Digging pop tabs and foil produces gold with ice, nice cat ring from new permission and a surprise merc

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I got a new permission for a K to 8th grade school. I worked here for a year a long time ago. It used to be a K to 12 school and I did some limited detecting here about 20 years ago.

I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 123 coins with a face value of $8.91, a metal JACK OF HEARTS, wheat pennies, a Canadian dime, zipper pulls, cheapie jewelry, a top hat monopoly piece, a San Juan pendant, a BUSHCH GARDEN token, a toy car, tabs, foil and aluminum fence wire.

DSCN3365.jpeg

The wheaties are a 1957 D and 2 crusty ones I can’t get a date on. I also found a gold penny. Someone painted the thing with gold paint.

DSCN3366.jpeg

The jack of hearts is actually a ninja throwing card. It is heavy, made of steel and has sharp edges. I found them on sale on line, a set of 5 for $29.99.

DSCN3365.jpeg

I find zipper pieces frequently. Normally I don’t post them but I found so many today I thought I should include them.
One ring looks nice, but it is costume jewelry. It has a tiny cat hanging onto the yellow CZ. My granddaughter likes cats so I’ll see if she wants it.

DSCN3372.jpeg

DAY 2
I went back to the middle school and worked a section of the ball field between 2 sections I have gridded before. When I started things were very slow and I almost moved on to another area, but as I worked things got better and I ended up with a good hunt.

In 6.5 hours of swingin the CZ21 I found 100 coins with a face value of $8.13, 3 wheaties, a very old brass window sash lock, 4 rings, 5 screw in cleats, a broken pendant, a small roundball, a silver dime, a car key (1940s and 50s type), a brass screw, a wing nut, can slaw, tabs, aluminum fence wire and pencil ends.

DSCN3373.jpeg

DSCN3375.jpeg

The brass sash lock is a nice one. It was about 10 inches down in the dry hard ground. The spring is broken, but the rest is in good shape.

DSCN3380.jpeg

DSCN3381.jpeg

Mid tones can be a lot of things. Can tabs, foil, nickels, badly eaten up zinc pennies, small musket balls and gold. If you pass up on those mid tones you will miss out on the fun of seeing that shiny gold jewelry peaking out of the dirt. This trip I found all of the above as I was cleaning out a section of the field. The gold is a nice little 10k ring with mother of pearl panels on each side (one is missing), a nice pink topaz in the center and 6 tiny white diamonds around the topaz. It was well worth all the junky target digging. Take it from old TNThunter, join the fun, clean up the trash and go for the gold.

DSCN3379.jpeg

DAY 3
Back to the middle school hoping for another good day. I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 92 coins with a face value of $5.60, 3 rings, a military style hat pin, 3 .22 caliber starter pistol blanks, 2 screw in cleats, a Saint Judd medal, a modern button, 2 screw on end caps, a beat up toy car, aluminum bottle caps, can slaw, tabs, aluminum fence wire and pencil ends.

DSCN3382.jpeg

DSCN3383.jpeg

One of the rings looked like gold and it is kind of gold. It is an 18k HEAVY GOLD ELECTROPLATE ring. In a way it is at least a little gold, but not enough to really count darn it.

DSCN3384.jpeg

DAY 4 part 1
I went to the local dog park. The ground it is on used to be 2 playing fields (baseball and football). I have found goodies here before and figured I could pick up a little change and maybe get lucky.

I spent 3.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 27 coins with a face value of $2.01, a combination lock with letters instead of numbers (WORDLOCK), a decorative piece of cheapie metal, a silver dime, a brass hose end cap, an aluminum carabiner, an ACE bandage clip, a fancy rod end, can slaw, aluminum bottle caps and tabs.

DSCN3387.jpeg

The Mercury dime was a nice surprise, but the most surprising part was were I found it. I would expect to find one in the dirt where the playing fields were, but that’s not where I found it. When the city resurfaces roads they grind off several inches of asphalt and truck it to a parking area adjacent to one of the parks. They use the stuff to make pathways and trails in the parks. At the dog park they have used the recycled asphalt for paths and a 10 x 30 pad just inside the entrance to each enclosure the dogs use. I was swinging over the pad in one of the enclosures when I got a good signal. I figured it might be a coin so I dug in. Now this stuff is tough and packed hard so I didn’t dig as much as I scraped and pried pieces out of the way until a coin popped out (the Garrett carrot told me where to scrape and which chunks to pry out). I knew it was a dime, but was surprised when I rubbed it and saw the shine. It is pretty beat up and I know it is a D but the date is not readable. This poor thing has had quite a life to end up in the recycled asphalt. I’m luck I can tell what it is at all.

DSCN3388.jpeg

DSCN3389.jpeg

IMG_8921.jpeg

IMG_8923.jpeg

DAY 4 part 2
I had some time left so I went to the closest park and check on a spot in the woods where I have seen kids playing. No luck there so I did a quick check around the ball fields and a short hunt at the tot lot.

In 2 hours I found 7 coins with a face value of $0.44, a pocket watch frame, a car wash token (still usable for $1 off), a sinker, a fishing lure, another bunch of key charms, a few tabs and a little can slaw.

DSCN3390.jpeg

I have covered this park pretty well and so there are not a lot of targets. You hope for recent losses and that one of those is a goodie. The key charms all came from the tot lot. I cleaned them out pretty well last time, but when I got there this trip they were scattered around and many were right on the surface. I could spot them before the coil was over them. Somebody must have a ton of these things and is pretty careless with them. I wish they would stop loosing them.

DSCN3391.jpeg

NON DETETOR FINDS
I managed to find 3 pennies walking around, 4 quarters and 2 pennies in the coinstar and a nickel a dime and 4 pennies in a parking lot.

DSCN3386.jpeg

The parking lot coins were found when I rescued this box turtle from the middle of the road. I was driving to the dog park to detect and saw this guy in the road tucked into his shell because of the cars zooming by. I pulled off into the parking lot and got him out of the road and into the grass on the other side of the lot so he would be safe. (He really took off after I put him down). When I looked back toward the truck the sun was shining off of the coins and making them hard to miss. 19 cents isn’t much of a reward for saving a life, but you take what you can get and I wasn’t expecting a reward anyway.

IMG_8920.jpeg

Some silver, some gold and something old makes for a good week. I will be going camping this weekend in a park where I can hunt the water for a few hours each morning. This place usually produces silver and gold, but not many coins. Maybe I’ll get real lucky and find more diamonds. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 21
Great job on all the finds! good thing you didn't get cut on that throwing card
😬

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back