✅ SOLVED ????? finial ?????????

rocky raccoon

Jan 24, 2012
nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had this posted on todays finds...no hits...so wondering if i am correct on identification...1000 words..... finial 001_crop_crop.jpgbefore clean 2'' & 3/8 longfinial 002_crop_crop.jpg 1'' & 1/2 inside diameterfinial 003_crop_crop.jpgit came out of the ground this way in piecesclean finial 001_crop.jpg after clean...notice the grooves...clean finial 004_crop.jpg and there you have it,any info ?clean finial 011_crop.jpg

is the small end open?

Upvote 0
Does the front of the artifact have any holes in it for attachment? like in the photo

Attachments

• holder.jpg
    holder.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 0
the metal is very thin..this is as far as i can go with the electro

Upvote 0
funnel 1.jpgfunnel 2.jpgfunnel 3.jpglamp fuel funnel?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The parasol tip seems like the best guess, nice one guys
smiley.gif

These cone shaped copper or brass items, with various decorations and designs were for many years a mystery to me well. A while back, I happened to dig one at an early 19th Century homesite, with a portion of the wooden shaft still attached. They are in fact the top cap or decorative finial from parasols from the 19th Century and possibly even earlier into the 18th Century.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/279300-colonial-stuff-buckle-help.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/103090-cone-shaped-object-shot-solved.html

Old copper horn shaped object? - Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

Sat Hunt Video--Need help ID-ing RRdiggers find

CC Hunter

Attachments

• Copper Tip Parasol.jpg
    Copper Tip Parasol.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Parasol MetMuseumArt.jpg
    Parasol MetMuseumArt.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Parasol MetMuseumArt2.jpg
    Parasol MetMuseumArt2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Upvote 0
looks like an ear trumpet,for improving ones hearing

but not sure looks similar to pics posted by one of the members

Upvote 0
I'm coming to this discussion late, but for whatever it's worth to hear, I've been in agreement with Taz42o and CC Hunter about these objects for many years -- parasol/umbrella-top finials.

Pen-holder is a reasonable guess based on the general shape... but as the photos show, there needs to be an "attachment" hole or similar attachment provision on the small end of the pen-holder's tubular body. The parasol/umbrella-top finials have no such thing there.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back