Could it really work?

Answer to the title of the topic: not very well if at all.

If a cheap way of finding gold is what your after, your better off just buying a shovel, bucket, and a sluice. Get digging, move much more material then that thing. Gold is not easy to find, you usually need to run a lot of material to find any, unless you hit a pocket, but that is uncommon and most likely under several feet of gravel, or in a deep pool, or under a boulder, or all of the previous comments combined :icon_scratch:.

Topic -if it cost $2,500 it better work!That thing looks like a piece of sh-t but could people use 12 volt to make a better 1 ?Yes Dredge AP-102SM Sale! Price: $2,690.00

On Sale:$2,490.00
You save: $200.00! (7.43%)

I have a truck load of shovels but why would you want to dig where so many others have been diggin for years?You could stick this thing /nozzle & bildge pump on a pole & suck sand & gold with out ever getting in the water !

Attachments

• gold  dredge.jpg
    gold dredge.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,350
RELICDUDE07 said:
I have a truck load of shovels but why would you want to dig where so many others have been diggin for years?You could stick this thing /nozzle & bildge pump on a pole & suck sand & gold with out ever getting in the water !

Because for one, gold is the heaviest thing in the river/creek. It tends to stay close to the bottom, usually under several feet of material. Material that consists of gravel, cobbles, and boulders. Material that thing won't be able to move. If you don't want to get your feet wet or work hard then maybe gold mining isn't for you.

Now some areas do have flood gold up on the banks and sandbars. But again, you also have to run a lot of material to find anything worthwhile. And even in sandbars before you reach the bottom (where most gold would be) you have cobbles to deal with....

RELICDUDE07 said:
ok if you say so it must be true !

Lol, is that the picture from the beginning of that bering sea gold show? Looks exactly like it. And no, that was placed there by the production crew to get the viewers hearts pumping. Doesn't work like that.

Now you could find gold in cracks of exposed bedrock and what not. That's what a lot of guys use those hand pumps and snipers for. But again, that requires work and getting your feet wet to find those cracks and crevices. :icon_scratch:

I just don't understand the whole "stick a pole with a bilge pump on it, that most likely won't even work very well, into a creek while I stand on the bank blindly jabbing it into the creek bottom" concept.

It's called "I want to find gold without getting wet or dirty" method. AKA "can't figure why I never find gold"

oragonads said:
RELICDUDE07 said:
ok if you say so it must be true !

Lol, is that the picture from the beginning of that bering sea gold show? Looks exactly like it. And no, that was placed there by the production crew to get the viewers hearts pumping. Doesn't work like that.

Aw man I had my little dredge packed and ready to go :notworthy:

RELICDUDE07 said:
Got lucky today at a yard sale found this 12 volt pump for $10.00 It has 60 psi ....I tested & it works fine.. I will keep you guys posted when this V-pump thing comes in the mail-i can put it all together & try it close to my house....No gold around but i can try it in the bay & pump sand .If it works well i will upload a Video on the Poor Mans Dredge in action!

You will need a deepcycle battery to run that pump and that = a lot of weight 50-75 ibs.My 2 inch dredge highbanker with pump only weighs 60lbs and is a proven design.It also catches the shiny yellow stuff we all crave.

Attachments

• pan2.jpg
    pan2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 660
  • pan2.jpg
    pan2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 596
nice gold!!!!Guys im just having fun....I will be at Ganes creek & plan on nugget shooting the most...I put this together today-had the old pump in the shed-plus had the battery from my dewalt drill...Had to spend $5.38 American on the Pvc fittings,this thing is shooting water about 6 ft out the top of the 8 ft stick of pipe.Its a very small pump & i have a few more pumps to test also for the mud sucking!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    425.6 KB · Views: 866
Took the liberty of resizing your photo.

001.JPG

Thanks goodyguy-my whole point was to get deep enough in water so ( I )wouldnt have to dive with a wet suit.And i wanted something light to carry way into the bush....This weights about 3 lbs, if it works well i can have 1 in each hand..........And the batteries in my jacket pocket!

This may sound weird, but we have one of those old power wheels jeeps we picked up at a garage sale for the kids a few years back. The battery for that is a 12V. I'd assume it's a type of deep cycle (or similar) battery as we run it down to 0, and charge it back up daily in the summer. Check em out.... you can get these pretty cheap....and Toys R Us / Amazon even has them in stock. You might get more run time on one of those as opposed to a power tool battery. :icon_scratch:

you might even get lucky and find one at a garage sale.....

51-A-b2pzfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

best o' luck.

I did test today At the bay front for pumpin sand-it did ok...I also wanted to see how long the dewalt would last-well i guess the drill really took alot of torque & this pump has very little, ran for over 4 hours & i had enough & had to get something to eat! Thanks guys

This is reallly cool in this vid & looks like it would have great power!Mau be some can help me under stand what the hell they are getting the power source from?

RELICDUDE07 said:
This is reallly cool in this vid & looks like it would have great power!Mau be some can help me under stand what the hell they are getting the power source from? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2F7FhavFJg

The batteries are Lipos (lithium polymer) batteries used in RC. They look to be pretty good size, I'm guessing 5s 5000mah and they are being used with an ESC (electronic speed controller) to power a brushless outrunner motor. Check out Hobbyking.com as a source for the lipos. As you might have guessed, I was really into flying electric planes before I got into playing with gold...

Hey thanks for the info!im looking for all ways to find gold.......Small tools when needed & larger 1s whatever to get the job done.....Im thinking this may work really good also -plug a proline style dredge on the back jet...The way the water flows under the ski-i dont think it would hurt it....Plus you could drive it to the gold & than dredge with it -just save some gas to get home! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back