Davis vegetable painkiller bottle

My book doesnt show picture but says this..."AQUA,4 7/8",open pontil,applied double collar mouth,American, 1840-1860 $180-250...please take as is out of book,not a bottle guy myself.

****Assume you were looking for some id help?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't see a pontil scar from what little I can tell from looking through the bottle to the base. Davis was partnered with his son and eventually his son and anathor partner after the senior Davis died. This one looks a bit later than the 1840-60 bottle that Happy Camper referenced. Nice bottle though...the claim was that this painkiller was "good for both man and beast".

Perry Davis

Upvote 0
Trying to google what an "open pontil " bottle is...what does this refer to,realize the bottom of bottle and was it how formed?

I don't see a pontil scar from what little I can tell from looking through the bottle to the base. Davis was partnered with his son and eventually his son and anathor partner after the senior Davis died. This one looks a bit later than the 1840-60 bottle that Happy Camper referenced. Nice bottle though...the claim was that this painkiller was "good for both man and beast".

Perry Davis

Upvote 0
Open pontil is a scare on the bottom of the bottle you can also have a iron pontil scare it will look like a circle on the base of the bottle well a indented circle

Upvote 0
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
No pontil on this bottle but still can dat 1860-1880

Upvote 0
Has 43 on the bottom probably can get a exact date out of that

Upvote 0
Thanks..been swinging detector for 5 years,in my mid 50's and swear Im gonna look for "trash pit" this year at old site...love to do a privy but my body aint up to it.Im always bringing home bottles I find out in the open but want to hit an old private dump this year..even with that I have little knowledge about bottles but still bring them home.Just amazing to find a bottle 100 years old still all in one piece out in the woods.

No pontil on this bottle but still can dat 1860-1880

Upvote 0
Yeah the pain goes away when you start finding them lol but from what I learned you have to dig 95 percent of what is above ground is garbage. Me myself have not been able to get in a privy where the really good stuff is but I will soon

Upvote 0
Although you will find a gem sitting on top of the ground sometimes just pay attention to the seam on the side of the bottle if it stops short on the neck and doesn't go all the way up to the top it isn't machine made

Upvote 0
I have a book that explains the mold marks along seam,we have been at some old cellar holes and found remnants of old bottles that made me cringe at the broken pieces...some very indented pontils on lots of pieces..not exactly sure what that means at the moment as can only bring in so many new thoughts as it pushes out old ones...we got about 3 ft of snow on ground,cant wait for the treaded heat wave..lol

Although you will find a gem sitting on top of the ground sometimes just pay attention to the seam on the side of the bottle if it stops short on the neck and doesn't go all the way up to the top it isn't machine made

Upvote 0
Then there are more right under that start digging

Upvote 0
opium in an alcohol base....you dam straight it killed pain alright! A pretty common bottle, not much value buy great to find and keep, I have a couple myself.

Upvote 0
Judging by the tooled top of this bottle this bottle ranges between 1880s 1890s. If it was older it would have an applied top and pontil mark. And the 43 on the bottom is just a mold number and is not a date code.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back