Colonial Era Clipped Cornered Breast Plate (?)

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was invited back over to Coastal Georgia this past weekend and found what I thought might be a breast plate. It was found on the same lot as the 1798 Cent that I posted a couple of weeks ago. There's also been several flat buttons and other period items found here. This plate was down about 12" and was covered with oyster shells. So far, I have not been able to put a positive I.D. on it. I did read here that one similar was found and thought to be off of a trunk. Mine has no markings and wouldn't have much use on a trunk. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Coastal Georgia 2020 (1).jpg
    Coastal Georgia 2020 (1).jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Coastal Georgia 2020 (2).jpg
    Coastal Georgia 2020 (2).jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Coastal Georgia 2020 (3).jpg
    Coastal Georgia 2020 (3).jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Coastal Georgia 2020 (4).jpg
    Coastal Georgia 2020 (4).jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Coastal Georgia 2020 (5).jpg
    Coastal Georgia 2020 (5).jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 11

Thank you for posting those. It was an interesting read. These finds are still causing debate and it appears they are somewhat common finds at older sites. From the pictures that I saw in the posts mine appears to be a larger size than some and perhaps thicker as well.

The thing that continues to baffle me is considering the frequency that they turn up in the ground, to my knowledge, one has never turned up attached to a period piece of leather!

Because they've come loose from whatever they were attached to or been in the ground so long the leather has rotted away.

I don't recall seeing a Civil War buckle come out of the ground with leather attached...

Maybe someone needs to put a "find map" of the locations together - like was did for the infamous 'E disks' that keep showing up in mostly southern or eastern states. Of course, we haven't figured that one out, either. :dontknow:

Because they've come loose from whatever they were attached to or been in the ground so long the leather has rotted away.

I don't recall seeing a Civil War buckle come out of the ground with leather attached...

Maybe someone needs to put a "find map" of the locations together - like was did for the infamous 'E disks' that keep showing up in mostly southern or eastern states. Of course, we haven't figured that one out, either. :dontknow:
Matt, when I said not one has turned up on a period piece of leather, I was referring to a non-dug example. In other words, as frequently as they seem to be dug, why aren't there any non dug examples on the leather. They seem to have been relatively common.
BTW, I found mine in Antigua.

Last edited:
Matt, when I said not one has turned up on a period piece of leather, I was referring to a non-dug example. BTW, I found mine in Antigua

Ah. Gotcha...

Antigua. That certain throws a wrench into the gears... Was Antigua a British colony? Just curious if there's a colonial connection that might be similar to where other plates have been found in the US (or any other place in the world).

I noticed no one is giving the "horse blinder/blinker" theory much love.

Ah. Gotcha...

Antigua. That certain throws a wrench into the gears... Was Antigua a British colony? Just curious if there's a colonial connection that might be similar to where other plates have been found in the US (or any other place in the world).

I noticed no one is giving the "horse blinder/blinker" theory much love.
Yes Antigua way heavily fortified and garrisoned by the British during the 18th and 19th centuries to protect it's sugar interests. However, this piece was found on a civilian site that had 17th through the 19th century items.

The thing that continues to baffle me is considering the frequency that they turn up in the ground, to my knowledge, one has never turned up attached to a period piece of leather!
Nor have the hundreds of blinkers I & Dad have found, not 1.

Edit - Just read what you meant about non-dug. Yes that is odd, although if 18th C, it would be a rare survivor.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back