Early relics-Applied silver annular buckle and my first COB...or maybe not??

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of weeks ago I ventured out to try a new very early plantation permission. I had high hopes of finding some quality relics and was not disappointed; I wish all hunts were this good!

As is usually the case with colonial sites I found a couple of buttons and a brass buckle early on, along with plenty of square nails. Things were looking promising. Then I got a 20 something signal on the Equinox that had that alluring "dig me" tone to it. After about 10 minutes of working my way around and underneath a pesky root I finally extracted the target from 5-6 inches deep. To my pleasant surprise it was an annular buckle with a thin, wide layer of applied silver on the top.

CCC.jpg DDD.jpg

2222.jpg

For those of you not familiar with annular buckles they date back to medieval times, and Whitehead's buckle book gives a date range of 1350-1720. I did a good bit of searching the 'net, including the UK Portable Antiquities Scheme and was unable to find another example with applied silver so I feel comfortable in saying this is a fairly rare buckle. The thin silver layer is an amazing condition considering the buckle's age.

Needless to say I was pretty pumped and felt like if I didn't dig another relic I would go home happy, but of course I kept swinging the coil (lol). Not twenty minutes later I dug another target that I thought might be a pewter button-but it had an irregular shape to it. After I wiped the dirt off both sides and saw that there was no shank on it I looked closer and saw a very faint outline of a cross. That was when I did my second happy dance of the day-I had just dug my very first COB!

mmm.jpg

jjj.jpg

Fast forward to the next day-
The coin had a very stubborn greyish patina/crust on it that was very difficult to remove. I decided to soak it in lemon juice because it was silver and lemon juice wouldn't damage silver. After several soaks I noticed that the silver was disappearing and a distinct copper tint was beginning to show. It was then that I realized that the coin was a contemporary counterfeit instead of a real cob (pun intended). I was disappointed, but at least it was made during the same time period that cobs were minted-so it's still an interesting find.

PP2.JPG

Now back to the hunt...
Other finds included several buttons-one of which was an interesting square shape-and two other buckles

BBB.jpg fff.jpg

I also dug this very early lathing hammer/hatchet; here it is before and after electrolysis and preservation

rrr.jpg 444.jpg

Here are all of my finds from the day's hunt

eee.jpg

Last weekend I did some scouting at another promising old site. The finds were few and far between but were enough to make me want to re-visit the spot.

AAA.jpg

A pewter spoon bowl, a sheet of lead that was folded over twice when I found it, and this interesting lead piece

xxx.jpg vvv.jpg

It looks similar to a bale or bag seal but there are no markings and it is bigger and heavier than any seal that I have found to date. Ideas??

Definitely a fun couple of hunts. Time to get out there and do it again! Good luck to all of y'all-stay hydrated and dig something good.

Last edited:
Upvote 26
I would unfold the lead & see whats inside, even if it damages it a bit. You may get a surprise.

I would unfold the lead & see whats inside, even if it damages it a bit. You may get a surprise.

I've already tried that-nothing written or inscribed on the inside unfortunately.

Congrats on great recoveries. Really enjoy seeing what is still being recovered in the low country /

Great job on restoration and congrats on your first cob even if it's a counterfeit!
The piece of lead you found looks like a flint wrap of a flintlock.

That's exactly what this is. Great ID, Westfront.

Fantastic finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back