Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apr 26, 2024
455 views • Apr 26, 2024
As residents walk on the beach in North Wildwood, they walk past large cliffs that have grown over the winter months. "Look at it now, it's 15-20 feet gone," North Wildwood has been hit hard by storms, and because the beaches are so small, city officials say bringing sand up from Wildwood's larger beaches is no longer an option.

Upvote 3
Jeff,
We have the same problem in SoCal.
Note the lifeguard stand guarding the beach.
What beach?
Don in SoCal

I guess it depends on how you look at it. I see it as an opportunity to find older stuff that's been buried for decades. I love going to the beach and seeing rocks! Game on!

I will be heading to Wildwood in a few weeks to do some detecting, although not in North Wildwood where the beach replenishment took place. This is always a fun location to hunt.

Apr 26, 2024
455 views • Apr 26, 2024
As residents walk on the beach in North Wildwood, they walk past large cliffs that have grown over the winter months. "Look at it now, it's 15-20 feet gone," North Wildwood has been hit hard by storms, and because the beaches are so small, city officials say bringing sand up from Wildwood's larger beaches is no longer an option.

I’ve gone and stayed at wildwood crest a few times it’s nice and this was incredible keep eyes peeled for large pieces of broken metal 🧐looks of the kids faces watching school bus being jumped then smashed!🤣🤣

I guess it depends on how you look at it. I see it as an opportunity to find older stuff that's been buried for decades. I love going to the beach and seeing rocks! Game on!
Glass half full vs half empty type thing.
I would see it as an opportunity for finding older stuff.

Reactions: OBN
Replenishment now days can add hundreds of feet to the beach, not a good thing over time for metal detecting. I guess there are Good and Bad's to both

Problem is being there when it happens. The EC Ocean beaches can change with each tide, I had a short period to experience the rocks and shells in 2008. It was Amazedly insane the amount of targets, every where. So many you could not dig a target, dump the scoop and expect to find that dug target for there were more (under) where you just dumped the original target. Crazy, all it took was a few tides to cover all back up.. all gone until the next erosive event.

Replenishment..

Those who were around in 2011?,... when they replenished Strathmere in Jersey,... will tell the story of all the ship wreck coins that got pumped in with the sand when they replenished that beach. Now... from what I have heard ... all replenishment on the east coast that pump sand in must be filtered for coins and munitions.

Here's another picture of the Oceanside (Ca.) beachfront last year. The life guard tower used to tower over a wide beach. Some say that million dollar sand replenishment projects primarily benefits the vacationers and the retail stores in the area; not the general public.--especially when the cost has to be repeated every few years.
Don in Socal.
1720023717616.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back