Double silver weekend

Glen's Loyalists

Jan 7, 2024
So I spent most of my weekend cutting and moving firewood and tidying up a bit around the property. I did get out at the end of each day for a quick hunt that was really more of a poking around a bit. Each evening I got myself a silver coin so I can't complain. I tried a different setting on my old Deus 1 to give a bit more depth, and these showed up where I have looked many times previously.

Here's my weekends work:

IMG_3595.jpg

Nothing too old this time, the two silvers are a 1913 Ten Cent that looks like it went thru a fire, It was completely covered in a very hard black encrustation. The next day about 10 feet away I found a 1903 H 5 cent, which is much nicer. The well worn 1905 British Penny was found by my son about a week ago, so I'll include that here.

I have found dozens of crotal bells over the years but never an iron one before, this would be quite a bit later but at least 100 years old I would say, possibly more. It still rumbles.
I am not sure if the two iron pieces on the right go together but the top part might be the arm of the (calipers??) but I need to do a bit more cleaning to be sure. I positioned it more or less where it would be. I have been digging a lot more iron lately and have been finding some really interesting things.
I include the screw only because it is an old one with hand cut threads.
The lead bit is interesting, I found it where I believe there was a workshop 200 years ago. I am not sure what they were trying to do, but we have found a number of interesting lead items, such as a small anchor, which I will have to dig out and post.
The copper thing on the bottom left I have no idea as to what it is. The thread of the screw looks hand cut, but maybe not. Perhaps part of a window latch? Any ideas?

I really like the way the British pennies tone when in the ground. They seem to stand up well with a beautiful smooth surface and great toning. From the amount of wear on it I suspect it was lost in the 1940's or later, but that adds character.

IMG_3593.jpg
IMG_3590.jpg

Best of luck everybody...

Upvote 12
Nice old silver! Are ten cent coins in Canada called “dimes”?
Ten cents silver Canadian coins are often referred to as a '10 cent piece' and the silver 5 cents coins are called a 5 cent piece, a fishy or fishscale being they are the same size as the scales on a large Salmon. Believe they are also the smallest Canadian silver coins made.

:occasion14:

You did really well on that site Glen, love the George V & Edward VII silvers too. :occasion14:

I'm curious as to what you tried here, "tried a different setting on my old Deus 1 to give a bit more dept." I'm still using my Deus that I bought new in 2016. I'd love too know what you changed in the program, as I have many old sites I've detected for years that I'm sure have more to give yet.

Thanks,
Dave

From what I can see from your photo, your mystery item looks like a canvas/tarp hold-down cleat. Boats and pickup tonneau covers use them among others.

Ten cents silver Canadian coins are often referred to as a '10 cent piece' and the silver 5 cents coins are called a 5 cent piece, a fishy or fishscale being they are the same size as the scales on a large Salmon. Believe they are also the smallest Canadian silver coins made.

:occasion14:
They are also called fish scales because they were often pierced and used as an attractor for fishing lures

You did really well on that site Glen, love the George V & Edward VII silvers too. :occasion14:

I'm curious as to what you tried here, "tried a different setting on my old Deus 1 to give a bit more dept." I'm still using my Deus that I bought new in 2016. I'd love too know what you changed in the program, as I have many old sites I've detected for years that I'm sure have more to give yet.

Thanks,
Dave
Well, my controller is now officially dead, so I am going by tones right now, and enjoying it actually. I used the standard #6 deep program, and lowered the frequency from 8 to 4 and went with 3 tones. I also set the ground balance to 80, which works for where I was on my land. Then I went low and slow and dug signals even if they had an iron crunch, as there is some mineralization in the ground. The soil here is very deep, feet in some places before hardpan or clay. I know the oldest stuff is deep so I am playing around with settings a bit before pulling the trigger on an updated machine.

So I spent most of my weekend cutting and moving firewood and tidying up a bit around the property. I did get out at the end of each day for a quick hunt that was really more of a poking around a bit. Each evening I got myself a silver coin so I can't complain. I tried a different setting on my old Deus 1 to give a bit more depth, and these showed up where I have looked many times previously.

Here's my weekends work:

View attachment 2173109

Nothing too old this time, the two silvers are a 1913 Ten Cent that looks like it went thru a fire, It was completely covered in a very hard black encrustation. The next day about 10 feet away I found a 1903 H 5 cent, which is much nicer. The well worn 1905 British Penny was found by my son about a week ago, so I'll include that here.

I have found dozens of crotal bells over the years but never an iron one before, this would be quite a bit later but at least 100 years old I would say, possibly more. It still rumbles.
I am not sure if the two iron pieces on the right go together but the top part might be the arm of the (calipers??) but I need to do a bit more cleaning to be sure. I positioned it more or less where it would be. I have been digging a lot more iron lately and have been finding some really interesting things.
I include the screw only because it is an old one with hand cut threads.
The lead bit is interesting, I found it where I believe there was a workshop 200 years ago. I am not sure what they were trying to do, but we have found a number of interesting lead items, such as a small anchor, which I will have to dig out and post.
The copper thing on the bottom left I have no idea as to what it is. The thread of the screw looks hand cut, but maybe not. Perhaps part of a window latch? Any ideas?

I really like the way the British pennies tone when in the ground. They seem to stand up well with a beautiful smooth surface and great toning. From the amount of wear on it I suspect it was lost in the 1940's or later, but that adds character.

View attachment 2173112 View attachment 2173113

Best of luck everybody...
great finds all around, love those, especially the old silver, wtg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back