• IMG_0681 Small.jpeg
    IMG_0681 Small.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0679 2 Small.jpeg
    IMG_0679 2 Small.jpeg
    19.7 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 10
Congrats. Nice head.

Your other tool is looking like what's left of a horse bit.
multiple options for cleaning.
Maybe start by deciding how you'll preserve them after cleaning first.
My vote would be drying the head and then a motor oil bath. There are better options.

To clean the axe/hatchet head you could study electrolysis. Or vinegar bath. Or molasses bath.
Or pound it gently with a hammer to descale and then wire brush it. Better options may exist.
Preservation wax maybe?

The axe head has the shape of a carpenter's roughing hatchet. Further evidence is that It appears to have an edge sharpened like a chisel with one bevel rather than an axe's two bevels for an edge. I have one similar, and it is a "Plumb". Yours may have a manufacturer's label stamped on the side of the blade under the rust.

The axe head has the shape of a carpenter's roughing hatchet. Further evidence is that It appears to have an edge sharpened like a chisel with one bevel rather than an axe's two bevels for an edge. I have one similar, and it is a "Plumb". Yours may have a manufacturer's label stamped on the side of the blade under the rust.
Thank you for your detailed response. Any idea of the age of the ax head? I actually found another one right next to this one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back