Early silver, Fur Trade and Revolutionary War.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Whoever said long distance relationships don't work...:laughing7:

Drove an other 3,5 hours to my favorite Revolutionary War spot. Wasn't expecting much as the site itself isn't that big but I believe I had a way better result than the last week's hunt (which I called back than ''My best Revolutionary War hunt'')

After an hour or so pulled my very first early Revolutionary War 34th Regiment of foot button. In fact, it's the first known type of the 34th regiment button. They are much rarer as the design goes back to 1768 and was replaced with the new one in 1780 The regiment fought many battles : Ticanderoga and Saratoga among others. They surrendered with the rest of Burgoyne's Army at Saratoga. The button is in an amazing condition for its age.
2.jpg

You can imagine that at this point the long drive was already well worth it but it was far from being the last good find of the day.

An hour or so later I pull an other 34th. I couldn't believe my eyes...
20180831_084306.jpg

I have never pulled 2 early Revolutionary War buttons on the same hunt. As I have mentioned they are way rarer than the later ones.
20180831_083614.jpg

To my great surprise, it wasn't over.
Only a half an hour later, pulled my 4th Trade axe. This one has an interesting design with the hole on its side. I believe it was made so the nail can be driven through the axe head into the handle for a better hold.
20180831_084004a.jpg20180831_083724.jpg20180831_083727.jpg

Than, on the way back to the highway where my car was parked, got an other good signal and my first early silver coin for this year.
George III countermarked Sixpence - 1817
20180831_084004.jpg

Couldn't be happier as on the same hunt, I have managed to find a great variety of relics in my favorite categories: Fur Trade, Revolutionary War and early silver. I believe it was my best detecting trip this year so far.

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Upvote 52
Outstanding finds, all of them-but the TWO 34th Regiment buttons are definitely the stars. I bet you were on cloud nine after finding those beauties! Congrats. As you said it is rare to find two Rev War buttons in one hunt, especially early ones. I'm voting BANNER for the buttons.

Thanks DownNDirty. I was super excited with the first one, you can imagine how I felt with after pulling the second one not long after. Yes, it's super rare to find the early Rev war buttons but being British regiment for some reason people just don't care much about. Thanks for the banner vote.

I hope my Fall is as productive as your Summer! :occasion14:

:laughing7:
I'm sure you'll have some great finds. Since you got your Deus you had some amazing results on the fields you've previously hit.

Last edited:
You killed it again - pair of 34th is nothing short of crazy. Love the countermark silver as well

Thanks VMI. It is crazy, one of my best hunts ever.

Wow, I love that early silver and the buttons! Does the backside of the coin still have any detail?

Very little detail left on the other side. I'm wondering if the polishing wasn't done on purpose by the merchant that countermarked it. I have seen it being done on large cent coins.

Excellent hunt! Congrats on the two British buttons. I once found two Royal Irish 18th regiment (RI.18) buttons on the same hunt, but they were nowhere near that condition.

Thanks Steve. Yes, the pewters rarely survive. Thankfully the soil was good to those two.

Those are some great finds! Killer buttons! I have always dreamed of finding one.. I hope that trade axe cleans up nice. It would look great if you re-mounted it on a wooden handle

Thanks Rubka. I'll need to start cleaning my axe heads, hopefully during the winter.

I wish some Armies had moved through my area. The eastern shore of Maryland has been called the β€œbreadbasket” of the revolution. Relatively peaceful and prosperous region during the war though the British did land just north of me in preparation for the Philadelphia campaign

Well I wish we had a bit more cobs and tree shillings where I'm hunting. :laughing7:

OMG those buttons are in great shape! Nice silver too! :icon_thumleft:

Yes, the condition is really surprising. As I have mentioned, the ground is very kind to pewters at that spot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back