into two words as ā€œGREEN DUCKā€.

The Baxter Cigar Company was based in Denver and owned by R. Y. Baxter, who retired from cigar manufacturing in 1911.
excellent to know that. thank you so much

Do you happen to know if the company continued after 1911? Several advertising items purport to be from the 1930s.

I also found a reference to "Roper & Baxter Cigar Co., Chicago, IL" but I think that may have pre-dated "Baxter Cigar Company". :dontknow:

Do you happen to know if the company continued after 1911? Several advertising items purport to be from the 1930s.

I also found a reference to "Roper & Baxter Cigar Co., Chicago, IL" but I think that may have pre-dated "Baxter Cigar Company". :dontknow:

That I donā€™t know, but I have a 1923 business directory for Denver and the Baxter company isnā€™t listed. I think some of the sellers for advertising paraphernalia are guessing the dates for what they have, and some say the company was in Victor, Colorado not Denver. They seem to have had agents in Victor and advertised widely there since it was at the tail-end of itā€™s mining boom in the early 1900s. But as far as I know it was a Denver company, as said in this ad for another of their brands [the ā€˜electric fishā€™ referred to below was a novelty made from cellophane that moves around in your hand as a result of static electricity]:

Baxter.jpg

After retiring from the cigar industry, Robert Y. Baxter seems to have gone into the hotel business and commissioned the construction of the Baxter Hotel in Denver, which opened in 1912 (renamed the Rossonian Hotel in 1929).

As I said, the token itself is from before ā€œGreenduckā€ changed to ā€œGreen Duckā€, which I think was in the early 1930s. The company name was originally intended as one word (derived from the names of its founders, George Greenburg & Henry Duckgeischel) but so often expressed by customers as two words that they ultimately restyled the name as ā€œGreen Duckā€.

Roper & Baxter was a wholesaler of cigars in Chicago, which went bust in 1895. I saw one eBay seller claiming his ā€œBaxterā€™s Drumā€ item was from Roper & Baxter, but I think heā€™s mistaken. The two companies had no connection as far as I know.

Last edited:
That I donā€™t know, but I have a 1923 business directory for Denver and the Baxter company isnā€™t listed. I think some of the sellers for advertising paraphernalia are guessing the dates for what they have, and some say the company was in Victor, Colorado not Denver. They seem to have had agents in Victor and advertised widely there since it was at the tail-end of itā€™s mining boom in the early 1900s. But as far as I know it was a Denver company, as said in this ad for another of their brands [the ā€˜electric fishā€™ referred to below was a novelty made from cellophane that moves around in your hand as a result of static electricity]:

View attachment 2156369

After retiring from the cigar industry, Robert Y. Baxter seems to have gone into the hotel business and commissioned the construction of the Baxter Hotel in Denver, which opened in 1912 (renamed the Rossonian Hotel in 1929).

As I said, the token itself is from before ā€œGreenduckā€ changed to ā€œGreen Duckā€, which I think was in the early 1930s. The company name was originally intended as one word (derived from the names of its founders, George Greenburg & Henry Duckgeischel) but so often expressed by customers as two words that they ultimately restyled the name as ā€œGreen Duckā€.

Roper & Baxter was a wholesaler of cigars in Chicago, which went bust in 1895. I saw one eBay seller claiming his ā€œBaxterā€™s Drumā€ item was from Roper & Baxter, but I think heā€™s mistaken. The two companies had no connection as far as I know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back