Flint lock or percussion pistol? Any info.

Walt82

May 30, 2017
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garret at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys I found this pistol today at one of my permissions , it was around 8 inches deep, the frame and barrel are made of brass it’s probably 4 inches long like a pocket gun but it seem to be a big caliber for a small gun. Any information about the year or the brand would be appreciated. image.jpg

I have seen a lot of older Pre 1850's pocket pistols that were larger caliber .50+ Most of the ones I've seen were Belgium made and were made of iron/steel. Really awesome find!!!

Upvote 0
Pretty sure I can see the ELG in an oval Belgian proof mark on the left side of the barrel just forward of the trigger. Is there a percussion nipple, or the remains of one on top of the barrel?

Upvote 0
Google cannon barrel pistol very nice fine

Upvote 0
Pretty sure I can see the ELG in an oval Belgian proof mark on the left side of the barrel just forward of the trigger. Is there a percussion nipple, or the remains of one on top of the barrel?

I believe it is a percussion nipple,

Upvote 0
Wow, a gun with a brass barrel? What could go wrong here? :tongue3: I figured it was a stylized hose nozzle, but, what do I know? :dontknow:

Upvote 0
Neat find. There were cannons with bronze barrels. Percussion caps weren't invented until 1836, so your find dates between then and the Civil War, when advances in fire arms rapidly occurred. Those types of pistols were called "muff pistols." Ladies used to keep their hands warm using large fur muffs. Those pistols were very convenient to carry in a muff for self protection. Gentlemen also carried them as hide out guns for self defense. Note, the gun does not have a ram rod. Those guns weren't fired for fun or target shooting. There were stores where once a week or so, a gentleman or lady could stop by, shoot the gun into a barrel, and then the gunsmith would clean and reload the gun for him, so there was always a "fresh charge" in the gun.

Upvote 0

That looks exactly right, Alabama Relic. Nice ID. And from your photo compared to Walt82's posted photo, it looks like the top part of the chamber where the nipple would go, is gone. Exploded? Might have been a bad day for somebody, and why Walt found it in the dirt.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back