Excal II unstable in water

FL Treasure Hunter

Dec 31, 2015
St. Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, AT Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my excal II for a while now but never got to run it in water until today.

I went to the beach and tried to detect a tidal pool and waters edge. Every time I bumped the coil or moved it quick or broke water surface it toned or falsed like a find.

Tried sensitivity of 2&3 and auto and nothing really helped. Is it better to stay deeper consistently and does anyone have some good salt water settings? I think the in and out of the water and bumping around the tidal pool changing depth from an inch to a foot was freaking it out.
My normal sand setting is a 7 and it’s rock solid perfect in wet or dry. The water is the only curve ball this machine is throwing me.

Upvote 0
I have had my excal II for a while now but never got to run it in water until today.

I went to the beach and tried to detect a tidal pool and waters edge. Every time I bumped the coil or moved it quick or broke water surface it toned or falsed like a find.

Tried sensitivity of 2&3 and auto and nothing really helped. Is it better to stay deeper consistently and does anyone have some good salt water settings? I think the in and out of the water and bumping around the tidal pool changing depth from an inch to a foot was freaking it out.
My normal sand setting is a 7 and it’s rock solid perfect in wet or dry. The water is the only curve ball this machine is throwing me.
Was there surf rolling over the coil? Does it do it when you are in deeper water such as knee deep water? You will get false signals as surf rolls over Excsk coil in shallow water if there is black sand in the surf as it rolls over the coil.

You can turn your sensitivity down, ignore the fallse signal if signal isn't repeatable, move to a little deeper water.

As ARC mentioned, make sure coil cover not holding sand. Always clean coil cover before going.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back