Ear Knife

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Dragoo used this term back in the day ; it's kind of fallen out of use (along with recognition of the tool form as a distinct type) since. Aka "D-Knife."

Material -- I think -- is Buffalo River chert and location (guess) would be Kentucky or Tennessee. Another TD junkbox discovery.

Notice the flat backing platform opposite the blade. These guys knew what they were doing when they made tools.

Attachments

• DSC00210.jpg
    DSC00210.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 298
Upvote 0
I could skin a deer with that. Thinking deer, I may disappear for a few months :icon_sunny:

TnMountains said:
I could skin a deer with that. Thinking deer, I may disappear for a few months :icon_sunny:

speaking of deer, I dont know about your neck o the woods but round here there is a bumper crop of fawns, lots of twins and multiple births, saw a big body spike today. time to start building up the arm and shoot the bow.

sorry for the derail, Tn got me sidetracked lol.

really nice piece uniface, about that platform, is there a specific name for these polished grooves that fit the thumb/ fingers so well?

thirty7 said:
speaking of deer, I dont know about your neck o the woods but round here there is a bumper crop of fawns, lots of twins and multiple births, saw a big body spike today. time to start building up the arm and shoot the bow.

We were up at my parents lake cottage in Northern Indiana several weeks back, and we saw several doe/2 fawn combos, and about 40 deer all together. (We weren't looking for deer, these are just part of a large herd that lives around the cottages eating flowers and gardens.) Way too many for the area to support during the winter months.

Nice tool, I've picked up some great paleo tools from Kentucky collections over the years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back