Could Anyone Help Me ID This Metal Detecting Find?

HughSonLofts

Feb 9, 2020
Wales
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0[1].jpg

Could you help me id this Metal Detecting Find or send me in a direction/website
Where I can upload metal detecting finds and get answers easily

looks like the top of a piece of cutlery - any hallmark on the reverse?

chub

Upvote 0
Chub is right the handle to a knife spoon or some kind of cutlery

Upvote 0
If it is a spoon/flatware handle then the end is what we would call 'dog-nose' pattern, which was generally in use between about 1695 to 1715. I have to say that the decoration looks substantially older than that though, unless this was crudely cottage-industry crafted. I've never seen a really early spoon with a handle of that shape though. I suppose it could conceivably be substantially pre-1600s and something other than a piece of flatware (mirror handle or something) but I'm more convinced it's from a spoon. Anything at all on the back? And does the 'broken' end show signs that it is actually broken rather than having been affixed to something?

Since you're querying Celtic and Roman, can we assume this was found in Europe? If so where?

And welcome.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for your response @Red-Coat

it was found in United Kingdom in wales , USK near ancient roman village of caerleon

Upvote 0
If it is a spoon/flatware handle then the end is what we would call 'dog-nose' pattern, which was generally in use between about 1695 to 1715. I have to say that the decoration looks substantially older than that though, unless this was crudely cottage-industry crafted. I've never seen a really early spoon with a handle of that shape though. I suppose it could conceivably be substantially pre-1600s and something other than a piece of flatware (mirror handle or something) but I'm more convinced it's from a spoon. Anything at all on the back? And does the 'broken' end show signs that it is actually broken rather than having been affixed to something?

Since you're querying Celtic and Roman, can we assume this was found in Europe? If so where?

And welcome.

Thank you very much for your response @Red-Coat

it was found in United Kingdom in wales , USK near ancient roman village of caerleon

Upvote 0
Like your spoon bowl also posted here, the flaking leads me to believe it is pewter. Put them together and you have a spoon. As to an internet site where you can upload metal detecting finds and get answers easily, I would suggest TreasureNet.

Upvote 0
Like your spoon bowl also posted here, the flaking leads me to believe it is pewter. Put them together and you have a spoon. As to an internet site where you can upload metal detecting finds and get answers easily, I would suggest TreasureNet.

Lol :laughing7: first response was 7 minutes...

chub

Upvote 0
I have heard of that site before, is it any good? Yes if you put the spoon bowl end from the other post with the handle from this post it does make a spoon. See theres some smart people on here too lol

Upvote 0

And welcome.

Based on the style of casting, the shape/design and the decoration on the piece, my feeling is that it's a later 'transitional' period piece as opposed to earlier. :icon_scratch:
Stylistically, I'm thinking it possibly dates from the early to mid-1800s.

"Pewter was made in Europe, parts of Asia, and throughout North America. From the 1500s to the 1900s, three grades of pewter were used. Fine metal pewter was used for tableware objects and low-grade pewter was used for objects that were not in contact with food. Pewter, by the 19th Century, was used in large numbers for casting objects such as tankers, oil lamps and lanterns, candlesticks, tea sets, etc. Before the production of porcelains for tableware, like Limoges porcelains and Meissen porcelain, pewter was used for many types of tableware. From the late 18th Century until the early 20th Century, pewter was used to make cups, mugs, flagons, porridgers, chargers, trays, plates, platters, ash pots, etc. Pewter is a metal that is approximately between 85% and 95% tin with other metals like copper, antimony, silver or lead comprising the remaining parts. The word "pewter" comes from the term spelter often used to describe zinc and other alloys." - Dr. Lori Verderame

Dave

Upvote 0
Based on the style of casting, the shape/design and the decoration on the piece, my feeling is that it's a later 'transitional' period piece as opposed to earlier. :icon_scratch:
Stylistically, I'm thinking it possibly dates from the early to mid-1800s.

"Pewter was made in Europe, parts of Asia, and throughout North America. From the 1500s to the 1900s, three grades of pewter were used. Fine metal pewter was used for tableware objects and low-grade pewter was used for objects that were not in contact with food. Pewter, by the 19th Century, was used in large numbers for casting objects such as tankers, oil lamps and lanterns, candlesticks, tea sets, etc. Before the production of porcelains for tableware, like Limoges porcelains and Meissen porcelain, pewter was used for many types of tableware. From the late 18th Century until the early 20th Century, pewter was used to make cups, mugs, flagons, porridgers, chargers, trays, plates, platters, ash pots, etc. Pewter is a metal that is approximately between 85% and 95% tin with other metals like copper, antimony, silver or lead comprising the remaining parts. The word "pewter" comes from the term spelter often used to describe zinc and other alloys." - Dr. Lori Verderame

Dave

I am gonna have to disagree with you on this one.

I think the ops find is super rare.

1600's. IMO... if not earlier.

Upvote 0
I am gonna have to disagree with you on this one.

I think the ops find is super rare.

1600's. IMO... if not earlier.

can you point us towards a pic of something similar?

chub

Upvote 0
can you point us towards a pic of something similar?

chub

Yeah um... I don't there is gonna be "similar"... this MIGHT even be a "one off"... who knows.

The overall "look" to this item just smells old.

And in Wales no less.

I guess I am going by this feel and the rest of the math to end up with this possibility(s).... (ies)... :P

Anyway...

Yeah I just got the mojo off this one.

I have no "facts" to add.

And I am not in the research mode at this point... SO... you are on your own... yet anyway.

I don't mean this in any "rude" or "attitude" way... so take no offense.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back