Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I got out with Hill Billy over the weekend to do a little digging. We had started the day trying to chase down a site that we couldn't quite locate (which burned part of our hunting time up). The ground was still mainly frozen, and we were a little worried about breaking a shovel trying to chisel our way through. The second site we did manage to find but it had been bulldozed, which no doubt destroyed and buried some of the finds. We still did quite well though. It took a while to find our spot--we found a trash dump in the edge of the woods that did look like it had some older pieces in it (stoneware). Then we got out in the field and did some hunting, finally getting some harmonica pieces in a little flat part of the way down a hill. I got half of a really cool crotal bell and then got a nice signal I thought might be an IH cent. When I chiseled my way through the ground, the signal disappeared in the sloppy muck. I grabbed a muddy dirt cookie and saw that it had a silver edge poking through. "SILVER!" I yelled at HB. :headbang:

Finds 001.jpg

We started hunting with the fever, and HB pulled two interesting jewelry items up. One is a gold plated brooch, and the other is a turn-of-the-century Shriner's badge from Texas (of all places). Here are the photos of these items cleaned up:

HB.jpg

HB1.jpg

HB2.jpg

HB3.jpg

I wandered back around the fringe area again (the un-bulldozed part), and spent a long couple of minutes chiseling through the icy mess. Then I saw a two-piece button sticking out of an icy dirt cookie:

Eagle in Mu.jpg

When I turned it over in my hand, I could tell already that it was an Eagle Button--and an "I" at that. :thumbsup:

Finds 009.jpg

We poked around until the signals dried up, and dug around in the dump some--collecting some stoneware and a little depression glass--then hiked the long sloppy hike back to the car to head home.

When I cleaned up the finds, I was surprised to see that the flat button I'd dug had a nice design on it. As I gently toothpicked the Eagle I could see some gilding shining through, so I changed plans and used aluminum jelly on it. I was quite happy with the end result. After it dried, I toothpicked the back (repeating my mantra of "Civil War Era Backmark, Please!" And indeed, it was. :) The backmark is listed in Tice as "B8-18: SCOVILL MF'G CO., / WATERBURY. dm, with small lettering between two rings of dots, about 1860." The silver dime was a 1901 Barber in beautiful shape.

I only got two silvers last year to go with my 20 Large Cents (a half dime and a new Georgie Quarter). I also only dug two eagle buttons last year (I usually average 6-8 per year). So I think 2010 will be a good year. 8)

Here are the before/after photos of my finds:

Finds00.jpg

Finds 000.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Upvote 0
Nate in Ohio said:
The button, bell, and barber look real nice Buckleboy! Bet it felt great to be out. We're getting out tomorrow for the first time since before Christmas. Nice hunt!

So...how'd you do? I got out today for a bit. Cold, wet, muddy, and windy. I feel like I walked 10 miles today.

vayank54 said:
You all had a good day. That I came out nice.

I was quite happy with the "I"

Good way to start things out. :)

plehbah said:
That eagle "I" really did clean up nicely.

"Ridgid" shovels are fine shovels. I have yet to break mine, and I have broken many shovels and diggers. Many.

I have only broken cheap Wal-Mart shovels. After going through two of those, I bought two Vietnam-Era U.S. Army shovels. Have used them now 15 years with no problems. One just has to dig patiently when the ground is frozen. :wink: My buddy Rodeo Recon, on the other hand, has broken two U.S. Army shovels in the past year digging in frozen ground and rocky ground. ::)

civilman1 said:
Nice start Buckle's.....Great stuff.BOL in 2010' :thumbsup:

Good to hear from you, friend. I meant to say earlier that I REALLY like your avatar. :thumbsup: Best of luck to you too in 2010.

VOL1266-X said:
Nice Officer's button BB!!! You and HB had a great day and I know you were glad to get out. You were lucky to dig that button without damaging it while chipping it out of the ice. We have thawed here and Dman and I are headed out this morning. Unfortunately, one of the CW sites we plan to hunt today has yielded only GS Eagle buttons to date-not a beauty like yours. HH, Quindy.

Quindy,

Most of the eagles I find where I'm hunting now are in pretty good shape. I was happy to see a two-piece button in the hole--because at the age of sites I hunt, a two-piece button means an Eagle 9 times out of 10. All the rest are flat buttons. We searched hard to try and find another one, but that was all this site gave up.

elusion said:
Dude is it me or is that clown badge pure evil? The abnormally huge hand and face are scaring the crap out of me! You should put it back... ;D

It's pure evil only if you're scared to death of clowns. :icon_jokercolor:

Looks like you had a great hunt, that eagle is awesome! Hope ya have a great 2010!

Some rare January digs my man. This is the first time in a while that I even checked out this forum. It's possible Ckk will be swinging this weekend but I wouldn't hold my breath. I recently purchased cordless headphones for my Vision so I am chomping at the bit. A new year of promise.
Chris

Yea, there's still too much snow in most spots here. Did find an old pin and a piece of a "Domestic Sewing Machine" circa 1869-1924. I'll post pics later. HH!

Man that Eagle I button sure cleaned up nice BB.
Congrats on your first silver of 2010, may there be many more seated and capped silver in the near future... or a georgie or two.

HB

Muddy Dirt Cookie, now that's a new expression for me. Great stuff dere!
Carl

Congrats on your start for 2010! Here's to wishing you more success for the rest of the year!! :thumbsup:

Ironman

CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Muddy Dirt Cookie, now that's a new expression for me. Great stuff dere!
Carl

That was just for you. :D

Them muddy dirt cookies sure do taste good when they got Barber Silver in 'em. Yum! :laughing9:

Thanks to EVERYONE for your great replies. Now it's time to go out and dig some more.

-Buck

I see that face of the Shriner every morning when I look in the mirror. It would travel warmly in my front left pants pocket.
Carl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back