Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I got out with Hill Billy over the weekend to do a little digging. We had started the day trying to chase down a site that we couldn't quite locate (which burned part of our hunting time up). The ground was still mainly frozen, and we were a little worried about breaking a shovel trying to chisel our way through. The second site we did manage to find but it had been bulldozed, which no doubt destroyed and buried some of the finds. We still did quite well though. It took a while to find our spot--we found a trash dump in the edge of the woods that did look like it had some older pieces in it (stoneware). Then we got out in the field and did some hunting, finally getting some harmonica pieces in a little flat part of the way down a hill. I got half of a really cool crotal bell and then got a nice signal I thought might be an IH cent. When I chiseled my way through the ground, the signal disappeared in the sloppy muck. I grabbed a muddy dirt cookie and saw that it had a silver edge poking through. "SILVER!" I yelled at HB. :headbang:

Finds 001.jpg

We started hunting with the fever, and HB pulled two interesting jewelry items up. One is a gold plated brooch, and the other is a turn-of-the-century Shriner's badge from Texas (of all places). Here are the photos of these items cleaned up:

HB.jpg

HB1.jpg

HB2.jpg

HB3.jpg

I wandered back around the fringe area again (the un-bulldozed part), and spent a long couple of minutes chiseling through the icy mess. Then I saw a two-piece button sticking out of an icy dirt cookie:

Eagle in Mu.jpg

When I turned it over in my hand, I could tell already that it was an Eagle Button--and an "I" at that. :thumbsup:

Finds 009.jpg

We poked around until the signals dried up, and dug around in the dump some--collecting some stoneware and a little depression glass--then hiked the long sloppy hike back to the car to head home.

When I cleaned up the finds, I was surprised to see that the flat button I'd dug had a nice design on it. As I gently toothpicked the Eagle I could see some gilding shining through, so I changed plans and used aluminum jelly on it. I was quite happy with the end result. After it dried, I toothpicked the back (repeating my mantra of "Civil War Era Backmark, Please!" And indeed, it was. :) The backmark is listed in Tice as "B8-18: SCOVILL MF'G CO., / WATERBURY. dm, with small lettering between two rings of dots, about 1860." The silver dime was a 1901 Barber in beautiful shape.

I only got two silvers last year to go with my 20 Large Cents (a half dime and a new Georgie Quarter). I also only dug two eagle buttons last year (I usually average 6-8 per year). So I think 2010 will be a good year. 8)

Here are the before/after photos of my finds:

Finds00.jpg

Finds 000.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Upvote 0
BB & HB,
Those are some very good finds guys. That "I" button cleaned up great BB, nice job. It's a real beauty. :hello2:
That Shriner piece has to be a rare find HB. ;D First one I've ever seen, I know that. :occasion14:
You two are unstoppable,
MM

ModernMiner said:
BB & HB,
Those are some very good finds guys. That "I" button cleaned up great BB, nice job. It's a real beauty. :hello2:
That Shriner piece has to be a rare find HB. ;D First one I've ever seen, I know that. :occasion14:
You two are unstoppable,
MM

Maybe not "rare" in the non-dug sense, but I'd say it's a dug find that one could never manage to repeat.

Good to hear from you, my friend. Thanks for sticking around. We need as many GOOD people like you on this forum as we can get.

Cheers,

Buckles

Thats some great digs you found real history HH Jim

romeo-1 said:
That's a great button!

Thanks. :icon_thumleft: You should see what Coinmaster2db dug while out on a hunt with me today. :o If it's in as nice condition as I think it is, he will steal the day with what he found--and I won't bother posting my meager finds from the hunt. :D

-Buckles

BuckleBoy said:
ModernMiner said:
BB & HB,
You two are unstoppable,
MM

Maybe not "rare" in the non-dug sense, but I'd say it's a dug find that one could never manage to repeat.

Good to hear from you, my friend. Thanks for sticking around. We need as many GOOD people like you on this forum as we can get.
Cheers,
Buckles

Thanks BB. Very much appreciated. I hit a few CW relics today. I'll try to post soon.
-Doug-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back