found last winter

Conito@55

Jun 1, 2024
I found it last winter. It was stored for 7 months, yesterday I cleaned it with electrolysis. and this was my surprise
Screenshot_20240627_051644_Gallery.jpg
20240626_193137.jpg
20240626_193158.jpg

Upvote 37
thanks my friend. for that great research
That I don’t know, but I have a 1923 business directory for Denver and the Baxter company isn’t listed. I think some of the sellers for advertising paraphernalia are guessing the dates for what they have, and some say the company was in Victor, Colorado not Denver. They seem to have had agents in Victor and advertised widely there since it was at the tail-end of it’s mining boom in the early 1900s. But as far as I know it was a Denver company, as said in this ad for another of their brands [the ‘electric fish’ referred to below was a novelty made from cellophane that moves around in your hand as a result of static electricity]:

View attachment 2156369

After retiring from the cigar industry, Robert Y. Baxter seems to have gone into the hotel business and commissioned the construction of the Baxter Hotel in Denver, which opened in 1912 (renamed the Rossonian Hotel in 1929).

As I said, the token itself is from before “Greenduck” changed to “Green Duck”, which I think was in the early 1930s. The company name was originally intended as one word (derived from the names of its founders, George Greenburg & Henry Duckgeischel) but so often expressed by customers as two words that they ultimately restyled the name as “Green Duck”.

Roper & Baxter was a wholesaler of cigars in Chicago, which went bust in 1895. I saw one eBay seller claiming his “Baxter’s Drum” item was from Roper & Baxter, but I think he’s mistaken. The two companies had no connection as far as I know.
thanks my friend. for that great research

Yes I was born poor spent most of my life just making sure my budget could pay for the things I wanted And most of the time that meant lowering my expectations But I always had a roof over my head sone heat to keep me warm during the coldest days of the year and enough to eat The key to being happy is to decide what you need and what you want Short of a huge change of luck I T expect to continue to be poor The bible says our treasures shall be laid up in heaven And many of us have found some things that we value as treasures And hopefully some of them are not things but instead they include friendships So I am not poor I just do not have alot of money As one of the Bob Dylan songs goes" I am just trying to get to heaven before they close the doors In the mean time some times are finds are lke the find you make fits most of our life experiences Poor does not really cut it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back