Danimals lunchtime unearthments-10/26 update-ok dig

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Danimal's lunchtime unearthments-10/26 update-ok dig

So yesterday I started hunting an area just behind where all my lunchtime digs have taken place. Same woods, just deeper and older. Hunting alongside an old roadbed (just two deep ruts running through the woods) I found a 1887 Indian Head Penny. This REALLY is my first found IH. My other one was kinda a gimme from Mirage's son Nate, who allowed me to listen to and dig a signal he though might be an IH, as it was near some he found.
This one I found on my own!...felt real good. It's in real rough shape, but the date was easily readable after a peroxide soak and brass brushing.
I also found a musketball in beautiful condition, unfired (but I can't find it now!...might be in my car somewhere).
Since this is still near where I work, I will devote the next few weeks hunting this older area and see what else I can find!

HH all!

Attachments

• 1887indian.jpg
    1887indian.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,407
Upvote 0
Re: Danimal's daily digs-PART DEUX

congrats on the IH Danimal! I found my first IH yesterday also. 1897. That was my first dig of the day and all the rest was junk but I was happy to have found what I have been searching for.

Funkman

Dan,
Most of the time thats how those IH's look around here. :P Still is a great find and at least you can read the date. :)
Good luck at that site.

Bob

Congrats on the first Indian man.

HH Jer

JerDfx said:
Congrats on the first Indian man.

HH Jer

Thanks Jer!...what is your next weekend looking like? Email or call me!

Today, I found out just how SPOILED I am from the foundations I have been working at lunch since this spring. It seemed that every few minutes I had a good sounding target to dig, and the resultant expectations of what it would be:
-old toy car?
-old silverware?
--wheatie? silver coin?
etc, etc...
today, returning to the woods where the IH was found Sunday, it was apparent that there a LOT of area to work, and not much time. Do I wander (Like Nate ;D) or do I try and slowly cover a small section of the road bed I found?
I selected to work a small section slow. Started near where the IH was. NADA...started to wander...NADA....time running out, I went back to the IH spot, and worked a slowly widening circle away from the road.
Ended up w/3 bullets. One's kinda weird shaped.
I will contemplate where and what to do later tonight before sleep.

HH all!

Attachments

• 10-9lunch.jpg
    10-9lunch.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,348

Congratulations on the Indian, Dan. That is one of the biggies when it comes to firsts, in my book. Took me a long time to find my 1st one :)

Today, against my nagging inclination to go back to the newer area and scrape out a few more coins, I went back again to where the IH was.
I located a cellar hole and man was the area blanketed in signals. I tried starting with anything that sounded remotely good, and so began my first foray into "relic hunting".
I convinced myself that removing this metal from the ground might lead to a coin being found. Interesting digs nonetheless included:
large horseshoe
numerous sq. head nails and asst other crusty fasteners
two do-dads I have no idea what they are
one sm. blue enameled bowl bad shape
part of a gold-trimmed platter of some sort
part of a clock
part of a make-up container?? that says "Aubry Sisters Beautifier" on it.

Hopefully a coin or something pops up in the next few days.

HH all!

Attachments

• 10-10lunchrelics.jpg
    10-10lunchrelics.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,242

Congratulations on that IH great find. I hope it cleans up well. Both of mine were too far gone.

Rev

one sm. blue enameled bowl bad shape
part of a gold-trimmed platter of some sort
looks like you are in some rich peoples trash area,I bet there are some nice coins and other finds just waiting for you to discover,enjoy your lunch :}

safe to say you found the "shed" aka tools garage garbage spot

Dan,
You are on the right path. It is easy to be tempted by quick gratification of coins from the 40's to present. Resist and keep digging that trash. Cellar holes have a ton of large iorn pieces. I would switch back to the smaller coil. Yes, dig it all. It will take some time but I do think you will be rewarded. This is what the professionals like JerDFX and I do. ;) :D

Bob

Well, I am gonna stick with it a while, as I am sure that eventually I will find an area with some coins in this "new" foundation zone. Today I found more of a bottle-dump area, and before moving on, pulled an intact "full 1/2 pint" whiskey-type bottle with non-threaded top. Judging by the 1915 Coca Cola bottle bottom-half and other junk here, this was a homestead from the late 1800 to the early 1900s. Then a small medicine-type old bottle (too bad it's broken..I kept it for the pic anyways)I also pulled several rusted iron rings and other things that looked like parts of horse harnesses, including LARGE still-intact but rotted leather straps with dress studs on it. I left these on a large rock at the site. I'll take my camera along soon to get pictures of them.
As I worked away from what I THINK is the house area itself, I got a nice ringer of a tone, even though it pinpointed kinda big...so I dug it. It was a real cool brass door lock cover plate. Running low on time I pulled an old thimble (not silver, but my first thimble). As I was leaving I had a GREAT signal and pulled a circular ID tag made of brass. It's about the same size as a dollar coin, so you can imagine my feelings as I pinpointed it at the bottom of a 6" deep hole and was about to pry it out!...Oh well... I also pulled an old cap to a bottle that caught my eye as being old.
The coins are there SOMEWHERE...I will keep pulling stuff out till I find one (or two or three)

HH all!

Attachments

• 10-11lunchrelics.jpg
    10-11lunchrelics.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,120

Mirage said:
Dan,
You are on the right path. It is easy to be tempted by quick gratification of coins from the 40's to present. Resist and keep digging that trash. Cellar holes have a ton of large iorn pieces. I would switch back to the smaller coil. Yes, dig it all. It will take some time but I do think you will be rewarded. This is what the professionals like JerDFX and I do. ;) :D

Bob

Sarcasm noted Bob...let me know and I can help you with a few tricks to help you get that first V nickle ;)

Sounds like a great site to me. Hope your patients pays off.
good luck and happy hunting.
Burdie

I like the brass Victorian door knocker.Cool find!Your doing a great job working that site.Like you said...there's bound to be a coin or two or three there for you to find.
Best of luck on future hunts. HH!

groundfisher said:
I like the brass Victorian door knocker.Cool find!Your doing a great job working that site.Like you said...there's bound to be a coin or two or three there for you to find.
Best of luck on future hunts. HH!

It's not a doorknocker-it's part of the actual door lock mechanism itself. In the front center is the keyhole, and the "knocker" has a lever on the other side to actuate the lock. It's a beautiful relic, and could be cleaned up to like new.

Nice doorknocker or what ever it is! Any out houses in the area, would be fun to dig one out! HH, Mike

Re: Danimal's daily digs-10/12 update ho hum

I am going mad digging old stuff now, but no coins. I seem to be finding their old trash (see old colgate toothpaste tubes in pic) and such, but it doesn't seem like I am in an area where people DROPED stuff that wasn't intendd on being discarded.
Still, some cool finds:
old doorknob
two old lead-feeling toothpaste tubes, one with a real cool monogramed top
rusted iron bits
old shotgun shell

Gonna give it a few more days and start widening my search area.

HH all!

Attachments

• 10-12lunchrelics.jpg
    10-12lunchrelics.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 978

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back