First Silver Dollar this year!!!! ( 1899 )

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Gary and I got out today, probably be our last time for awhile. Supposed to rain and get really cold next week.

We went to an old ghost town and started hunting in the field where it once stood. Wouldn't you know it, Gary didn't even need a detector. We were walking in the field and he saw something laying in the field. He called me over and told me to look down the furrow and tell him what I saw. Well it was a 1934 Walking Half Dollar. We have hunted that field so many times you wonder how you could miss a coin like that.

We left there, I didn't find any coins at that site, but found a few shoe buckles. We then went to a old one room school house and didn't find anything there.

We then moved on down the road and we stopped at a old house site from the late 1800's that I had hunted years ago.
I just got out of the car, took about four steps and got a signal. I thought man another beer can. Well it wasn't a beer can, it was a 1899 Silver Dollar!! Talk about surprised, I was! That is only the 3rd Silver dollar I have found in the 23 years I have been hunting. I also found a Muleshoe and a Horseshoe.

Gary kept hunting and he came up with a 1857 Seated Quarter at the same site. Needless to say we will hit this site again next spring after the farmer has worked the field.

Hope you year is full of great finds also. HH, Ringfinder

Attachments

• What a Beautiful Site!.jpg
    What a Beautiful Site!.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 978
  • Denny\'s 1899 Silver Dollar.jpg
    Denny\'s 1899 Silver Dollar.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 979
  • Denny With Silver Dollar.jpg
    Denny With Silver Dollar.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 993
Upvote 0
Nice when you don't have to dig for it. Nice pics...and great finds. :)HH

I already have a Half for the year now I wanna make my first silver dollar find. One just like that would be great.
Way to start the year.

ringfinder said:
lejeuene said:
Kudos on the silver dollar....sweet!

Maybe a stupid question but what is the difference between a horse and a muleshoe? :-[ :-[

The answer to your question is a muleshoe is smaller than a horseshoe. They used a lot of mules to plow with
in my neck of the woods. I might also say they still use mules and big Belgium horses in the Amish area's around me.

HH, Ringfinder

Thanks for clearing that up for me Ringfinder. I thought it maight be along those lines. Good luck in the future.

Ricardo_NY1 said:
Awesome finds..........ringfinder.........can you tell us the depth and how did the 250 ID it? Was it a steady ID or was it jumping around? Congrats bro. What MD'er was Gary using when he found the seated?

Well Ricardo, the depth of the coin was around 4 or 5 inches. The sound it gave the ACE was good but it did jump around a little bit.
But any signal that is 4 inches deep, I dig. I actually thought it was a beer can, because I was so close to the road. Boy was I surprised to see the edge of the coin. That silver edge is what makes us all happy when we see it. When I brushed the soil away, man was I surprised to see such a Big Coin.

Gary was using the ACE 250 also. We also use a SunRay Probe with this great detector. We have dug coins out of the ground at the depth of over 10 inches and you really need a probe to get the coins out at that depth.

Thanks Everyone for all your replies. It was one of my best days that's for sure. How often do you find a Silver Dollar!,

HH, Ringfinder

Wow that is AWESOME. Congrats to both of you guys on getting some real nice old coins. I'd be wanting to hit the seated quarter site again, that's for sure. Congrats again on the Morgan!! Wow! HH

Congrats on the big silvers, both of you!!
Great to see it is still possible to dig those, rare as they are these days.

Smiles!
BDoo

Awesome finds guys.

Thanks for the nice shots. Those silver dollars are tough to find.

HH Jer

Nate in Ohio said:
Wow that is AWESOME. Congrats to both of you guys on getting some real nice old coins. I'd be wanting to hit the seated quarter site again, that's for sure. Congrats again on the Morgan!! Wow! HH

Thanks Nate for your reply. Yes Gary and I would love to hit the Seated Quarter and Silver Dollar site agin, but don't think the weather is going to cooperate. The last two days it's been raining and I had a flooded basement. Been pumping water out all day. Just got done, getting ready for the next flood. Supposed to rain the next two days. I think I would rather have some snow.

Well HOpe to see some of you and your dads finds from the last couple of days. I'm sure your going to be done soon also.

HH, Ringfinder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back