Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this neat coin last week. I posted it on FB and Thom says he thinks it's a double strike. I know nothing about it other than that. I don't even dare try to clean it. Any further comments are more than welcome on it. :) The other Indian cent I dug the same day....different hole. It's 1906.
Thanks a bunch,
Nana
101_5244.JPG 101_5245.JPG

Attachments

• 101_5229.JPG
    101_5229.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 198
Now that we have discovered it's not a stamping error, we still have yet to figure out what it is. He said there were no other coins found in the hole (OP said he even rechecked it) so that pretty much rules out it being stuck to another coin. A lead disc with the reverse imprint of an Indian Head penny...perhaps an attempt to make a counterfeit die? Someone just having fun and smashing a penny into a piece of lead? The same goes for the quarter just posted....what the heck are they?

Upvote 0
Now that we have discovered it's not a stamping error, we still have yet to figure out what it is. He said there were no other coins found in the hole (OP said he even rechecked it) so that pretty much rules out it being stuck to another coin. A lead disc with the reverse imprint of an Indian Head penny...perhaps an attempt to make a counterfeit die? Someone just having fun and smashing a penny into a piece of lead? The same goes for the quarter just posted....what the heck are they?

Hendo, my WAG is it's CW camp art since it is made out of lead with a white patina and an IH penny was used. BTW, 'Nana'=she. :)

Breezie

Upvote 0
I like yer way of thinking, Breezie! ;) I don't know if we'll ever know why, but it was neat to find something odd...different. :) Heck, it was good just to get out for an August hunt after this long summer.
Your quarter is very neat too Rod! :icon_thumright:
Nana

Upvote 0
I've seen where two coins get stuck together for so long, then separate at one point leave a reverse. I would say carefully clean that coin to find out. Very neat though!

Upvote 0
More than likely just camp boredom. They melt some lead and press a coin into it. I have found an example of this but they used a flying eagle cent. My guy never finished his. Your guy must have had more time and trimmed it to size and everything. So i guess you could call it camp art.

Very cool find.

PC050546 2 rs.jpg

Upvote 0
Nana, after seeing Ron's post and photo, it confirms to me that your item is camp art.

Great find :)
Breezie

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back