Found a big deposit! Finally.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For several years I’ve prospected my area. I’ve hit nearly every creek and river in 30 miles. Mostly gravel bars as Ohio gold tends to be pretty small. I traveled up a little creek a bit further than I had in the past. Tested a gravel bar just around a sharp corner and BANG! 40-50 specks. Pan after pan it’s holding strong. The largest chunky black sand, garnets and mixed iron stone and verity’s mjnerals I’ve found to date.

After about 20 pans in and I’ve found this deposit is about 200’ long and as wide as 20’. The real kicker, there’s bedrock about 3-4’ below this bar, I can see it exposed on the fast side of the river.

Freaking tickled fellers!

I’ll try and post some decent pictures once I get to doing some real work.

Upvote 41
Garytman , Federal mining claims are only West of the Mississippi River ! East of the Mississippi River you have private ownership of the land and that's a different set of rules to go by and it seems that every state in the east has their own set of rules !Do your due diligence BEFORE you leave home ! Know your right's instead of asking for forgiveness ! Hobbies are NOT protected by the 1872 mining law's ! Have fun and be smart !

A state park might very well have a recreational panning permit if the area is known for having some recoverable gold and it’s popular.

I’m in Northern California, where most gold bearing creeks and rivers are plastered with back to back claims. Many not posted.

Out West, when land is first patented out from the government it may or may not include the minerals depending on what congressional act it was patented under. Could be completely different back east. So it is possible to own gold bearing land and not own the gold! That would suck.

Here we do have folks literally stopping along the river and grabbing their mining gear out of the trunk because nobody is around and they go to work enjoying themselves finding what’s likely small amounts of gold. But they also bust up the bedrock, retrieving small nuggets that are not theirs to take. Really ticks us claim/land owners off because we may have purchased our claim and pay fees every year to maintain them.

A state park might very well have a recreational panning permit if the area is known for having some recoverable gold and it’s popular.

I’m in Northern California, where most gold bearing creeks and rivers are plastered with back to back claims. Many not posted.

Out West, when land is first patented out from the government it may or may not include the minerals depending on what congressional act it was patented under. Could be completely different back east. So it is possible to own gold bearing land and not own the gold! That would suck.

Here we do have folks literally stopping along the river and grabbing their mining gear out of the trunk because nobody is around and they go to work enjoying themselves finding what’s likely small amounts of gold. But they also bust up the bedrock, retrieving small nuggets that are not theirs to take. Really ticks us claim/land owners off because we may have purchased our claim and pay fees every year to maintain them.
I will definitely check the state park. I highly doubt there are many claims here in PA. I do know there is or was a big mining company in one of the creeks in SW Pennsylvania. I also know there are people that casually pan in that creek and other areas North of me. That would would suck buying a house on some property and not owning the mineral rights. I didn't claim mine, because there is only shale and coal under my ground. The coal is about 6 inches down. I completely understand what you are saying about your claim. That would irritate me if someone was helping themselves to my property. I briefly just put myself in your shoes, and I see where your coming from. I promise to you and any other miners out there, I will never claim jump or trespass. Do you have big Claim signs or your property? I would have fluorescent signs all over my claim for sure. I doubt I will ever find much in PA, but my curiosity runs wild. I do hope you have less to none claim jumpers in the future, and of you do I hope they get charges filed against them or even jail time.

Garytman , Federal mining claims are only West of the Mississippi River ! East of the Mississippi River you have private ownership of the land and that's a different set of rules to go by and it seems that every state in the east has their own set of rules !Do your due diligence BEFORE you leave home ! Know your right's instead of asking for forgiveness ! Hobbies are NOT protected by the 1872 mining law's ! Have fun and be smart !
That makes sense because PA isn't a gold bearing state. I have researched these quite extensively and I think I will be OK. I have my wife with Mr to keep me out of trouble, although the more that I think of it, she might get me into trouble lol. I will enjoy my trips and be smart about it for sure!

I will definitely check the state park. I highly doubt there are many claims here in PA. I do know there is or was a big mining company in one of the creeks in SW Pennsylvania. I also know there are people that casually pan in that creek and other areas North of me. That would would suck buying a house on some property and not owning the mineral rights. I didn't claim mine, because there is only shale and coal under my ground. The coal is about 6 inches down. I completely understand what you are saying about your claim. That would irritate me if someone was helping themselves to my property. I briefly just put myself in your shoes, and I see where your coming from. I promise to you and any other miners out there, I will never claim jump or trespass. Do you have big Claim signs or your property? I would have fluorescent signs all over my claim for sure. I doubt I will ever find much in PA, but my curiosity runs wild. I do hope you have less to none claim jumpers in the future, and of you do I hope they get charges filed against them or even jail time.
By checking out the state parks you would be less likely to face a shotgun or handcuffs.

What type of rock is the mining company you know about involved with?
Coal come to mind for PA.

It shouldn't be that hard to understand. The law is clear. Unless you are on federal public land open to location you are required by law to have specific permission from the land owner to prospect or mine. Anything else is theft of private property.

Look at it this way. I'm rummaging through your garage looking for cool tools for my collection. Of course if you find me taking your tools I'll be sure to ask you then if it's OK. You didn't put a sign on your garage saying "don't steal my tools" so it's bound to be alright with you. Right?

You good with that? OK let's try it this way - I know you have gold in your backyard but you don't so I dig your backyard for the gold assuming you won't miss it since you didn't know it was there. I'll make sure you and the neighbors don't see me doing it. Since you will never know it's almost like it wasn't your gold or your backyard. Right?

Any gold in the ground anywhere BUT on public land open to location is owned by someone. Someone that isn't you. Taking another person's property without permission is theft in every country everywhere in the world.

Join a club. Learn the ropes before you climb the cliff. Leave other people's property alone unless the owner gives you permission.
:thumbsup:

By checking out the state parks you would be less likely to face a shotgun or handcuffs.

Coal come to

You are sort of right russau. There are mining claims possible east of the Mississippi. There were three in Florida and a few in Arkansas. The ones in Arkansas were closed because they were located for a non valuable mineral (quartz). The claims in Florida were for Phosphate and they were just recently relinquished to the feds in a complicated swap deal.

All of the public land states are open to mining claim location but most of the eastern public states have little or no public land and no valuable minerals. Without public land open to location AND a discovery of a valuable mineral deposit there can be no mining claim.

The original 13 states, Texas and Hawaii are not public land states. There never were, nor could there ever be, any mining claims in those states.

Due Dilligence

I would face a shotgun if I was trespassing for sure, but it would not be because I'm in a creek panning for gold. If they saw what I was doing, they would laugh at me and tell me to hit the road here in PA. I am respectful and would make sure I'm not cutting through someone's property. Here in PA if you have public access through the woods and away from houses, you can pan all you want. No motorized equipment though is allowed without a permit. It is not permitted on State Game Lands either. From what I read so far use of a sluice is ok for recreational panning. The mining company is pulling placer gold from the creek. Even though PA is not a gold bearing state, there are placer deposits, float, pickers, and occasional nuggets found. There is more gold here than people think.

I would face a shotgun if I was trespassing for sure, but it would not be because I'm in a creek panning for gold. If they saw what I was doing, they would laugh at me and tell me to hit the road here in PA. I am respectful and would make sure I'm not cutting through someone's property. Here in PA if you have public access through the woods and away from houses, you can pan all you want. No motorized equipment though is allowed without a permit. It is not permitted on State Game Lands either. From what I read so far use of a sluice is ok for recreational panning. The mining company is pulling placer gold from the creek. Even though PA is not a gold bearing state, there are placer deposits, float, pickers, and occasional nuggets found. There is more gold here than people think.
Some folks you just can't educate. :icon_scratch:
Panning in a creek is trespassing if you don't have the permission of the land owner.

It shouldn't be that hard to understand. The law is clear. Unless you are on federal public land open to location you are required by law to have specific permission from the land owner to prospect or mine. Anything else is theft of private property.

Look at it this way. I'm rummaging through your garage looking for cool tools for my collection. Of course if you find me taking your tools I'll be sure to ask you then if it's OK. You didn't put a sign on your garage saying "don't steal my tools" so it's bound to be alright with you. Right?

You good with that? OK let's try it this way - I know you have gold in your backyard but you don't so I dig your backyard for the gold assuming you won't miss it since you didn't know it was there. I'll make sure you and the neighbors don't see me doing it. Since you will never know it's almost like it wasn't your gold or your backyard. Right?

Any gold in the ground anywhere BUT on public land open to location is owned by someone. Someone that isn't you. Taking another person's property without permission is theft in every country everywhere in the world.

Join a club. Learn the ropes before you climb the cliff. Leave other people's property alone unless the owner gives you permission.

I hear you and giving me different scenarios gives me a better understanding. Thank you for that. The mining company is taking placer gold, and possible nuggets out of a creek. You are right about coal though, there is a substantiate amount on my property and all over Western Pennsylvania. Let me ask you this though. I have a fishing license and I know the rules and regulations when it comes to fishing PA waters. As long as I don't cross someone's property to get to that body of water I can fish there. If I have public access I can fish as much as I please, even if I am behind their house in the creek. As long as I accessed the water from a public access point I can take whatever fish I catch in these areas. Now
Panning in a creek is trespassing if you don't have the permission of

Panning in a creek is trespassing if you don't have the permission of the land owner.
I understand and will always ask for permission from a land owner. As for public access away from houses in middle of nowhere, who would I ask then?

I hear you and giving me different scenarios gives me a better understanding. Thank you for that. The mining company is taking placer gold, and possible nuggets out of a creek. You are right about coal though, there is a substantiate amount on my property and all over Western Pennsylvania. Let me ask you this though. I have a fishing license and I know the rules and regulations when it comes to fishing PA waters. As long as I don't cross someone's property to get to that body of water I can fish there. If I have public access I can fish as much as I please, even if I am behind their house in the creek. As long as I accessed the water from a public access point I can take whatever fish I catch in these areas. Now
Oh and that was a fishing example, I am not going behind someones house or on someone's property to pan unless I get their permission.

As you have said Federal public land, these are the areas I'm talking about. This is where I plan to go. If I gave you or anyone an indication of me doing it somewhere else I apologize. This information was perhaps misconstrued somehow.

“Do you have big Claim signs or your property? I would have fluorescent signs all over my claim for sure.”

No I do not. For only one reason. I respect folks out there enjoying THEIR land (gov. “managed” public lands) and I’m not about to go around like I’ve seen other people doing, posting up obnoxious signs in an effort to intimidate folks from using their land for other purposes, enjoying a day at a spectacularly scenic river. Just don’t pull out your mining devices and we are all good.

I have a fishing license and I know the rules and regulations when it comes to fishing PA waters. As long as I don't cross someone's property to get to that body of water I can fish there. If I have public access I can fish as much as I please, even if I am behind their house in the creek. As long as I accessed the water from a public access point I can take whatever fish I catch in these areas. Now
Enjoy your fishing. Fish swim in the public waterways and don't belong to the landowner. It's common law that you can access public waterways.

None of that has anything to do with mineral rights. Although the landowner doesn't own the water or the fish swimming in the water they do own the minerals in the bed of the waterway. Those minerals are private property even when you have a fishing license or a right to access the waterway. Fishing and mineral ownership are not related.

I will repeat. There are no federal public lands in states formed from the original 13 colonies. Even when the federal government has an ownership interest in lands in those states they are not public lands nor are the minerals available to the public. To have access to any minerals in those states you must have permission from the private mineral owner. That's why I suggested you join a club where private mineral access has already been arranged.

I understand and will always ask for permission from a land owner. As for public access away from houses in middle of nowhere, who would I ask then?
You would ask the land owner. All land is owned in your state even in "the middle of nowhere". You can find the contact for the owner of the land at your county tax assessor's office.

You would ask the land owner. All land is owned in your state even in "the middle of nowhere". You can find the contact for the owner of the land at your county tax assessor's office.
I will pay them a visit then. Thank you for your knowledge on this. So the best thing for me to do would be to pull up Google maps, find a place where I think would be worthy of prospecting. Then probably spend a whole day trying to figure out who owns that land. Without an address I wouldn't have a clue who owns part of a creek or evern a lump of dirt. Is there a specific map that tells you who owns what part of what creek etc. I guess I'm ignorant of all of this because I have never done such a thing. I want to do the right thing so I will investigate this a bit more. If I don't come up with anything I will just go to state parks and ask for permission or Allegheny National Forest where I know this allowed.

Enjoy your fishing. Fish swim in the public waterways and don't belong to the landowner. It's common law that you can access public waterways.

None of that has anything to do with mineral rights. Although the landowner doesn't own the water or the fish swimming in the water they do own the minerals in the bed of the waterway. Those minerals are private property even when you have a fishing license or a right to access the waterway. Fishing and mineral ownership are not related.

I will repeat. There are no federal public lands in states formed from the original 13 colonies. Even when the federal government has an ownership interest in lands in those states they are not public lands nor are the minerals available to the public. To have access to any minerals in those states you must have permission from the private mineral owner. That's why I suggested you join a club where private mineral access has already been arranged.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back