found cannonball South Georgia

Fancy2cu

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2024
Hello to all you lovely treasure hunters. I love to find treasure. I am a 50 yr old woman who enjoys metal detecting, arrowhead hunting,bottles,marbles,glass broken in fields,anything that I see. I am so excited to be here with my peeps. To share my findings and learn history is going to be so much fun.I was google image searching pic of cannonball I found in South Georgia. I had just found 2 small green medicine bottles . Looked left and there it was ,in I believe excellent condition. I have not weighed it. My guesstimate will be 5-10 lbs. It has some rust but alot of shiny metal. Steel,nickel,iron? Not sure.
1000007800.jpg
1000007804.jpg
1000007808.jpg
I came across your website and found a forum with similarities to my story. The area I found the items were located in a field just cultivated for planting crops. The home had been torn down with grain bins remaining. I only know the house was built mid to late 19th century. I don't have much of a story. Only the man had been in the Navy. This is all the information I was able find. What I would like to know is,where can I sell it? I am a hoarder,just a little. I just love everything i guess.I am needing to downsize my accumilated hobby items. I look forward to any information available.
Thanks a bunch,Nan

Upvote 12
Hello to all you lovely treasure hunters. I love to find treasure. I am a 50 yr old woman who enjoys metal detecting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country)...

...cannonball I found in South Georgia. I had just found 2 small green medicine bottles. Looked left and there it was ,in I believe excellent condition. I have not weighed it. My guesstimate will be 5-10 lbs. It has some rust but alot of shiny metal. Steel,nickel,iron?...
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS over to TODAY'S FINDS! for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum NEW MEMBER INSTRODUCTIONS Description: New to TreasureNet? Introduce yourself to our community here! Welcome aboard and Happy Hunting!

What I would like to know is,where can I sell it?
tn_metal_detector.gif
You can sell it on EBay, etc. However, you must be a Charter Member to sell on T-Net (SEE: Account Upgrade: CHARTER MEMBERSHIP). Along with selling, etc. - here is what you get as a Charter Member:
  • Access to our LIVE POSTS page. (just leave a page open and see all posts in real time!)
  • Ability to search.
  • Access to our Charter Members Only Forum.
  • Access to our Who's Online List.
  • Ability to customize your profile and upload photos.
  • Increase in PM limit from 200 to 1000.
  • Our pledge to continue improving this site!
  • You will also have a Charter member icon added to all your posts....

Hello to all you lovely treasure hunters. I love to find treasure. I am a 50 yr old woman who enjoys metal detecting, arrowhead hunting,bottles,marbles,glass broken in fields,anything that I see. I am so excited to be here with my peeps. To share my findings and learn history is going to be so much fun.I was google image searching pic of cannonball I found in South Georgia. I had just found 2 small green medicine bottles . Looked left and there it was ,in I believe excellent condition. I have not weighed it. My guesstimate will be 5-10 lbs. It has some rust but alot of shiny metal. Steel,nickel,iron? Not sure.View attachment 2157785View attachment 2157786View attachment 2157787 I came across your website and found a forum with similarities to my story. The area I found the items were located in a field just cultivated for planting crops. The home had been torn down with grain bins remaining. I only know the house was built mid to late 19th century. I don't have much of a story. Only the man had been in the Navy. This is all the information I was able find. What I would like to know is,where can I sell it? I am a hoarder,just a little. I just love everything i guess.I am needing to downsize my accumilated hobby items. I look forward to any information available.
Thanks a bunch,Nan
way cool and welcome aboard!!

Hello to all you lovely treasure hunters. I love to find treasure. I am a 50 yr old woman who enjoys metal detecting, arrowhead hunting,bottles,marbles,glass broken in fields,anything that I see. I am so excited to be here with my peeps. To share my findings and learn history is going to be so much fun.I was google image searching pic of cannonball I found in South Georgia. I had just found 2 small green medicine bottles . Looked left and there it was ,in I believe excellent condition. I have not weighed it. My guesstimate will be 5-10 lbs. It has some rust but alot of shiny metal. Steel,nickel,iron? Not sure.View attachment 2157785View attachment 2157786View attachment 2157787 I came across your website and found a forum with similarities to my story. The area I found the items were located in a field just cultivated for planting crops. The home had been torn down with grain bins remaining. I only know the house was built mid to late 19th century. I don't have much of a story. Only the man had been in the Navy. This is all the information I was able find. What I would like to know is,where can I sell it? I am a hoarder,just a little. I just love everything i guess.I am needing to downsize my accumilated hobby items. I look forward to any information available.
Thanks a bunch,Nan

Welcome to the forum!!

You first need to confirm if it's indeed a cannonball.

You need fairly precise measurements and weight, and then maybe @TheCannonballGuy can help determine if it's is or not, the very clean/non-rusted state it's in have me being doubtful that it is a cannonball

Thanks a bunch,Nan
Cool find & welcome

A big welcome to T-Net. It's a wonderful community of like-minded, really smart fellow treasure hunters who are always willing to share their knowledge and experience. You have chosen wisely! Keep us posted on your future finds!

Nice finds and welcome to treasurenet :)

Cool find and welcome to the forum !

I'm not a Relic hunter but isn't a Cannon Ball that small called "Grape Shot" ?
Yes,I remember seeing it called that in the few articles I read. I should've quoted the nickname as well. Thanks for sharing your comment.

Welcome to the forum!!

You first need to confirm if it's indeed a cannonball.

You need fairly precise measurements and weight, and then maybe @TheCannonballGuy can help determine if it's is or not, the very clean/non-rusted state it's in have me being doubtful that it is a cannonball
Thank you for your reply. I will work on the measurements and weight. I read somewhere that the scales need to be a particular type. Is that correct? I agree on the non-aged look. The house was torn down a year or so ago and had just resurfaced a few days prior to finding. What other thing could it be? Cannonball is the only resemblance I have seen. I will check in with Thecannonballguy next.

tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country)...

tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS over to TODAY'S FINDS! for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum NEW MEMBER INSTRODUCTIONS Description: New to TreasureNet? Introduce yourself to our community here! Welcome aboard and Happy Hunting!

tn_metal_detector.gif
You can sell it on EBay, etc. However, you must be a Charter Member to sell on T-Net (SEE: Account Upgrade: CHARTER MEMBERSHIP). Along with selling, etc. - here is what you get as a Charter Member:
  • Access to our LIVE POSTS page. (just leave a page open and see all posts in real time!)
  • Ability to search.
  • Access to our Charter Members Only Forum.
  • Access to our Who's Online List.
  • Ability to customize your profile and upload photos.
  • Increase in PM limit from 200 to 1000.
  • Our pledge to continue improving this site!
  • You will also have a Charter member icon added to all your posts....
Thank you for the information. I am happy to be here :)

Thanks a bunch,Nan
I don't see it as a cannonball but get the exact weight and size and ask the cannonballguy.

Thanks a bunch,Nan
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back