cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though San Diego was first visited by Europeans back in the mid 1500's, it's still fairly rare to find anything pre civil war. California wasn't even a state until 1850, so, it's always a thrill to find anything that pre-dates that. Yesterday was my day. A couple of buttons came to light. The first was the eagle button that I understand is a fairly rare one. From my limited research I find it's a New York Lancers button from the 1850's. Nice full shank and the backmarks say Young.Smith and Co. New York. The other button had limited info, but, appears to be even earlier at 1841 with G.Barnett and R.Armfield's Patent on the back. Add a well worn 1808 Mexican one Real to the mix and I was a happy camper!
20240602_201649.jpg
20240602_201710.jpg
20240602_201741.jpg
20240602_201622.jpg

Upvote 35
Even though San Diego was first visited by Europeans back in the mid 1500's, it's still fairly rare to find anything pre civil war. California wasn't even a state until 1850, so, it's always a thrill to find anything that pre-dates that. Yesterday was my day. A couple of buttons came to light. The first was the eagle button that I understand is a fairly rare one. From my limited research I find it's a New York Lancers button from the 1850's. Nice full shank and the backmarks say Young.Smith and Co. New York. The other button had limited info, but, appears to be even earlier at 1841 with G.Barnett and R.Armfield's Patent on the back. Add a well worn 1808 Mexican one Real to the mix and I was a happy camper! View attachment 2152417View attachment 2152418View attachment 2152419View attachment 2152420
Great finds

I've never seen the eagle button before - nice find! Congrats on the reale as well!!

Even though San Diego was first visited by Europeans back in the mid 1500's, it's still fairly rare to find anything pre civil war. California wasn't even a state until 1850, so, it's always a thrill to find anything that pre-dates that. Yesterday was my day. A couple of buttons came to light. The first was the eagle button that I understand is a fairly rare one. From my limited research I find it's a New York Lancers button from the 1850's. Nice full shank and the backmarks say Young.Smith and Co. New York. The other button had limited info, but, appears to be even earlier at 1841 with G.Barnett and R.Armfield's Patent on the back. Add a well worn 1808 Mexican one Real to the mix and I was a happy camper! View attachment 2152417View attachment 2152418View attachment 2152419View attachment 2152420
wow, super cool. those buttons are in great shape and who doesn't love a reale! post worthy effort for sure......

Great hunt getting 3 top shelf recoveries. Congrats
The buttons are in great shape, a drier climate always helps.

I’m drooling! 🤪 Three top notch finds there. That eagle button is outstanding and in great condition. 👍
Thanks for the post.
MM

Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Those are some great finds for any region of the US, but downright crazy for San Diego.

Very nice, congrats!
Oh, and you forgot to put up a pic of the reverse of the reale...
The reverse is totally slick....no features at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back