Error or damage?

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Minelab X-Terra Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT, WTB Black Tesoro Vaquero with RSD coil PM me!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 20240724_174425.jpg
    20240724_174425.jpg
    776.5 KB · Views: 54
Upvote 3
Looks like somebody gave that penny a dose of Ozempic
:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: I really just don't understand how the line got straight and across the center like that and with no dig on the rest of the cent.:dontknow:

I say it is damage from a long time ago as the toning of the copper looks uniform. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the closest type of mint error to this particular case would probably be a grease filled die? If this were to be a grease filled error then the "0" would not be misshapen inward. We would expect just a diminished presence of the "0" at the 3 to 6 o'clock position here.

I say it is damage from a long time ago as the toning of the copper looks uniform. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the closest type of mint error to this particular case would probably be a grease filled die? If this were to be a grease filled error then the "0" would not be misshapen inward. We would expect just a diminished presence of the "0" at the 3 to 6 o'clock position here.
Thanks for your insight 👍

This was a frequent occurrence back in the day.

The culprit was the Federal Reserve Bank rolling machines which had a crimping finger that made the "shotgun" rolls. Whichever coin ended up as a roll ender, the finger would catch and damage the last digit in the date. Here's the same phenomenon on a 1941 cent:

No real value, but you can say with certainty that your coin was an original ender. :laughing7:

This was a frequent occurrence back in the day.

The culprit was the Federal Reserve Bank rolling machines which had a crimping finger that made the "shotgun" rolls. Whichever coin ended up as a roll ender, the finger would catch and damage the last digit in the date. Here's the same phenomenon on a 1941 cent:

No real value, but you can say with certainty that your coin was an original ender. :laughing7:
Interesting!

The culprit was the Federal Reserve Bank rolling machines which had a crimping finger that made the "shotgun" rolls. Whichever coin ended up as a roll ender, the finger would catch and damage the last digit in the date.

Never knew of that. thanks for sharing that info.

CRH some cents on a rainy day today and this caught my eye. (The 0 in 1970) Has anyone seen this before? Thoughts on if its an error from the mint or damaged in circulation?
Definitely PMD. It got scraped with something right there across the 0, NOt an error though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back