Couple coins I am curious about..

tonyclark34

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, Im brand new to the site and am blown away by all the great info Im finding on here.

I have a couple coins I am curious about and I hope you guys can help me out.

The first coin was sold to me as an authentic Atocha 1 spanish reale coin (grade 1). I have included the COA that came with it but it is labeled "Duplicate" on the cert and I found that strange. When I questioned the seller they said that was common. The look and feel of the coin checks out to me but I am not an expert.

The 2nd coin is a coin my father left me when he passed away. He wore this coin for many years around his neck but he always claimed he suspected it was a replica. It does not have any documentation but I am curious what you guys think of it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

***Also posted this thread in "Spanish Cobs" section. Figured I would get more eyes on it in this area though :)

Attachments

• 20210626_221952.jpg
    20210626_221952.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210626_221938.jpg
    20210626_221938.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210626_222531.jpg
    20210626_222531.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 68
  • atocha.jpg
    atocha.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 20210626_222505.jpg
    20210626_222505.jpg
    793.7 KB · Views: 82
No opinions?? I'm bringing these to a rare coin dealer tomorrow to have them looked at but I figured with so many knowledgeable people on this site I could get at least some info from u guys. Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Upvote 0
Lack of response is because you really can't judge or evaluate a coin going by a picture. I won't address the COA, But I have doubts about the first coin also?

Upvote 0
Welcome,

I would be leery. "Duplicate" may be one of the replica coins that the Mel Fisher online store (still doing business) sells. Though even some of the replicas aren't cheap. They are struck from recovered bullion from the Atocha. But there are also $70 replica coin pennants that are just "re-creation" pieces. I recommend you contact them.

https://store.melfisher.com/

The gold coin does appear to be a jewelry item rather than a gold coin. But gold is gold.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies and warm welcome fellas! So the 2nd coin is definitely a replica (the pics make it look gold it is in fact silver...sorry for the poor quality pic). I was more interested in what you guys thought of the 1 reale with the "duplicate" coa. I have emailed the Mel Fisher museum after speaking to them and am awaiting their response. They said they do not issue "duplicate" certs so there is something weird about it. I am just in love with the coin and know its super hard to find a 1 reale in that kind of condition from the Atocha so Im chomping at the bit to know what the deal is with it.

edit: My fear is its just a land find coin and it is being represented as a authentic Atocha coin. I guess I will just have to wait to hear back from museum though...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IMO...

First coin is a "made from bars" coin.

Second appears to be gold... but is a copy of a silver Spanish coin.

Upvote 0
Might be nothing or something, but every COA I find has a picture of said coin, versus a drawing of it on it. See example below, every COA i found online looked like this.

AtochaCert.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This might be the nail in the coffin, the final part of the COA is different.

Original one reads:

....and its artifacts have remained in the possession of Treasure Salvors, Inc. until this time.

Yours reads:

....and it artifacts have remained in Treasure Salvors, Inc. possession until this time.

Notice the words on yours are it artifacts versus its artifacts, its is spelt it on yours and the order is changed on the last statement. I didn't go through the entire COA to look for more errors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You Sir, are on top of it. Good catch.

I have seen other certs with just a photo copy of the coins (like the one I pictured) but that phrase being different and "its" being misspelled. Thats definitely the nail in the coffin for me. RIP

Upvote 0
You Sir, are on top of it. Good catch.

I have seen other certs with just a photo copy of the coins (like the one I pictured) but that phrase being different and "its" being misspelled. Thats definitely the nail in the coffin for me. RIP

Sorry for my bad manners, welcome to TNet from Panama City, Florida.

I would have them checked still, just to be sure.....

Upvote 0
I spend a lot of time in the Destin/FWB area for work. Beautiful spot...

Thanks for the info. I am definitely gonna still have the 1 reale looked at by the museum but I dont have my hopes up.

Cant win em all...

Upvote 0
I spend a lot of time in the Destin/FWB area for work. Beautiful spot...

Thanks for the info. I am definitely gonna still have the 1 reale looked at by the museum but I dont have my hopes up.

Cant win em all...

Good luck and please keep us updated and let's us know what you learn/find out!

True the beaches and area around here is quite beautiful, love the white sugar sand we have on our beaches.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back