Field in KC Missouri keeps producing....UPDATED!!! CLEANED SOME ITEMS!!!!

ridge_runner

Jan 15, 2006
Fort LeonardWood, Missouri
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT
Another hunt with my pals Schloopy and relikhunter is in the books. Schloopy and I hunted over 12 hours on Saturday and relikhunter came up Sunday for another hunt which lasted about 8 hours or so.... All in all it was very productive for us. This field is just an awesome spot. One of the best spots I've ever hunted...not one of the most coin producing spots but I've never found the variety of finds like I have there. No big pennies or colonials but that's ok, although Schloopy has found a seated dime there. I just keep having to tell myself we're not on the east coast..... LOL!!!!
We, as a hunting trio are keeping good on our commitment to try and get together at least once a month or so. I am trying to get the guys down here to hunt some of my spots.... They won't be like this field but still having them down for some good times is one of my main objectives..... I'm also trying to get others to join us... Never know, maybe one day our monthly hunts will consist of 5 or 6 of us or more instead of the trio....!!!! Hopefully....

Ok, too the hunt!!!!!

Schloopy and I started out Saturday as early as we could without actually hunting in the dark. I had to call Schloopy 3 times to get him to finally wake up and come pick me up at the hotel.... Ha, ha. The second time I called I'm more than positive he was still asleep cause I couldn't understand a single word he was saying. He doesn't remember the call either so what does that tell you. He scared the hell out of me so I hung up on him and called him back about 15 minutes later. He was awake this time. You know I had to scold him for being late, ha!!! Anyway, we got to the hunt site, you could tell Schloopy was still tired cause it took him like 30 minutes to put his magic wand together. I always leave my "DFX" whole so I was out on the field in no time. Matter of fact, by the time it took him to put his detector together and get out into the field I had already found a trade token and 3 Indians..... He was ticked...... It took me a while to find the 4th Indian but after that they came quick... I ended up with 6 Indian Head pennies for the day, an 1899 Barber dime, 3 trade tokens (one was really cool, it was a 5 cent in trade Kansas City token shaped like a cross), a sterling thimble, a silver spoon which I have researched already. A few pieces of odd sterling, a gold link probably from a watch chain, a few other jewelry pieces, a watch fob, a Santa Fe Railroad baggage tag, and a few other number tags, one is shaped like a heart.... Some really cool stuff, see what I mean about variety!!!! I won't go into Schloopy's finds (he, he) but I will be posting his pics. It wasn't really Schloopy's day, two or three times I turned around to look for him and he was laying in the middle of a clover patch sound asleep. One of those times he slept for 2 1/2 hours. Comfortable clover eh? Did I have him out too early???? Maybe!!!
Sunday's hunt was shorter but just as sweet. My wife even got out and hunted for about an hour. She had my son digging while she detected. And she's the one that says that metal detecting is geeky and why are you so dirty all the time.... Well guess what, she found a 1901 Indian.... On the way home that night her words exactly were "maybe I'll try that again sometime"! Think she's hooked??? Now who's the geek???
As I said, relikhunter came up from Kansas to hunt with us. We all did pretty good. My first find was pretty quick. I thought I had an Indian until after I took the picture of the clod and cleaned the coin to find a 1977 Memorial.... The newest coin to come out of the field. The second newest was Schloopy's about a month earlier, a 1909 wheatie. Crazy huh??? Well, I ended up with another 2 Indians, an 1906 Barber dime, two trade tokens. One from Oklahoma, and one from KC. Another silver spoon which I broke as it came out of the ground, another watch fob which is way cooler than the one I dug the previous day. You'll see it in the pics. A small piece of gold with some initials on it, a small piece of sterling something or another and a coat tag from the Iler Grand Hotel which I research today and found in Omaha, Nebraska..... The tag predates 1909 cause the Iler Grand became the Rome hotel and the only pic I could find of either was the Rome in 1909.... Variety, Variety, Variety.... I love it....... We had an awesome weekend for sure.... Schloopy was a little better Sunday although about half way through the day he confessed that he came to the site with two different types of tennis shoes on.... I looked down and sure enough... I think it was a Reebok and a Nike! This guy is something else.. LOL!!!
Let's put it this way, Schloopy may sleep in a clover patch for half a day, and then wear two different types of shoes.......Relikhunter may call me names I've only heard come out of Sailer's mouths on TV but I wouldn't want it any other way.... Great guys, great times, great hunts.... This hobby is the best pastime in the world!!!!!! Thanks you two for a great weekend....Oh, and thanks for the side bets guys....That's why you see the greenback in one of the pics y'all!!! Let's keep making those bets...!!!
Here are lots of pics. We like to take pics of the finds coming out of the ground. We didn't get them all and some of the pics didn't come out great so I deleted them but we got some good ones. Check out all the trash we dug too, had to be 15 pounds worth. I've also posted mine, John's and Mike's finds individually. Hope you enjoy them. There's a pic in here for MasterEagle, it's John detecting for his pinpointer ha, ha!!! There's also a pic or two on my son Alex. Some of y'all know him. If you look close I've got him swinging the XLT. I'm starting him off with the big boys. The other pic is of Alex and John. John let him use his bounty hunter cause the XLT is kind of heavy for him. Needless too say Alex gets bored quick and ends up digging holes for the heck of it and climbing hay bales.... He ended up keeping us hydrated most of the day by bringing us water. He's a great kid and will one day make a great TH'er!!!!!!!

HH All,

ridge runner

Attachments

• John and Alex.JPG
    John and Alex.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,253
  • token.JPG
    token.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,241
  • John\'s token.JPG
    John\'s token.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,240
  • eye find.JPG
    eye find.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 1,249
  • 1977 Memorial.JPG
    1977 Memorial.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 1,248
  • 1906 Barber.JPG
    1906 Barber.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,245
  • Trash 1.JPG
    Trash 1.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,257
  • Trash 2.JPG
    Trash 2.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,258
  • Alex XLT.JPG
    Alex XLT.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 1,262
  • John finding pinpointer.JPG
    John finding pinpointer.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,259
Upvote 0
Re: Field in KC Missouri keeps producing....Thanks to Schloopy I keep going back!!!!

Burdie said:
Dang great pic's of the finds. Thats the kind of site and finds that I love to search for. WTG to all of you. I did notice that Burdie was not with you guys. Must of been an oversight. :o :o ;D Just kidding. Keep up the good work.

Burdie

Ok!!!! Burdie and WD.....

You guys have been hunting for like a 100 years and have taken all the really cool stuff out of the ground already. I know this, y'all told me so!!! LOL!!! Just kidding. Come on guys, give the rest of us a chance.
No need to feel like chopped liver there WD.....You know you're my favorite!!!! Burdie, I'll trade hunts with you any day if you'll let me hunt your honey holes.... Can I live with you for a while.... I promise I'll only hunt 6 days out of the week and leave a few things for you and Stoney!!!! Promise!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Y'all read my post.....I was invited by Schloopy so let's blame him..... Ha, ha!!! And you're right WD, we know nothing about this stuff you call beer. Must be a side dish for a 1 course meal. I'd like to try it!!!

Thanks for the replies guys,

Can't wait to get together again....... RR

Re: Field in KC Missouri keeps producing....Thanks to Schloopy I keep going back!!!!

Frankly the mud looked a little heavy for an old fart like me. But I had fun Josh'n you. ;) Take care and come back down. I keep waiting for Gypsy to show up but no luck. :'(
WD we might have to show those Pups how to hunt. :P :P Or drink or.... what was it we were going to do? Hell to be old.
Burdie

What a great post and super pictures!! Super story and even better finds and that junk, I'd be sorting the copper/brass/alum from the other stuff and it would all be going to the recycle bin to pay for gas!!

Hey,Burdie.We gotta let these young pups go all out.You and I know the story of the young bull and the old bull.We'll go slow and climb over that fence.

Great to see all the pics! This is a supurb post!

Hey Ridgerunner thanks for posting everything, you did a great job and I think your camera works just fine. Burdie & WD you both know you can come hunt with me anytime (we just need to keep ridgerunner away, he finds everything ;D) We had a great time and I was glad that Relikhunter got to make it down for day of hunting also. This spot has been really good ever since I found it. Not a ton of coins but all kinds of interesting stuff. Lots of trade tokens have come off this field and that's neat in my opinion because each one is a piece of history. The farmer stopped by while we were out there and told me as soon as the field drys out he is going to disc it, that's when you can find a lot of stuff just lying on the surface. Also, I will admit I did look down at my feet and I was wearing two different shoes, and on top of that I hunted for a while with my detector turned off :D Well I can't wait until we all get together again and maybe we'll have some more hunters for our little group. Have a good one everyone.

John

schlooppy said:
Hey Ridgerunner thanks for posting everything, you did a great job and I think your camera works just fine. Burdie & WD you both know you can come hunt with me anytime (we just need to keep ridgerunner away, he finds everything ;D) We had a great time and I was glad that Relikhunter got to make it down for day of hunting also. This spot has been really good ever since I found it. Not a ton of coins but all kinds of interesting stuff. Lots of trade tokens have come off this field and that's neat in my opinion because each one is a piece of history. The farmer stopped by while we were out there and told me as soon as the field drys out he is going to disc it, that's when you can find a lot of stuff just lying on the surface. Also, I will admit I did look down at my feet and I was wearing two different shoes, and on top of that I hunted for a while with my detector turned off :D Well I can't wait until we all get together again and maybe we'll have some more hunters for our little group. Have a good one everyone.

John

Hey John,

Hope you're aches and pains are gone... I still have a few... Ha, ha!!!! I see you're trying to keep me off the field. Well, all I can say is buy you a blue detector and get rid of the green one and maybe we'll be an even match... LOL!!!! Just kidding my friend... Wait, no I ain't!!!! You'll notice I used color brands instead of Name brands.... I don't want to peeve anyone off!!! Nah, really I don't care. Too each his own right??? I still think you'd find more if you went blue though..... I believe you said that yourself once or twice!
Hope you post some of the info from some of your finds... Especially the tokens. I didn't remember their info or for that matter the date of your Indian. I'd like to know what's on that octagonal token. Maybe I could find some info for you. Also the 50 cent token. Please post the info....
Talk too you later, we need to construct our next hunt. I'm DT'ing already. Got an email from our good friend WD.... He may have some hunting for us too do......

Late good friend,

RR

I miss you guys! And look at Alex! How handsome he is!! Awesome hunt you all! Wish I was in MO! :-\

Thanks for the post! A great one!

Nana :)

Nice stuff there. Good to see they let you out for a few days to hunt. I like the watch fob. Looks familar somehow? I never woulda guessed two of these would ever be found.

Attachments

• 071507 004.jpg
    071507 004.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 739

ridge_runner said:
I'm also trying to get others to join us... Never know, maybe one day our monthly hunts will consist of 5 or 6 of us or more instead of the trio....!!!! Hopefully....
OK, where do I sign??!! I know you don't know me from Adam, but I live in KC and have been known to unearth a decent find or two. I've ran across you guy's posts from time to time, but never made the KC connection. Always looking for a little friendly hunting competition/wagering. I'll bring lunch, or even the beer! :)

Jules

I don't know if anyone has suggested it yet, but there are a couple of guys out of Wichita that are incredible at token identification. They recently released an amazing book on Kansas tokens. I just bought it at a coin show here in KC a couple weeks ago. I have a number of MO tokens as well I need help on, and they offered their assistance.

julesjunk said:
ridge_runner said:
I'm also trying to get others to join us... Never know, maybe one day our monthly hunts will consist of 5 or 6 of us or more instead of the trio....!!!! Hopefully....
OK, where do I sign??!! I know you don't know me from Adam, but I live in KC and have been known to unearth a decent find or two. I've ran across you guy's posts from time to time, but never made the KC connection. Always looking for a little friendly hunting competition/wagering. I'll bring lunch, or even the beer! :)

Jules

I don't know if anyone has suggested it yet, but there are a couple of guys out of Wichita that are incredible at token identification. They recently released an amazing book on Kansas tokens. I just bought it at a coin show here in KC a couple weeks ago. I have a number of MO tokens as well I need help on, and they offered their assistance.

Oh no! You have no idea what you have just done to yourself. :o I hope you have a good paying job because supplying the two of them with beer will cost as much as most countries spend in a year to run their governments. :D ;D :)

mastereagle22 said:
Oh no! You have no idea what you have just done to yourself. :o I hope you have a good paying job because supplying the two of them with beer will cost as much as most countries spend in a year to run their governments. :D ;D :)

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,backpeddling,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, how about the first round then?? :)

;D :D ;D :D ;D ;D :)

Sorry guys I had to do it!! ::)

mastereagle22 said:

Oh, you dirty rat.......Hey, come to think about it, how many rounds did you buy that Saturday night Zima man!!!!!! Oh, now who's on the block.......Water anyone?????

LOL!!!!!

RR

Re: Field in KC Missouri keeps producing....Thanks to Schloopy I keep going back

thats a nice haul of coins

ridge_runner said:
mastereagle22 said:

Oh, you dirty rat.......Hey, come to think about it, how many rounds did you buy that Saturday night Zima man!!!!!! Oh, now who's on the block.......Water anyone?????

LOL!!!!!

RR

I wouldn't touch Zima with your lips buddy! I had ONE smirnoff Rasberry Twist and two bottles of water. I would have gotten a good buzz if they served something besides watered down beer and koolaid drinks. ;D :D Give me Crown Royal any day. ;D

You have some GOOD lookin' MUD there! Any mud with old coins and tokens in it is the best! Excellent photos too.

Sounds like you have yourselves a heck of a site. Good luck on the return trips.

-Buckleboy

rebelLT said:
Nice stuff there. Good to see they let you out for a few days to hunt. I like the watch fob. Looks familar somehow? I never woulda guessed two of these would ever be found.

rebelLT,

Can you read the back of your FOB....If not, I can read mine and it has lots of good info....Home office of Hooven and Allison.....They also had several branch offices one of which was in KC....

RR

Cleaned up some of the items found at the field in KC...... In the pic you see the three large items up at the top....The large Coat tag is from the Iler Grand Hotel in Omaha, NE. It predates 1900 from my research, the next tag is a baggage tag from the Santa Fe Railroad line. The next ofcourse is a Watch Fob (rebelLT found the exact same FOB) which was compliments of the Hooven & Allison Co that was out of Xenia, OHIO....They also had branch offices one of which was in Kansas City, MO. I've aquired help from the Green Valley Room which is an Archivist Dream at the KC Library. One of the Staff has gone through the City Directories for me and found that the three tokens under the FOB and tags are Saloon Tokens. They even sent me copies of the Directory listings. I have yet to find out the names of the establishments though. The cross shaped token, which reads F. (Frank) Probasco has to be the coolest shaped token I've found. Mr. Probasco was the Proprietor of the Central Hotel in KC and also owned the Saloon at the same location.... As you can see, I have lightly cleaned the Indians but am not done yet....The Barber dimes I am going to leave black.... That's the way they came out of the ground... I hate shinning silver up. It just kind of takes away from it's dug character....

Hope ya'll enjoy,

RR

Attachments

• Cleaned items.JPG
    Cleaned items.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 526
Good Lord I can't take it I will be up there Next weekend. Oh yea it is my grandson's Birthday party I better go to that instead. Oh well.
Burdie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back