Double silver weekend

Glen's Loyalists

Jan 7, 2024
So I spent most of my weekend cutting and moving firewood and tidying up a bit around the property. I did get out at the end of each day for a quick hunt that was really more of a poking around a bit. Each evening I got myself a silver coin so I can't complain. I tried a different setting on my old Deus 1 to give a bit more depth, and these showed up where I have looked many times previously.

Here's my weekends work:

IMG_3595.jpg

Nothing too old this time, the two silvers are a 1913 Ten Cent that looks like it went thru a fire, It was completely covered in a very hard black encrustation. The next day about 10 feet away I found a 1903 H 5 cent, which is much nicer. The well worn 1905 British Penny was found by my son about a week ago, so I'll include that here.

I have found dozens of crotal bells over the years but never an iron one before, this would be quite a bit later but at least 100 years old I would say, possibly more. It still rumbles.
I am not sure if the two iron pieces on the right go together but the top part might be the arm of the (calipers??) but I need to do a bit more cleaning to be sure. I positioned it more or less where it would be. I have been digging a lot more iron lately and have been finding some really interesting things.
I include the screw only because it is an old one with hand cut threads.
The lead bit is interesting, I found it where I believe there was a workshop 200 years ago. I am not sure what they were trying to do, but we have found a number of interesting lead items, such as a small anchor, which I will have to dig out and post.
The copper thing on the bottom left I have no idea as to what it is. The thread of the screw looks hand cut, but maybe not. Perhaps part of a window latch? Any ideas?

I really like the way the British pennies tone when in the ground. They seem to stand up well with a beautiful smooth surface and great toning. From the amount of wear on it I suspect it was lost in the 1940's or later, but that adds character.

IMG_3593.jpg
IMG_3590.jpg

Best of luck everybody...

Upvote 8
Nice old silver! Are ten cent coins in Canada called “dimes”?
Ten cents silver Canadian coins are often referred to as a '10 cent piece' and the silver 5 cents coins are called a 5 cent piece, a fishy or fishscale being they are the same size as the scales on a large Salmon. Believe they are also the smallest Canadian silver coins made.

:occasion14:

Those fishy's can be very tricky to snipe out of trashy ground! Great finds and well done!:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back