First Sac. & First Park Official

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
First Sac. & First Park Official

I have just about given up on finding any old coins and silver in NYC's Riverside Park; a park that should deliver older coins anywhere from the late 1800s to 1964 for silver. Yes, I have found SLQs & Liberty Heads (Mercs). Not that many but at least some. But that was years ago and the well seems to have dried up. So even though I go to places that should have these coins, such as the location of a 1913 dedication where 10,000 were in attendance; zip, nada, nothing. I doubt if anyone, regardless of detector wil find a Barber dime let alone a Barber half. Or a WL half. Much doubts.

So I go still hoping silver will find the light of day but knowing that I'm always going to wind up walking back home through the same old tried trails picking up a clad coin here and a clad coin there. Today I picked up 7 quarters, six dimes, 2 nickels(!), 3 cents, and my first Sacajawea dollar coin. I could have probably picked up more dimes and cents but I pass up a lot looking for that icon to register Quarter or higher. You may ask, why pass up dimes and cents. My answer is that I've gotten lazy and because I got spoiled by my previous detector, my trusty ol' Teknetics Mark I Ltd which was able to distinguish between cent and dime, not only visually but with different tones so that when I heard that sound it wasn't necessary for me to look at the meter I KNEW it was a dime and those I dug. But I just cannot be bothered to search for a cent. In other locations where there might be IHs I would do it but not in Riverside Park.

Then while I was moving from one location to another I arrived at a fenced off area and on the road ahead of me was a parks department vehicle and the driver was walking nearby on his cell phone. When he got through with his call he walked over to me and asked me if I had a permit. But as he asked me he showed me his ID wallet with the badge, etc. (I'll show you mine if you show me yours!) I showed him my permit but I don't think he had any idea what he was looking at as he kept going to the beaches section and I had to show him the list of parks.

I asked him if he knew when the fenced off area would be opened and he took a few steps to look at the posted signs but it didn't say. But he said that even if it was I couldn't detect in that area. There's nothing special or different about this area. Without the fence it's just like the rest of the park. He said it was a Class A area (?) and I said why aren't there signs to prevent detecting in that area. He could answer properly but looked at the signs again and said it was a Passive area. Whatever the hell that has to do with anything I don't know. Passive means to me no active sports, just a hanging out area. He was looking my permit over and saw the word rough area. I showed him an area around a tree that had no grass, just dirt. I asked him if THAT was a rough area and he said no, and then pointed to a small intersection corner where two paths come together and where a lamp sits. I has about 3 or 4 feet of bare dirt. THAT he said was a rough area. What an anal cavity! These are the people that rule or govern our hobby. A man in a suit that drives around god knows doing what and yet he has power over us, in a certain way.

After I left the park I thought why didn't I ask him what he would have done if I didn't have a permit. That might have been an opportunity he rarely encounters where he could have waxed victorious and pulled rank, etc. The actual, though rare, rangers and cops are real friendly and as long as you have a permit they banter with you asking what you've found, etc.

About the Sac. Even though it registers as a quarter and you think you're going for a quarter, you still look at the coin trying to figure out what it is as the inside edge gives it away that you don't have a quarter. But the new, non-shiny look makes it less attractive. Still, one dollar. Saves digging four times for quarters, or 10 times for dimes, 100 cents!

I didn't include photos 'cause you've all seen clads galore.

Silver Fox

Upvote 3
Re: First Sac. & First Park Official

Ricardo_NY1 said:
Ed, the silver is still in these parks, it's just not as plentiful by any means. I sure as heck was not in a position to detect in the 70's or 80's. I was a kid........but from what I have heard, those days are over in almost every town or city, unless you find those virgin sites or have access to private houses/land. I sometimes feel spoiled when I find four or five coins in a single day. I'm pretty sure that would've been a bust of a hunt ten or so years ago. Some parks these days I'm feeling good if I find two good coins. Still, I know there is silver.........even in the places that have dried up for me and Tom, I go back and squeeze out another. You gotta force those parks to cough 'em up Ed!

Best,
Ricardo
Hi Ricardo: Those days are not so over, there's still plenty for every detectorist in the world! You can come home with a pocket full of clad regardless of where you go but those old, silver and otherwise, coins are also still there if there was activity in that area. You know, Central Park is one hell of a depository of old coins and no matter how many detectorists have hit the place, myself doing most of the "damage," there is still a ton of it. But it's off limits and I lived just a half block from it and it's aggravating to not be able to return to the "mint."

Starting in the early '80s I walked Riverside Park, upper and lower sections, from 72nd St. to 129th St. And I think I'm responsible for removing almost all of the silver coins from it although not as much as from Central Park. But these were Mercs, SLQ & Washington, and I don't remember ever finding a silver half. I did find a very nice man's 14K ring with a $200 appraised Tourmaline. I thought the one place to find old coins would be behind Grant's Tomb where a famous restaurant, The Claremont Inn, used to be located in the late 1800s. Here is a little history of that area and a photo of what it used to look like before the big fire.

"Rich in history, the plain of Claremont Playground has been the site of a Revolutionary War battle, a country estate, a fashionable inn, and a children’s recreation area. This was the scene of fierce combat during the Battle of Harlem Heights, fought on September 16, 1776. Michael Hogan, a former British Consul in Havana, purchased land here in 1806 and built the Federal-style Claremont Mansion (for which Claremont Avenue was named).

After a series of owners, the mansion came to be used as a popular roadside inn by 1860. The City acquired the property in 1873 for the development of Riverside Park and continued to operate the inn. At the turn of the century, the Claremont Inn and its formal gardens attracted visits from numerous politicians, military officials, socialites, and entertainers including President William McKinley, Admiral George Dewey, Lillian Russell, and members of the Morgan, Vanderbilt, and Whitney families. By 1907 it was a public restaurant, serving house specialties like curry of chicken Claremont to such notables as Cole Porter, George S. Kaufman, George M. Cohan, Fannie Hurst, and James J. Walker. Claremont Inn burned down in 1950, and a new playground was constructed on the site within two years.

Attachments

• Claremont Inn.jpg
    Claremont Inn.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 229
  • Claremont Inn Riverside Park.jpg
    Claremont Inn Riverside Park.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 216
Re: First Sac. & First Park Official

Hey Silver Fox, here's a link to an article for you to check out and read;
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/16/nyregion/16coin.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
It's an article on some treasure hunters from New Jersey that sparked a stampede of treasure hunters and a lot of hostility between the parks officials and us metal detecting people. Ricardo can tell you about it too. He knows a little more about it than I do, it's something we talked about before.

So you're a Van Cortlandt veteran huh. I have walked that gigantic field only to find a few clad dimes and pennies.
I avoid that section of the park along Broadway. It's crawling with parks people, and rangers are stationed by the old mansion. And it's where all the treasure hunters hit because of the history in that section of the park. I hunt the far east end of the park about half a mile north east, over near Gunhill Road, Jerome Avenue and Woodlawn Cemetary. There is also another golf course up there. Well I hunt there in an area near the highway, has a large parking lot flanked by two large baseball fields. It's secluded not too many people know about it and rarely will you see a park worker and never will you see park rangers. I did see some horse mounted park rangers ride through once but they looked like they were just out excersising their horses. There's some secluded woods there that once was a picnic/BBQ area and thats where I found the silver. I know I'm revealing my secret spot but hey if you or anyone else ever want to meet me there you're more than welcome. It's a large park I'm not gonna hog it all to myself. Anyway I NEVER had a problem there, even before I got my permit, and I'm wondering if you know where I'm talking about. It's probably one of the last remaining undisturbed areas in the whole park.
Tell me what you think about the news article.

Harry.
[/quote]

Hi Harry: Thanks for the URL to the article, I appreciate it. I don't know how I could have missed that 2006 article but I'm glad you pointed it out. I went to Van Cortland two or three times and that was enough for me. At the park I covered a large area where marching and parades took place hoping to find a well-stocked area I could settle in but I scanned the whole length one way and back and I just didn't find anything so I moved to the wooded area that's a slight hill on the east and wasn't crazy about the characters roaming the area so I came back to Washington's house and sneaked some detecting around the house and below in the gardens. I also did a nearby pool area picnic ground, and a baseball field in one of the side streets.

I think that in one of my trips to the park I came in from Gunhill Road and did extensive walking past streams, golf course, and everyting in between. But I'd like to check your area next time you're heading that way. Just let me know and perhaps Ricardo can join us and anyone else reading this, all silver lovers.

I enjoyed reading the article and Randy is one hell of a detectorist but at Van Cortland Park he earns his keepers! I wonder when one uses a machine that emanates as many sounds as his does and it's constantly going off, how it affects your hearing at the end of the day. How long one needs to recuperate. And is it cumulative.

Edward

:( I'm thinking about starting metal detecting and I literally live right next to van cortlandt park, but everyone is saying there not finding anything, not gonna waste my money. :(

Freakin' authority...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back